Autopsy Round 3, 2023: St.Kilda v Essendon *150 YEARS OF THE SAINTS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Seb Ross playing the exact role I want from him. Just a consistent possession getter who doesn’t have to be top dog, but rather uses experience to just get to the places he’s needed. Occasionally goes back and does his prime engine room stuff.

Laid some enormous tackles 2 of which were paid holding the ball at integral points in the game. A few times grabbed the ball out of the middle and got clearances as Essendon had the ascendency. Shepards and bumps too.

It's hard to do my 3 2 1, 3 and 2 could go in either direction but I'm going with

3 Wilkie. Captain. Huge. He's All Australian this year and that's that.
2 Mason Wood. Huge also. What a star, he's getting the best out of himself.
1 my boy Higgins. You have to love Higgins, and he's been down this year but he stood up when needed.

I ******* love this club. What a brilliant night.
Did Mason Wood injure his shoulder? I am afraid to ask?

I think we were a Max King and Steele away from taking a massive dump on the bombers tonight.
Tim membrey as well, reckon he averaged 5 goals a game vs essendon

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lost my ****in voice. When Butts kicked that goal in the third I went ****ing nuts.

So proud of this side honestly with everything going on. Unbelievable.

Mason Wood AC joint. bloody hell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owens a ****ing star. Only the 14 touches but could have had at least 3 reasonable goals from his haul. But his attack on the footy his ridiculous strength in the contest and his aerial prowess were so impressive.

Especially when he in the middle of being tackled hard got boot to ball and kicked to a teammate for a direct goal assist. Or when he went up for a marking contest, the ball went to ground and he immediately followed up by tackling the bomber for a holding the ball.

On the eye test our most promising of the young ones tonight! Windy ok but lifted with that goal mostly dealt in handballs for the first half. Philippou quiet in influence but his handballs are elite. Never stopped trying but his strength against bigger players was where they had him.

Byrnes very good of halfback/wing

Owens a ******* star. Only the 14 touches but could have had at least 3 reasonable goals from his haul. But his attack on the footy his ridiculous strength in the contest and his aerial prowess were so impressive.

Especially when he in the middle of being tackled hard got boot to ball and kicked to a teammate for a direct goal assist. Or when he went up for a marking contest, the ball went to ground and he immediately followed up by tackling the bomber for a holding the ball.

On the eye test our most promising of the young ones tonight! Windy ok but lifted with that goal mostly dealt in handballs for the first half. Philippou quiet in influence but his handballs are elite. Never stopped trying but his strength against bigger players was where they had him.

Byrnes very good of halfback/wing

11 of those 14 were contested.

Gutsy win Saints!

I thought with the momentum they had they would run over us, but we rallied and fought out a defining win for the club.

Mason was huge as was Wilkie. Mason just mentioned he might miss some weeks with an AC. Stocker was limping at the end, plus Webster looks like he has broken his nose or cheek bone also...Im sick of bloody injuries.

Last edited:
Lost my in voice. When Butts kicked that goal in the third I went ****** nuts.

So proud of this side honestly with everything going on. Unbelievable.
What a huge night for the club. The pre-match stuff was genuinely awesome, our pre-game entertainment was way better than the AFL Grand Final.. We put together a seriously fantastic show before the game, and our first quarter matched that.

The next two quarters we lost control, but in new Saints fashion, we wrestled back control and slammed home the goals. What a night for the club, and for us. We might finish this round on top of the ladder.

I love this footy club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2023: St.Kilda v Essendon *150 YEARS OF THE SAINTS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back