Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Ffs it’s hard to stay positive with this team, I always start the season off hoping like hell this year will be different and try to think positively as I honestly don’t know how some of you continue the negativity for 12 months of the year. I need a spell from the doom and gloom, but it never seems to last long until the reality hits.

**** we suck in big games. I’ve had a flipping gutful of losing these games, so predictably. Carbon copy of the Collingwood game last year, where we patted each other on the back for and then got our arses kicked against a bunch of plodders in the showdown the following week. Load up on the bombers for gather round. The way we accept losses like this as just bad luck, bad umpiring or it is just Melbourne or Collingwood’s crazy goal kicking does my head in. We flipping choked under presssure, again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We could bring in Lord and Georgiades, I hear they're both fabulous set shot goal kickers :port:
Georgiades has been kicking pretty good this year and Lord is a better set shot than Dixon.
None of our problem kickers are kids, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
All anyone can do with these sort of players is drop/delist.
I believe once the younger guys get back there is no spot for Charlie or Finn.

Evans has absolutely zero AFL traits. Complete waste of a spot in the 22 and a list spot. If we are going to play a slow, immobile forward then I would much rather Williams who at least has some skill.

21 more inside 50s, more scoring shots, more clearances, double the marks inside 50. Lose the game.

One of "those" hinkley specials.
Again. This list is definitely good enough to make a dent at the pointy end. But fmd, Hinckley needs to get out so we can capitalise. It is fair dinkum the definition of insanity what has been going on since he has been coach.

Such a crooked sport.

We had all the ascendancy until the umps turned the game.

We fell apart when the umps piled on and never regained a lick of composure while melb smelt the blood in the water.

The more we’ve improved our backline with additions the less organised it’s looked.

Like every year Ken has been here a generally well organised backline that was undersized but well organised battled well and occasionally (but too often for our liking) got beat up by tall kfs has become a bombscare team where no one seems to have any idea what they’re doing.

This year it has been comically bad. How many times ive seen players spoil their teammates down back is astonishing. How the **** did we get rid of Jonas and get worse at that?

I can’t imagine if we blindfolded our defenders we would get any worse. It’s unacceptable and total dogshit.

Esava made some really dumb errors tonight but fought back with workrate. He needs a rocket. Don’t be such a dumbass.

I was told ad nasuem that bringing in these blokes would make Alir better, this is the worst footy here played at port by far. Like not just a little worse, he’s like half the player of previous seasons.

We might have improved personnel but we are playing far less than the sum of our parts.

We desperately need to either play Bergman back, who covered a lot of sins last year with his attack on the ball in the air and on the ground or play Williams , who has a smarter head than some down there. One or both of those guys go back and never leave.

Forward line same old issues with gameplan.

Rioli tried his heart out. But seems to be him versus an army out there. Funny how the only way we had any space in the forward fifty was when we pushed all our talls up the ground.

Dixon does some stuff where youre like thank **** we have him then just by weight of sheer opportunity he doesn’t do enough. Like we go through him at every opportunity and get so little return for it. At some point is what he gives us worth what damage he’s doing? I don’t know.

Finny is one of the most frustrating players ever. He looks like he’s checked out this year for sure. Has some great moments but takes ages to work into it and can **** up the simplest thing.

Todd is having a very good year but tonight wasn’t poor but we needed him to be a star centrepiece, not Dixon’s robin while Dixon does a Dixon. Set up goals with 3 goal assists but we need to play through him more. Needs to tell his teammates to play through him more, tho that’s essentially telling them to ignore Hinkley.

Dbj is having a good year imo but only useful when we’re on. Disappears outside of that.

Evans and mcintee might as well have went home at qtr time. Passengers.

If mead is only going to play a half of football and watch the rest he might as well be sub. Looks great early then fades. Again and again.

Drew amazing, he’s arguably in with a shot at our bnf at this rate. Wines fitter but not looking when he kicks. Butters and rozee ok but they should be better than ok.

Jones should be fired into the sun. I would argue the worst 3 games from a port player I can remember, I know it’s recency bias but **** me.

Perfect game for him tonight, would have caused a bit of mayhem back there and the physicality would have freed up Butters a bit, a big loss.

One of the great things about getting injured or suspended for a while is that people start mythologising you as some kind of saviour when in actual fact you likely would've played just as bad as whoever took your place.

Case in point, Powell-Pepper, who had 9 possessions, 2 tackles and 0 goals last time he set foot on the field (in a big knockout finals flop).

Yeah, you're right, and that's the most maddening thing. You know how these games are going to pan out almost before they start. Nothing ever changes, so of course it's insanity expecting the outcome to be different.

We do try and claim the corridor more often which is a positive but even that I guess is because we don't really play wingers anymore.
For many many many years I used to care that I missed a Port game live.

I once listened to a game whilst taking wedding photos (not mine, I’m not that stupid).

But since last year I’ve not cared. I had other things to do tonight, and I didn’t look for the scores once,
I just KNEW this game would end up like it seems it did.

It’s sad really, as long as there are happy clappers to take my place then who cares right?

One of the great things about getting injured or suspended for a while is that people start mythologising you as some kind of saviour when in actual fact you likely would've played just as bad as whoever took your place.

