Autopsy Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't mind Derm, I think he often has insightful stuff to say, though he does mix it with idiocy.

Completely agree though that 7 is miles behind Fox these days. They're just too matey.

Derm has an unhealthy obsession with "the size of the bloke". If you're over 6'4" in the old and 90+ kegs, we'll hear about it.

I thought crouch/Steele/Jones/Bytel were fantastic.

Coff has become a passenger and serious liability. Ineffective defensively and providing nothing offensively. I understand his role isn’t ideal but if he can’t play the role give highmore another crack. At least he will compete and crack in.

Coffield is out of confidence, and it is very obvious to see. I think he's struggled all year, but others have said that's too harsh.

The question is what to do about it. Do we back him in, in the hope that we get the good Coffield back, because he has a higher ceiling than anyone in reserve? Or do we give him a chance to find some confidence at Sandy, and reward someone else's good form?

I'll back Ratten in on such questions, but he absolutely needs to lift.

Coffield is out of confidence, and it is very obvious to see. I think he's struggled all year, but others have said that's too harsh.

The question is what to do about it. Do we back him in, in the hope that we get the good Coffield back, because he has a higher ceiling than anyone in reserve? Or do we give him a chance to find some confidence at Sandy, and reward someone else's good form?

Ratts will probably encourage our best player, dan mckenzie, to have a chat with the young fella and impart some pearls of wisdom

I reckon we weren't far off cracking it open all night, a number of nice plays bringing other guys into the game early on like King handing one off to Butler to bring him into 2021. Hill and Sinclair to King. Some great shephards from Steele. I think this little play is what kicked it to the next level for us, this kid Bytel having vibe to beat five Eagles midfielders, have a cheeky bounce then dish it off to the captain. All of a sudden he made some big name Eagles look really ordinary. Then a couple of huge plays from DMac for goals. It turned into a special night.

Sheed looks like a stuntman in an action film who fights the main character poorly in a brawl to make him look badass. Shocking defensive effort

Last edited:
So impressed with Dmac's game. The time in the last quarter when he got the ball in the center after the bounce , normally he would have just bombed away but at the last second saw Marshall and passed perfectly to him . i put my hand up and said at the start of the season he wouldnt play another game for us and im so glad he has proved me totally wrong . Good on him .

V
Thoughts:

- not sure it was the best game Carlisle has played for the club, but it was the smartest and probably the most unselfish. You could see he had put work into Naitanui.
- Love me some Jack Higgins. The two smothers early in the 4th were incredible.
- That sort of thing will happen again this year if Jones, Bytel, Crouch and Steele get into that sort of mood in close.
- If you want to go hard against blokes who miss a target by foot every now and then, then please yourself, but give me blokes who go in like Daniel McKenzie.
- Fair job old Jimmy Webster did on Flyin' Ryan.
- Having said that if we keep playing 2-3 midfielders as defenders (Ross, Sinclair and Clark all spent time there on Saturday) then we'll struggle to contain teams with two genuinely good small forwards. Ryan was well held, Petruccelle got off the leash well and good.
- That's why you can't ever really afford to drop Butler. Ten minutes was all it took.
- Is Max King the best 202cm small forward in AFL history? I love his unselfishness and when he is able to hunt the ball on the deck.
- Jack Billings may be the best footballer in the AFL no one ever really talks about. He got there, just in the absolute opposite way we thought he would. Six goals from four games this year, also averaging 24 disposals per game.
- LEAVE BATTLE IN THE BACKLINE
- Fair response from Bradley Hill.
Very good post. I think sinclair and clark in defence was a bit of an Achilles heel. They are both great going forward but dont play tight in defence, particularly at stoppages

Last edited:
Dwayne has an annoying voice and mannerisms and personality but Basil has no personality. He ruins the closing stages of the 2017 prelim too. Why oh why did they get him on the big games?He should only call the games in Perth.

