Round 3 Team Discussion. Hawthorn Vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Preview and Discussion Round 3 Richmond v Hawthorn

You asked me the same question the other day Hodginator. I am not sure if you saw my reasoning. If you didn't, go to page 11 #163, I think, of the "preview" thread. I would be interested in your thoughts on my response.

You wrote he deserves a spot to test out his hip, I don't think you deserve a spot to test an injury. Test it out at Box Hill going full tilt rather getting an average report from what I read of last weeks game.

His composure with the ball is also overrated. He has many dinky little kicks that go higher than they do long because he doesn't have the confidence to go long. Happy to be proven wrong this week though. I'm sure he'll be aware that he'll be playing for his spot.

Re: Teams & Discussion. Hawthorn Vs Richmond

I was at training for a short period and didn't see anything to set the alarm bells ringing. I be fairly certain that he will play. It's not like last year when they decided not to play him against the Eagles. That was because of the flight more than anything else.

I never saw Ellis as the problem. Our game plan was all over the shop.

I'm not sure he's fit enough, but as they've picked him, you would think so.

Anyway, if there is one person in our team that can lower his eyes and hit a blooming target inside 50, it's Ellis. I don't see him as a weak link at all. He's always hard at it, his skills are very good and he rarely turns it over.

I still have faith that Ellis can become a very good player for our club. For those that have written him off...well, suffer.:) I think he can execute the type of game plan we have very effectively. I think he may need a couple of games, though to really get into it. What our game plan does NOT want, is turnover kings. This is what really hurts us.

Good luck X-Man. Hope you play well.

You wrote he deserves a spot to test out his hip, I don't think you deserve a spot to test an injury. Test it out at Box Hill going full tilt rather getting an average report from what I read of last weeks game.

His composure with the ball is also overrated. He has many dinky little kicks that go higher than they do long because he doesn't have the confidence to go long. Happy to be proven wrong this week though. I'm sure he'll be aware that he'll be playing for his spot.

He has been getting through at BH. So it would appear that he has recovered from the hip op in the off season at that tempo. Step up in tempo will tell how well he has recovered.

Composure with the ball, well I guess we will have to agree to disagree:thumbsu:

Agreed, he will be aware that he is playing for his spot, and that is why (IMHO) he deserves the crack.

Don't mind X at all but I think pup is going to be a great pick up and can't wait to see him in the regular season.

Bit annoying with the Box Hill bye.

His game two weeks ago for Box Hill (for those that didn't SEE it) was exceptional. He gathered 13 clearances and 2 goals. For those that make judgements on Box Hill performances, it may be beneficial to watch the matches, rather than basing your opinions solely on the best given in the paper. It seems that 90% of people participating in these forums are hell-bent on seeing Smith and Puopolo at the expense of experience. They will get there chance. But for now we have a 23yo that has done everything right to earn a call-up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder why Guerra's not getting a go

He's been a key component of our back six for years. And apparently has had one of his best pre-seasons since coming to the club.

He was our most interchanged player last year, Maybe his fitness is an issue with the new sub rules commencing this year.

He's not showing the desired form I guess, Shepp.

Seems to be the case, early this year, that players are being rewarded for form, and selected accordingly.

A few of the older brigade need to constantly be on their A-game or they'll find themselves at Box Hill, and I don't mind that one bit.

I would really like to see our goal kicking improve by 100% this week, there is no point in having 75 inside 50s if the ball is just going to be going back into the Tigers players hands...
Ruff wa saying he is kicking better than last year, well 4.2 is not exactly great big Ruff...

To all those folks dishing it out to Xavier Ellis - where were you in 2008 when he was tearing it up in the midfield for weeks on end (long before the GF)?

Short memories round here. The composure, decision making and execution are all there.

Sure injury happens, and confidence can get lost. But that ability is still there if he's fit.

he was comfortably ahead of Thomas and probably Pendles at that time. Comfortably.

Pretty much as we all thought, just the one change. Pup must've missed out due to the positional change, if it was ladson suspended we may have seen him in rather than X. X must perform this week his career is at the crossroads.

I think Savage will be the sub if tactical due to his speed, and Ellis if injury forced as he can play more positions.

go hawks:thumbsu:

He's not showing the desired form I guess, Shepp.

Seems to be the case, early this year, that players are being rewarded for form, and selected accordingly.

A few of the older brigade need to constantly be on their A-game or they'll find themselves at Box Hill, and I don't mind that one bit.

I reckon you're right, Galon.

It also looks like being close with the leadership doesn't get you a spot in the side like it has recently.

Murphy and Guerra are close with our leaders and are having to earn their spot like everyone else.

I don't mind it one bit either.

I would really like to see our goal kicking improve by 100% this week, there is no point in having 75 inside 50s if the ball is just going to be going back into the Tigers players hands...
Ruff wa saying he is kicking better than last year, well 4.2 is not exactly great big Ruff...

We all want this:thumbsu:

It was a problem all of last year, and it looks like it's going to be the same in 2011.

I like Ellis but with such depth in the team I'm not sure he'll be able to push for a regular spot. May be one of the games he plays this year to help boost his trade value.

Channel 10 claims Buddy has rolled an ankle at training...

If this claim affects Buddy's accuracy, coupled with Rioli a no-show, I reckon the Tiges recent form and confidence along with Dimmas knowledge of the Hawks, well, this game is not yet decided!

I'm hoping for an exciting match! :thumbsu:

Ruff was on MMM this afternoon and confirmed that Buddy is ok and will play....:thumbsu:

Seems likely, you'd think if there was doubt about Buddy playing we'd have Lisle or another tall replacement listed as emergency

If this claim affects Buddy's accuracy, coupled with Rioli a no-show, I reckon the Tiges recent form and confidence along with Dimmas knowledge of the Hawks, well, this game is not yet decided!

I'm hoping for an exciting match! :thumbsu:

Sorry, but I'm hoping for a really boring, one sided slaughtering:p

To all those folks dishing it out to Xavier Ellis - where were you in 2008 when he was tearing it up in the midfield for weeks on end (long before the GF)?

Short memories round here. The composure, decision making and execution are all there.

Sure injury happens, and confidence can get lost. But that ability is still there if he's fit.

he was comfortably ahead of Thomas and probably Pendles at that time. Comfortably.
I'm not an Ellis basher by any stretch but 2008 was too long ago now. And he might've been level with Thomas at that time, but has been overtaken now and Pendles has almost always been the best of the draft.

What is it with all the posts criticising Ellis?

And the choice is obvious:

• Ellis: midfielder & small forward replaces Cyril, midfielder & small forward.
  • Puopolo: small defender ?

Puopolo can play as a small forward (did so quite sucessfully at Norwood before switching back) and has the pace which Ellis lacks. So it's not so obvious a choice as you make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back