Preview Round 24: BigFooty Preview – Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STK has travelled interstate 6 times this year for THREE wins

We have covered this already, that’s just your opinion

Saints have one last crack to break the interstate win hoodoo this week.

I'm hoping Cal really is good to play.

Now an integral part of the team.
He is indeed. I love his speed and ability to read the play. When Gunston came in for the West Coast game after Ah Chee was injured, Fage’s called it a ‘like for like’ selection. I think we can all see that’s not the case, but let’s accept that Fages believes that. If that’s so, there really is no spot for Gunston in our forward line. Our forward line was dynamic against Collingwood and it started in the first quarter with Ah Chee.

DISCLAIMER: Callum Ah Chee is endorsed by the Over 50’s Clique.

#AhCheeForMe

1692712378203.jpeg

#CHEEtAH

#AhCheetah

Last edited:
He is indeed. I love his speed and ability to read the play. When Gunston came in for the West Coast game after Ah Chee was injured, Fage’s called it a ‘like for like’ selection. I think we can all see that’s not the case, but let’s accept that Fages believes that. If that’s so, there really is no spot for Gunston in our forward line. Our forward line was dynamic against Collingwood and it started in the first quarter with Ah Chee.

DISCLAIMER: Callum Ah Chee is endorsed by the Over 50’s Clique.

#AhCheeForMe

View attachment 1782912

#CHEEtAH
sloth GIF

Gunston on a lead

Hey guys, good luck this weekend.

Just to clear something up, we actually HAVE won interstate this year.
Glad to clear it all up, in case you were unsure.

Saying that, this is just an opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

Dude, Etihad is not interstate.

Just to clear something up, we actually HAVE won interstate this year.
Yeah, not what I've heard. There seem to be conflicting opinions on the matter.

We'll go with the consensus, thanks.

sloth GIF

Gunston on a lead
Lol.
I have one important thing to say on this matter.
Last home game just before his injury.
The ball was being kicked from the interchange area sideline.
gunston lead out from deep pocket towards the kicker ( at pace , with defender in tow).
Hippy lead into where Gunston was.
I think it was Charlie who moved from the pocket( there abouts ) towards the centre and out from goal , all players moving into spaces created by one another.
This all happened with speed , and Gunston was the first to open space.
It was the best I've seen our forward line move ever, considering all the moving parts and speed of it all.
So now I'm in two minds , because I have been bitching for years about our stagnant forward line.
This little 10 second part of our game was something else.

Now let's see if Rayner can have the same game as last week , because he was impressive last week and looked like he benefited by a change in role.
As I say I'm in two minds.
Possibly he would be (Gunners) be more valuable as a coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol.
I have one important thing to say on this matter.
Last home game just before his injury.
The ball was being kicked from the interchange area sideline.
gunston lead out from deep pocket towards the kicker ( at pace , with defender in tow).
Hippy lead into where Gunston was.
I think it was Charlie who moved from the pocket( there abouts ) towards the centre and out from goal , all players moving into spaces created by one another.
This all happened with speed , and Gunston was the first to open space.
It was the best I've seen our forward line move ever, considering all the moving parts and speed of it all.
So now I'm in two minds , because I have been bitching for years about our stagnant forward line.
This little 10 second part of our game was something else.

Now let's see if Rayner can have the same game as last week , because he was impressive last week and looked like he benefited by a change in role.
As I say I'm in two minds.
Possibly he would be (Gunners) be more valuable as a coach?
Some good points here. Based on watching the Footscray, Carlton, Hawthorn, St.Kilda Melbourne and Collingwood games live, I think that the current forward set up is far superior to the “Three Talls” set up. With Gunston, Daniher and Hipwood all presenting as targets there is not enough space for Charlie Cameron, who needs space to operate in and to a lesser extent Lincoln McCarthy. Additionally, if Gunston is on a lead that is honoured and he doesn’t mark it, it really is ‘goodnight Irene’ because he is so poor at contested footy on the deck.

The current Hipwood, Daniher and Cameron line up very much reminds me of the Quinlan, Osborne, Conlan structure that Fitzroy used to such great success. Brisbane’s forward line worked beautifully against Collingwood and Fagan shouldn’t change a winning formula. We looked DANGEROUS and Collingwood were rattled. This last point is important because I believe the current forward set up is harder to defend against, which will be borne out in coming weeks.

Last edited:
Would prefer to keep Lyons as the sub because StKilda are very good outside the contest.
Their game on the weekend was played 69% of game time outside the contest.
Which is one of the highest in the comp for the year.
I remember the game on the Gold Coast where Hippy did his ACL that they absolutely cut us up with their run and spread from contest.
So I would just bring in Kai for Linc if AhChee is fit.
Lyons is gonski on the spread as we all know.
69%. How is this measured? Contested vs uncontested possessions?
Screenshot_20230823_162103_AFL.jpg
Yeah that differential is obscene. More than double uncontested for both teams. Never seen anything like that. Ours are much closer to 1:1 usually. When we played them earlier in the year it looked like this:
Screenshot_20230823_162301_AFL.jpg
So again a larger than normal discrepancy for our games, but nowhere near the 1:2 in the Geelong game on Saturday.

By comparison, this is how our game against Collingwood looked on Friday:
Screenshot_20230823_162431_AFL.jpg
So around 1:1.5.

69%. How is this measured? Contested vs uncontested possessions?
View attachment 1783418
Yeah that differential is obscene. More than double uncontested for both teams. Never seen anything like that. Ours are much closer to 1:1 usually. When we played them earlier in the year it looked like this:
View attachment 1783419
So again a larger than normal discrepancy for our games, but nowhere near the 1:2 in the Geelong game on Saturday.

By comparison, this is how our game against Collingwood looked on Friday:
View attachment 1783420
So around 1:1.5.
Some Champion Data expert mentioned it in a Podcast.
Also mentioned that it was very high as an average for the year.
It appears that Geelong just didn’t want to contest. And Sts held it on the outside for large chunks of time.

Let's not underestimate StKilda....Ross has turned them right around and they've been in the 8 all season....they are good and have a lot to play for.

I don't like it when we get talked up all week. This time it's how we haven't lost at the Gabba blah, blah. going to be tough for the Saints etc..

I hope the boys don't get too comfortable and complacent at home and blow it....we need to win...we HAVE to win.

(not sure I'll be able to watch the game for a couple of reasons but I will watch the scores)

I was pretty shocked personally to read about the staggering interstate record of St Kilda. It has definitely impacted my opinion on the match

It’s astounding how confident Saints fans are about Saturday. They about as confident as the last 10 teams fans that have made the trip.

It’s astounding how confident Saints fans are about Saturday. They about as confident as the last 10 teams fans that have made the trip.

They're buoyant, you can't argue that.

But to your second point, my Essendon supporting mate was under no illusions when they came to play at the Gabba earlier in the year.

Apparently, he has an uncle. Can't wait to meet him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back