Case in point, Powell-Pepper, who had 9 possessions, 2 tackles and 0 goals last time he set foot on the field (in a big knockout finals flop).

They were walking the ball out from the exact spots he cannons around.
You’re wrong.

So much easier to accept losses like this when you’re dead inside from watching the same shit year-after-year.

I felt nothing in the moments we were up and about, and felt nothing when we lost.

I had a “ride every kick” mentality following Port Adelaide my whole life, until very recently.

Good times!

Port won the contested possession count 143-139, clearance count 52-37 and inside 50 count 66-45, but could not turn that into into the one score that counts.

Sigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ffs it’s hard to stay positive with this team, I always start the season off hoping like hell this year will be different and try to think positively as I honestly don’t know how some of you continue the negativity for 12 months of the year. I need a spell from the doom and gloom, but it never seems to last long until the reality hits.

* we suck in big games. I’ve had a *ing gutful of losing these games, so predictably. Carbon copy of the Collingwood game last year, where we patted each other on the back for and then got our arses kicked against a bunch of plodders in the showdown the following week. Load up on the bombers for gather round. The way we accept losses like this as just bad luck, bad umpiring or it is just Melbourne or Collingwood’s crazy goal kicking does my head in. We *ing choked under presssure, again.

Nah we beat the bombers they are a crap team and we love beating crap teams and we love having hinkleys smiling face on tv after we have smashed a shit side..

Next big test will be collongwood in round 6. Pencil that in for a loss as well

11 behinds haha. Who would have guessed. We fail at the basics under Hinkley
Trevor was the last caller after the game - he was absolutely spot on. He said that Ken might be a nice bloke, but he's not a football coach, and we'll never win a flag under his leadership. He added, "Why won't someone at the club grow a pair, and sack him?"

Hear hear Trev!!!!!!!!!!!!

The umpiring was frustrating but had no real impact on the result at all. Only clear *ups were the two clear holding the ball/throw/whatever in the space of 5 seconds that they kicked a goal from. We still lose even if that didn't happen.

It's just the same old bullshit year after year. Same pathetic forward entries to packs of players. Same idiotic mistakes at crucial moments of the game. Same lack of composure in the last quarter of a tight game.

Thought our KPD's did a decent job, even though their talls kicked 5 between them. Esava and Zerk were composed and defended well.

Our small defenders, less good. Burton has just lost the plot. Houston was disappointing. Jones was an absolute pisstake. He's got some tools but we've said this for a couple years now. You can't play top level football with ball handling like him. It's just not possible. I've never seen someone drop so many uncontested marks in a game before. Baffling.

Mids were hit and miss. Drew was phenomenal. Butters played his worst game in 3 years. Wines was decent. Boak was great early. Rozee wasteful. Mead good early but faded.

We can finish the Evans experiment. He doesn't have it. Mcentee had a good first half, then did nothing again.

Had every chance to win that game. Didn't. Hinkley 101
Their last goal before 3/4 time. 45 seconds left. Oliver tackled and throws it, not paid, seconds later butters throw paid, resulting in a forward 50 entry. Ball up, max Gawn throws finlayson out of the contest and somehow gets a free for. That’s 2 frees in the space of 45 seconds that resulted in a shot on goal that shouldn’t have been. In a tight game Macca it makes a massive difference. Their last goal was from a forward 50 entry that can not have travelled even 10m but was paid a mark. There were plenty of examples of poor umpiring that cost us in this game.

Last edited:
Trevor was the last caller after the game - he was absolutely spot on. He said that Ken might be a nice bloke, but he's not a football coach, and we'll never win a flag under his leadership. He added, "Why won't someone at the club grow a pair, and sack him?"

Hear hear Trev!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listening to Tredders he's starting to sound like em boys club now. What happened to him about listening to our voices?

For many many many years I used to care that I missed a Port game live.

I once listened to a game whilst taking wedding photos (not mine, I’m not that stupid).

But since last year I’ve not cared. I had other things to do tonight, and I didn’t look for the scores once,
I just KNEW this game would end up like it seems it did.

It’s sad really, as long as there are happy clappers to take my place then who cares right?
Ah yes, the great replacement. The ultimate goal of the Koch administration. They've done it well. Top notch gas lighting.

Nah we beat the bombers they are a crap team and we love beating crap teams and we love having hinkleys smiling face on tv after we have smashed a s**t side..

Next big test will be collongwood in round 6. Pencil that in for a loss as well

Freo will be scary

- Jones ..... enough is enough. Has to go and it's not just this week he has cost us goals.

- Dixon. We all knew he would miss that. Been happening for years and years and years....

- Butters was great again. Someone wrote earlier in the thread that Zac was poor. Absolute rubbish. When he was off in the last quarter, Melbourne kicked 2 quick goals. When he came back on, we regained some control again.

I hate night games against the better sides at home. We all know a close loss is coming.

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.......................

Lachie Jones is a product of how we roll with certain positional selections I reckon, he should've been dropped a few times just on skill errors. I like him however you learn fukc all without consequences for bad form, I really don't rate our skills coaching it's basic shit for someone who drops chest marks galore get the hands out take it in front of the eyes.

I know no one wants to hear it but old school coaches would've sorted this shit out in five minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back