Preview Round 3, 2022: Blues v Hawks, 1:10pm Sunday 3rd April, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm gonna say it.

We have beaten 2 very, very ordinary teams.

Next up are Carlton, St. Kilda, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond, Brisbane.

So, after 10 games we should expect to be... 4-6.

I hope I am wrong. I guess I am tempering my own expectations.
Carlton, every chance.
Saints, back us.
Geelong, every chance probably and some.
Sydney, UTAS, i'd say yes. Won last year at SCG also. But who knows, every chance.
Melbourne, doubt it but drew last year and Suns got close.
Essendon, interesting one, def a chance and won last year, not playing well.
Richmond, we will win one of the two MCG games, this or late in the year.
Brisbane at UTAS, i'd give us a good chance in this.

OPTIMISTIC AND EXTREMELY BIASED WARNING!

After a quick scroll through the Blues preview thread, it has to be said that our recent dominance over them has left some deep psychological scars on the supporters base. Some ripping comments in there... post #95 is hilarious. Worth a read.

Nash to Cripps hopefully. That could be something.

I hope we win but I also want to see our players get stats. The game against Port was exciting and fast but that style doesn't allow for many possessions for the likes of our younger players but also players like Mitchell and O'Meara. The other concern I have is that you can't play on all the time, and I hope we are drilled in tempo football which is also very important.

Can't help but think that the winner of this game will be the team that adapts best on the fly to the other. Their offensive set is fearsome, and their midfield is clicking well.
I'd like us to stick with what we have from last week- give Day an extra week in the 2's given there is no rush with injury (If Chad doesn't get up I'm assuming Day will get the call up though) and though he was influential in the game against the wobbles, I think he can take his game to another level before forcing his way into the 1's.

I'd like at times for us to send Ward to Walsh, and Finn to Cripps. Not for long periods of game time, but at various points throughout the game to give them experience against the best, without detracting from their developing game styles.

Massive game for Frost and DGB- easily the biggest test for DGB, and given the size of Curnow/McKay I think they'll have a real challenge on their hands.

What wins us this game:
  • Dynamicism across all lines. Keep the blues guessing with our rotations and continue to capitalise on our talented players who can play in multiple roles
  • momentum. Our team froths itself hard and I can see them getting some serious rolls on.
  • Coaching adaptability. Smitchell has shown at BHill and in his first two senior games that he can adapt on the fly.

What could "cost" us this game:
  • youth. We're a bloody young squad and the blues have a lot of very big bodies on their list. I'm expecting Nash and Newc to have massive games on the inside this week, the challenge will be whether they can beat up against their counterparts all game
  • Defensive girth... or lack thereof. Their forward line has some wide boys- like I said earlier I think this is the first and arguably thiccest test for DGB in his young career
  • Midfield domination. We weathered the storm against port better than anyone could have hoped. Two weeks in a row might be a big ask, but I'm expecting us to be more competitive in that space.

I think we will go into half time chasing a few goals, but will really bring it in the second half. A goal either way for mine.

Yeah, nah, play Day

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of posters giving Carlton way too much credit. Let’s not forget, they’re Carlton.

Stuff tempering expectations. We’re up and about and every chance of winning. They’re hardly Melbourne.

If we lose, we lose. But strap in, watch us put up a fight and enjoy another week of notching up a win.
I don't really get the tempering. We just flogged Port in radelaide by 64 points. 64!!! Carlton fell over the line against the Dogs - they were on the ropes and were absolutely gassed. Mitchell's running machine will grind them into submission. Enjoy the build-up I say. Run around reminding everyone we are the greatest club of the modern era. We will flog these pretenders. And, if we don't, then we can worry about being despondent. This is the week for Dom-level optimism bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect him to all over Pittonet this week. The best way to Cripps and co. out of the equation would be for him to use his height to belt the ball as far away from them as possible.

I was actually pretty impressed with Pittonet last week. I think this we’ll be a really interesting battle. I’m hoping Ned comes out on top, but I don’t think it still be a thrashing.

the second we beat north melbourne in what was clearly a battle of two contending, finely-refined sides with minimal skill error, i put my entire life savings on us to win the premiership bar $1000 dollars, which i instead used to buy tickets to the grand final

Why not just bet on reaching the grand final?

What’s been missed in the media rush to generalise as Sam Mitchell’s attacking hawks is the way we have frustrated teams when they are in posession It’s a form of zone defence and it is still a work in progress
Even then they seem to be running out games better than last year allocating all the spare spots to midfielders at the expense of KPP

Last edited:
The Hawks have done well.
The Roos game showed that we were the better team
The game against Port showed... Sam Mitchell can coach. .. and we were amazingly lucky to kick well. (we we’re not a top 4 team).

Anyone who has watched Carlton play will know… the Hawks will lose.. and substantially.

We have many problems. Finn either has to be a tagger or should be out (though I liked 1 of his kicks), Worpel did great things and bad things, for me is on the edge… who to replace? Long...and McDonald is 100% capable.

This year is about the CREATION of our next great years.

So far Tom Mitchell has been his usual self, racking up positions… but Mitchells run and gun game plan actually works to make Tom’s contribution more important.

The game against Port showed... Sam Mitchell can coach. .. and we were amazingly lucky to kick well. (we we’re not a top 4 team).

Anyone who has watched Carlton play will know… the Hawks will lose.. and substantially.

We have many problems. Finn either has to be a tagger or should be out (though I liked 1 of his kicks), Worpel did great things and bad things, for me is on the edge… who to replace? Long...and McDonald is 100% capable.

So far Tom Mitchell has been his usual self, racking up positions… but Mitchells run and gun game plan actually works to make Tom’s contribution more important.

There is tempering expectations and then there is this. No one expects us to be top 4,personally I still think we are bottom 8 which is completely fine , but how can you not be seriously impressed in the first two games and not give us a chance at all against Carlton ?. That port team + alir almost rolled Brisbane at the gabba.

Carlton have a much better fwd line then port but is their midfield that much better ?

Wines/cripps
Boak/cerra
Butters/walsh
Houston/Kennedy
Drew/Hewitt
Amon/ o'brien
Lycett/pittonet

There is tempering expectations and then there is this. No one expects us to be top 4,personally I still think we are bottom 8 which is completely fine , but how can you not be seriously impressed in the first two games and not give us a chance at all against Carlton ?. That port team + alir almost rolled Brisbane at the gabba.

Carlton have a much better fwd line then port but is their midfield that much better ?

Wines/cripps
Boak/cerra
Butters/walsh
Houston/Kennedy
Drew/Hewitt
Amon/ o'brien
Lycett/pittonet
On paper it would favour Port.

This reads as half satire and half a legitimate opinion.

'Extremely lucky to kick well'
Elite athletes kick 13.0 in their chosen career. Can't be skill, just has to be luck?

'Anyone who has watched Carlton play will know... the Hawks will lose... and substantially'.
Will be interesting when the Blues go 22-0 and win each final by 10 goals. Just give them the cup now I say.

'Worpel is on the edge'.
22 disposals and 34 pressure acts, up from 12 and 7 last week. NOW is when you want to drop him for a rookie listed 18 year old who has played 1 VFL game?

'Tom Mitchell has been his usual self'.
Titch is averaging around less disposals than normal, but the team balance and spread is far better for it.

Never thought he was soft just don't think he has any standout weapons. He is a solid Nick Ries, Craig Treleven, Tim Clarke 80-90 game type player who looks ok in an ordinary team but will get pushed out as we get better

Started the season well though
i liked Craig Treleven as a footballer, the only reason he played that many games was because he was recruited as a 26 year old from the WAFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back