How did he get such an attractive wife? Maybe she’s deaf?
According to my wife, his wife must be blind as well. 🙈

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very hard to be a defender the previous few weeks with lack of midfield pressure and the ball coming down with no pressure . I reckon it's a headspace thing with Coff. He hadnt all of a sudden lost ability. Just needs to clunk a few, have a few good moments and he'll be right.
Besides, I would like to see highmore earn a spot via sandy first.

Watching the replay for the 2nd time. First time watching the game sober.. felt that was necessary.
If you ever find yourself suggesting Billings should be traded like thousands do in here do us all a favour and hand your membership in and jog on.

I haven't been one of them, Billings has been amongst our best players in every game this year, probably our most consistent player along with Steele.

On top of that he is still only 25 and is entering the peak of his career where he's finally living up to his potential, would be madness to trade him.

The thing about Marshall is he changes the whole dynamic. Takes marks around the ground and looks so much more solid around the ruck. Jones seemed to get a lot of his possessions in space out the back, perhaps they rate contested ball much more.
Sure re Roma he makes a big difference to us, but I was still surprised to see him get votes. 13 disposals, 14 hitouts, 1 clearance. No scores. No tackles. Only 61% game time. Only Lonie and Coffield with less ranking points for us. Just a head-scratcher for me that’s all. Thought he definitely made us a better team than when we had McKernan or Hunter in, but wouldn’t have had him in the best handful on the ground personally.

Zac had 12 contested possessions (equal-3rd on the ground, behind just Steele and Crouch) to Roma’s 7, so if they rated CP’s much more, as you suggested, Zac trumps him by a big way there. Not to mention his game-high 10 clearances, to Roma’s 1. So it definitely wasn’t anything like that.

Anyway, whatever, just found it surprising.

After this win hopefully they have the ability to produce this pressure and effort every week - not a easy task - at least they know now what they can produce when needed.
Things that I got out of the game.
Crouch is going to be a very good player for us.
King developing nicely.
Marshall was sorely missed.
Carlisle if fit plays - backline our backup ruck.
McKenzie might be able to develop now after being given a role he can thrive in - god knows what the past Richardson game plan did to him.
What a difference a week makes - Jones , Butler , Hill
Howard is a unsung hero down back.
Steele is just a really good player.

Sure re Roma he makes a big difference to us, but I was still surprised to see him get votes. 13 disposals, 14 hitouts, 1 clearance. No scores. No tackles. Only 61% game time. Only Lonie and Coffield with less ranking points for us. Just a head-scratcher for me that’s all. Thought he definitely made us a better team than when we had McKernan or Hunter in, but wouldn’t have had him in the best handful on the ground personally.

Zac had 12 contested possessions (equal-3rd on the ground, behind just Steele and Crouch) to Roma’s 7, so if they rated CP’s much more, as you suggested, Zac trumps him by a big way there. Not to mention his game-high 10 clearances, to Roma’s 1. So it definitely wasn’t anything like that.

Anyway, whatever, just found it surprising.
Stats aren't everything. I'm a Jones basher but thought he responded very well on the weekend. But Roma is a better footballer and more important than Jones by the length of the Flemington straight. He may have not had the stats Saturday night but he had some big moments.

I feel like our defensive structure has gone backwards this year and Coffield has been a victim of that. Last year I think the back six grew together and all knew where they were on the oval and importantly where each of the others were. They played as a unit. I don't know whether it is the loss of Paton or the changes in the game but our defence has often looked disorganised and with lots of open spaces unguarded. Howard has been a rock and our best recruit from another club since I don't know when. But he is stretched as the only real tall down back and I think this has has a huge impact on Coffield being forced to run to places he probably shouldn't be running too. Combine this with Wilkie losing a bit of form and I think the confidence the back 6 had last year just isn't there any more.

Having said all of that, the changes to the game have been impactful, all teams leaking far more goals than in recent years and it would be interesting to see across the AFL how many Coffield type players are finding it more difficult this year.

I haven't been one of them, Billings has been amongst our best players in every game this year, probably our most consistent player along with Steele.

On top of that he is still only 25 and is entering the peak of his career where he's finally living up to his potential, would be madness to trade him.

I don't think many want to trade, just don't want to pay him superstar money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back