Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

gXrIBSc.gif

And Saints fans really came to life as well.

Second loudest Saints roar of the game. Many pockets of supporters coming to life.

When the winner floated through with 12 seconds left there were about 20,000 Saints fans who emerged from hibernation to go ballistic.

Many of them were in the bleachers on level 3. They had been quiet all day. But then there was an explosion of noise. It was beautiful. Not picked up the TV coverage but it was real.

Onfield, you can see that there is something special germinating in this group. They look really close and seem to be gelling.
Josh will regret it if he goes to the poopees

Buddy Franklin at 5 or Tom Williams at 6 discuss
ooh I love this game

1. 2023 Draft:
- Pick 5: Zane Duursma (Hawthorn)
- Pick 6: Ryley Sanders (North Melbourne)
- Pick 7: Ollie Murphy (GWS Giants)

2. 2022 Draft:
- Pick 5: Elijah Tsatas (Essendon)
- Pick 6: Bailey Humphrey (Gold Coast)
- Pick 7: Cameron Mackenzie (Hawthorn)

3. 2021 Draft:
- Pick 5: Mac Andrew (Gold Coast)
- Pick 6: Josh Rachele (Adelaide)
- Pick 7: Josh Ward (Hawthorn)

4. 2020 Draft:
- Pick 5: Braeden Campbell (Sydney)
- Pick 6: Denver Grainger-Barras (Hawthorn)
- Pick 7: Elijah Hollands (Gold Coast)

5. 2019 Draft:
- Pick 5: Dylan Stephens (Sydney)
- Pick 6: Fischer McAsey (Adelaide)
- Pick 7: Hayden Young (Fremantle)

6. 2018 Draft:
- Pick 5: Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)
- Pick 6: Ben King (Gold Coast)
- Pick 7: Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)

7. 2017 Draft:
- Pick 5: Adam Cerra (Fremantle)
- Pick 6: Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood)
- Pick 7: Hunter Clark (St Kilda)

8. 2016 Draft:
- Pick 5: Will Setterfield (GWS Giants)
- Pick 6: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton)
- Pick 7: Jack Scrimshaw (Gold Coast)

9. 2015 Draft:
- Pick 5: Darcy Parish (Essendon)
- Pick 6: Aaron Francis (Essendon)
- Pick 7: Jacob Hopper (GWS Giants)

10. 2014 Draft:
- Pick 5: Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)
- Pick 6: Caleb Marchbank (GWS Giants)
- Pick 7: Paul Ahern (GWS Giants)

11. 2013 Draft:
- Pick 5: Kade Kolodjashnij (Gold Coast)
- Pick 6: Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood)
- Pick 7: James Aish (Brisbane Lions)

12. 2012 Draft:
- Pick 5: Jake Stringer (Western Bulldogs)
- Pick 6: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs)
- Pick 7: Ollie Wines (Port Adelaide)

13. 2011 Draft:
- Pick 5: Matt Buntine (GWS Giants)
- Pick 6: Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide)
- Pick 7: Nick Haynes (GWS Giants)

14. 2010 Draft:
- Pick 5: Jared Polec (Brisbane Lions)
- Pick 6: Reece Conca (Richmond)
- Pick 7: Josh Caddy (Gold Coast)

15. 2009 Draft:
- Pick 5: Ben Cunnington (North Melbourne)
- Pick 6: Gary Rohan (Sydney)
- Pick 7: Brad Sheppard (West Coast)

Not a lot in it for mine..each to their own.

Coaching and Development (and injury luck) beats all.

DeGoey the clearest gap between 5 and 6. Watchers aren't saying that is this draft. Cerra better than Clark but didn't drag Freo into finals did he.

It's nearly 3 decades since 1995
When you tell people that the Bloos are just behind us in years waiting for that next flag....they look at you with a "that can't be right" look on their face.

LOVE IT.

Disappointing year for Butler. It was injury interrupted, but he looks like a shell of the player he was last year, and it feels like he plays for a free kick most of the time when he gets the ball inside 50. He probably gets re-signed for at least 1 more year, but if I was choosing a round 1 team now, he is the obvious pick as to who makes room for Henry.

ooh I love this game

1. 2023 Draft:

2. 2022 Draft:

3. 2021 Draft:

4. 2020 Draft:

5. 2019 Draft:

6. 2018 Draft:

7. 2017 Draft:

8. 2016 Draft:

9. 2015 Draft:

10. 2014 Draft:

11. 2013 Draft:

12. 2012 Draft:

13. 2011 Draft:

14. 2010 Draft:

15. 2009 Draft:

DeGoey the clearest gap between 5 and 6. Watchers aren't saying that is this draft. Cerra better than Clark but didn't drag Freo into finals did he.
Mate. I think you’ll find more often than not pick 5 is a helluva lot betta than 6 or 7 in all of those drafts.. not sure you prove the point you wanted to

"One of the most memorable wins" buddy.

Drafting isn't an exact science. Do I wish we got a higher pick? Sure. But there's no guarentee our pick 5 would be better than Pick 7. As I mentioned earlier, the Brownlow medal winner last year was Pick 58. Being an elite U18 player doesn't guarentee being an elite AFL player. It's all luck and development.

Again, Darcy Wilson was Pick 18 last year and was easily the best first year player in 2024. Wilkie, Sinclair and Marshall - our three best players - were all taken in the rookie draft ffs. McCartin, Billings, King, Clark, Coffield - all top 10 picks. There are no guarentees in drafting and getting yourself worked up because we won (which is the ****ing point of AFL football, mind you) is pointless.

You're crying over 2 draft positions (which there's no guarentee would net us an elite midfielder), instead of looking at the positives of our form in the second half of the season and how it has rejuvenated a group that looked disinterested and disenchanted heading into the bye. You can say it was a depleted Carlton side - but it was also a hungry, determined Carlton playing for their season. They were bringing the pressure, the crowd was overwhelmingly on their side (and the umpires in the 4th quarter) and we gutted it out and found a way to win.

