Preview Round 3, 2022: Blues v Hawks, 1:10pm Sunday 3rd April, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense is always about a team defensive effort, so no doubt if he uses his tank to get up the ground, then a midfielder will take over. It is never as simple as can 1 v 1 cover the same distance.

I could ask the Hawks, how will they keep up with Walsh, he averages more meters per game than virtually every teams best distance in one game for the year. I think only 5 clubs had someone run further in one game than Walsh's average distance run.

My guess is Saad may potentially go to Moore, but I am not 100% sure how they will juggle the small match ups.
Walsh is a gun gut runner, but if the hawks and blues had a combined 2k time trial 5 of the top 6 spots would be hawks players. I think you’ll win the game but it won’t be because you’ve run us off our feet

Walsh is a gun gut runner, but if the hawks and blues had a combined 2k time trial 5 of the top 6 spots would be hawks players. I think you’ll win the game but it won’t be because you’ve run us off our feet
True. It's not a game of tennis - but a game of 36 players at any given time. One Carlton guy running like a chook without a head won't cause much. Sam has this covered.

First look at CJ, Hardwick, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Frost, DGB and Day this week. On top of such a settled backline last week, we've arguably got our most talented in terms of reading of the play to come back in (and that is saying something with Sicily already there). A bit of what we are doing is reminding me of Richmond at their best in previous years... a side that moves on quickly and takes risks, lots of moving pieces once we get the ball, and a flexible/nimble back 6 that control the air greater than the sum of their height suggests due to intercept ability and having strong readers of the play. DBG, Hardwick and Frost also gel to give us a tough, aggressive edge as well, and once we get it, we almost getting to the Suckling, Guerra, Birchall level kicking as a collective.

Given the strength of backline, and also our dangerous forwards (Gunston, Breust, Wingard, Lewis, Moore, McEvoy again is a real handful for the opposition), I would say if Tom Mitchell, Worpel and O'Meara can stick at focusing on their role and keeping it more simple in previous years and focusing on getting hands onto it and quickly firing to the better kicks and ball users, we should be able to be right in this game. I saw signs with O'Meara hitting multiple short passes lace out to move it on, rather than charging forward (and getting caught, or doing a wobbly punt that was very hit/miss) on the weekend. Worpel was also excellent in the contested areas, and had huge involvement in scores and key 50/50 situations, so what a great challenge to try to build on that against the Blues who have an elite midfield. Nash and Newcombe are also a point of different with their size and aggression defensively.

Should be a ripper of a game, don't see any reason why we aren't right in this, even though am more cautiously optimistic than anything.

TBF after putting up with our side being shithouse for 20 years I don't blame some of our supporters for getting a little too excited, it could all come crashing down on sunday
Neither team should be overly concerned about losing on Sunday, short of getting absolutely belted.

Both sides have shown plenty in the opening two rounds and someone has to lose (or draw). It will probably just be a minor setback for which ever team loses. Both clubs are clearly on the rise again.

This is a great point, Tom Phillips went from being unbeatable in Collingwood's time trial to being behind Finn, CJ, Ward and Dylan Moore this year. If we get beaten anywhere with these guys it won't be for endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBF after putting up with our side being shithouse for 20 years I don't blame some of our supporters for getting a little too excited, it could all come crashing down on sunday
No assumption from us after round two, but their is one thing that is clear is we don’t look like giving away easy wins.

By round 6 will be interesting how team level out, but probably the best coaching mix I have seen you have since ratten

The ruck battle will be interesting and important. Pitto has upped a notch this year with two good games especially against the dogs tiny hands. Win that with a midfield on will go a long way to winning for either Carlton or Hawthorn. Close game for mine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fixed.

Got to love the level of arrogance on the Blues board at the moment. Talking about how they should smash us like we're not both currently 2-0, or that we both finished last season 3.3% apart on the ladder.

Their improvement this season with a new coach and some fresh faces is of course clearly the real deal, while ours has a laundry list of reasons to be discredited.

Will be interesting to see how some of them spin it if we beat them.

Will be interesting to see how some of them spin it if we beat them.
If we win, I'll be going on a "like frenzy" on a bunch of posts in that thread...there will be :tearsofjoy: emojis everywhere by the time I'm finished...

OK, I'm gonna say it.

We have beaten 2 very, very ordinary teams.

Next up are Carlton, St. Kilda, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond, Brisbane.

So, after 10 games we should expect to be... 4-6.

I hope I am wrong. I guess I am tempering my own expectations.

OK, I'm gonna say it.

We have beaten 2 very, very ordinary teams.

Next up are Carlton, St. Kilda, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond, Brisbane.

So, after 10 games we should expect to be... 4-6.

I hope I am wrong. I guess I am tempering my own expectations.
tell you what, pre-season I would have taken 4-6 by Round 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back