If the club thought it was more important for us to lose this game, we would've lost it. Clearly we want to build a winning culture and think that's more important than sliding 2 draft positions. And I agree, buddy.
Well done buddy glad you got all warm n fuzzy over beating up a weak Blues team good for you..
Frankly I could not give a shit - I’m interested in genuine contending for top 4 and ultimately a flag before I die and this list isn’t it yet
Oh and I like Darcy Wilson but he ain’t the best first year player in 2024 ….hes been good but just think that one through without the Saints roles coloured glasses on
Once again and I’ve said this already of course you need to pick well but I’d take pick 5 over 7 all day over a dead rubber win against Carlton
Especially with Tassie on the horizon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s also a shit load of people who talk about winning culture.

We’re not playing finals, nor are we contending. Winning is important, but a winning culture requires more winning than losing.

Good to see us prioritise winning, but we’re also watching the finals as opposed to being in it.

Hopefully Lalor and Draper get caught snorting bags with the boys and slide to 8&9
seems some haven't heard a thing the club has been talking about for the past 6 weeks.
It isn't a culture about winning but a culture that leads to success based on preparation, thoroughness and dedication. certainly this game isn't a step in isolation but a further stone built upon the stones laid before that enabled wins over Sydney, Geelong and the Blues from the top 8.

"overnight success, 10 years in the making"

sure pick 5 sounds great, and disappointment is understandable seeing how much effort has been put in on BF around that pick, we still get our top 10 pick in a very even top end, and if we start decently next year, then surely we have a solid chance at LDU and any other mid that might be considering a change of scene.

Well done buddy glad you got all warm n fuzzy over beating up a weak Blues team good for you..
Frankly I could not give a shit - I’m interested in genuine contending for top 4 and ultimately a flag before I die and this list isn’t it yet
Oh and I like Darcy Wilson but he ain’t the best first year player in 2024 ….hes been good but just think that one through without the Saints roles coloured glasses on
Once again and I’ve said this already of course you need to pick well but I’d take pick 5 over 7 all day over a dead rubber win against Carlton
Especially with Tassie on the horizon
Ah well

So it’s no advantage having the selection ahead of your rivals ??
Have I entered the matrix…?
So you are a supporter that wants your team to lose? Have I entered the Twilight Zone?
As far as draft pick places, who knows? Do you know who they will pick and who we will? Do you know their future careers.

Only the impotent can have opinions like losing to get some spurious advantage. In the real world players want to win, supporters want to win, and sponsors are owed teams winning.
Does revenue earning for a club does not need is a pathetic 100 point loss like WCE or North.
But maybe you like losing, it's safe. Goodnight

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. 2023 Draft:

2. 2022 Draft:

3. 2021 Draft:

4. 2020 Draft:

5. 2019 Draft:

6. 2018 Draft:

7. 2017 Draft:

8. 2016 Draft:

9. 2015 Draft:

10. 2014 Draft:

11. 2013 Draft:

12. 2012 Draft:

13. 2011 Draft:

14. 2010 Draft:

15. 2009 Draft:

Pick 5-8 is more of a toss-up than people seem to realize. With hindsight, there are only a few truly great Pick 5's in the last 15 years. Connor Rozee, Mac Andrew and Jordan De Goey are the standouts (and both Rozee and Andrew had good talent beneath them in their drafts).

Our best young recruits in recent years came at Pick 10 (Phillipou), Pick 11 (Wanganeen-Milera), Pick 18 (Wilson) and Pick 33 (Owens). It's all development and a little bit of luck.

There was a bloke running around an oval in Ballarat today who is better than the all the picks before him.
and if club at pick 1 chose well …they coulda had him before anyone yeah ??
There’s a generational talent playing at WC that would look very good in Nth colours ….you gotta choose wisely but first you gotta have the choice

Last edited:
seems some haven't heard a thing the club has been talking about for the past 6 weeks.
It isn't a culture about winning but a culture that leads to success based on preparation, thoroughness and dedication. certainly this game isn't a step in isolation but a further stone built upon the stones laid before that enabled wins over Sydney, Geelong and the Blues from the top 8.

"overnight success, 10 years in the making"

sure pick 5 sounds great, and disappointment is understandable seeing how much effort has been put in on BF around that pick, we still get our top 10 pick in a very even top end, and if we start decently next year, then surely we have a solid chance at LDU and any other mid that might be considering a change of scene.
You can actually have both of what you’ve asked though. You can have intent to improve and for a successful environment and you can go without 4 points today. what you’re pointing to is the input, not the output.
Time will tell.

Jones has been a different player since he has come back in.

Has changed how he plays and is a lot more effective.

Honestly been brilliant recently. He’s a real dynamic POD mid. Where did it go for 4 years?

Mate. I think you’ll find more often than not pick 5 is a helluva lot betta than 6 or 7 in all of those drafts.. not sure you prove the point you wanted to
not as much as your saying to crack it over us beating Carlton today. Do a draft look at the top 2 on the ladder and it's not the difference between 2 picks. Happy to be glass half full on us winning games where our kids were in the thick of it myself

and if club at pick chose well …they coulda had him before anyone yeah ??
There’s a generational talent playing at WC that would look very good in Nth colours ….you gotta choose wisely but first you gotta have the choice
but we never had the choice

because we are building a win at all costs culture.

you're crying over spilt milk

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s the choice not knowing the future
If I have choice before you - pick well - it doesn’t matter what you do ???
Geezus tough crowd ..

Just enjoying seeing Joffa go you and you cowering. Weak from you to be honest. I thought you were a tough guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back