Preview Round 5, 2018: North Melbourne v Hawthorn, 22 April 2018, 3.20pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burton & Langford in if I was picking the side, looks like Cousins maybe in.
Ceglar not named for Box hill
CJ is named for Box hill hope someone can report how he goes

People have short memories. Last year when Langford was moved into the forward line he was just about our best player there.
The biggest problem he had was his set shot kicking for goal was so bad that it was easy to underestimate all of the hard work he have done.
I would be staggered if the club in Langford have not worked very hard on set shots over summer. And the club has had some success with this in the past. At one stage Roughy could not kick a goal until they completely rebuilt his goalkicking technique.
They must have really worked hard on his kicking, so much so that he had ONE the other week!! So handball the f****ng thing when you get it son. It's called FOOTball. You gotta kick well , sometimes.

Cousins isn't pushing Shiels, Howe or Tom out of the side, so unless Clarkson sees him as capable of playing a different role to the one he plays at Box Hill each week, he won't be sliding into the side without injuries to others.

I don’t know much about cousins but could he play impey’s role and impey play pop or cyril’s?

C'mon, SLF, Glenn Archer nor Jack Zieball are Hawthorn's coach.

And that's another thing, how does North manage to have so many truly unlikeable star players?
Archer's piggy face and agro act on the field.
Carey's sanctimonious attitude to anyone who wasn't in his inner circle, and then showing he didn't even have any respect for his closest friends....
The Krakouer bros.
Crackers Keenan
Even Phil Carman seems more North Melbourne than Collingwood...
Cousins isn't pushing Shiels, Howe or Tom out of the side, so unless Clarkson sees him as capable of playing a different role to the one he plays at Box Hill each week, he won't be sliding into the side without injuries to others.

Doesn't really need to. Just needs to be able to spell each of those fellas while they grab some wind on the bench or are circulating with forward/wings to let others get a breather.
Having another brute ball winner would be smart for mine, covering also for injury to any of our mids who have been working so hard the last few weeks.

Matters little if he’s been the best at Box Hill, it matters more as to what we need on Sunday. At the risk of sounding old, the kid has played 3 VFL game this year: he could do with many more at VFL level

You might have missed it, but he was bloody good last year.....so much so he got a run in the firsts and didn't look out of place.
I think it would be great to find out how he develops WHILE playing at the speed and requirements of senior football. No need to season him year after year with VFL stuff and turn him in to Mitch Hallahan.
Sam showed you don't need to be electric by foot if you can be electric by hand and foot, if you get my meaning.
Dying for this kid to get 5-6 games in a row and see if he's a gem that just needs a wash off to start glinting, as opposed to sustained polishing.

Cousins deserves his chance, has been Box Hills best player so far. Need to reward form

See I agree that he's been the best performed player at Box Hill, but I don't want Clarkson picking square pegs for round holes, so hopefully he selects who is best for team balance and if that's cousins great.

Hard to know which out of the players named on the bench will make the cut outside of Howe and Burton

Glass was solid without being a standout last week, Cousins has been very good at VFL level, Langford is a great tackler but skills are important important at Etihad, Brand has the height to combat Waite or Daw but he makes us very top heavy, Lewis has been excellent at BH but would again would make us top heavy and Worpel has been impressive in the AFLX and at BH and has played forward with stints in the middle.

I’d love to see Burton, Howe, Glass and Worpel.

Hardwick Frawley Mirra
Burton Stratton Sicily
Morrison Mitchell Smith
Bruest Timmy Gunston
Impey Roughie Doc
McEvoy Jaeger Shiels
Glass, Henderson, Howe, Worpel

Anyone remember who took Waite and brown when we played them last year?

Either brand has to come in or we pinch hit with Burton or mirra on Waite. Seems like a game where we need the extra tall esp given Daw is playing as a loose tall up back.

I don’t know much about cousins but could he play impey’s role and impey play pop or cyril’s?
Not really. He’s an inside mid, not blessed with pace.

Anyone remember who took Waite and brown when we played them last year?

Either brand has to come in or we pinch hit with Burton or mirra on Waite. Seems like a game where we need the extra tall esp given Daw is playing as a loose tall up back.

Brand took Brown in Tassie and he kicked 3 from memory.

Waite didn’t play.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta watch out for Waite.

He always plays like a superstar the first 5 games of the season, then he picks up his first niggle and fades into obscurity for the rest of the year.
I don’t recall Waite really hurting us in the past. Or perhaps hasn’t played much due to injury, suspension or form.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Brand was selected.
I’d be very surprised if he is selected.

He 100% should be, but he won’t & Brown will torch us as a result. Fortunately, I think it’ll mean we win by 3 goals instead of 8 goals...

The chosen one surely comes in, and as much as I want to see Cousins at AFL level, I'd like Worpel to get his shot. Mostly playing the defensive forward role, but every now and then slotting in next to Mitchell and O'Meara at the centre bounce to see what sort of chemistry can be orchestrated. The future is now.

I’d be very surprised if he is selected.

He 100% should be, but he won’t & Brown will torch us as a result. Fortunately, I think it’ll mean we win by 3 goals instead of 8 goals...
Lol mate I think its either Frawley or Brand and Frawley is the preferred option at this stage. He did kick 3 on brand last year so lets start with that as a base and see how we go

Lol mate I think its either Frawley or Brand and Frawley is the preferred option at this stage. He did kick 3 on brand last year so lets start with that as a base and see how we go
It’s not just what he kicks that is the problem, it’s what it does to our structure.

If Brown takes 2x big marks early then our defence will panic & we’ll start sending 3-4 defenders at every high ball - that brings their small forwards into the game. Also, it gives their kids some clarity of thought as they no longer get indecisive as to where to kick it - from Half Back they’ll be able to stream forward with purpose as everyone in their jumper will know where it’s going.

We need 1x player to take Brown & maybe +1 to help in the air or cut off his lead (the Gibbo role). Playing Chip (without shoulders) on him is going to burn us.

Moot theoretical discussion anyway as he’ll not be playing.

It’s not just what he kicks that is the problem, it’s what it does to our structure.

If Brown takes 2x big marks early then our defence will panic & we’ll start sending 3-4 defenders at every high ball - that brings their small forwards into the game. Also, it gives their kids some clarity of thought as they no longer get indecisive as to where to kick it - from Half Back they’ll be able to stream forward with purpose as everyone in their jumper will know where it’s going.

We need 1x player to take Brown & maybe +1 to help in the air or cut off his lead (the Gibbo role). Playing Chip (without shoulders) on him is going to burn us.

Moot theoretical discussion anyway as he’ll not be playing.
If they are always kicking it to Brown we are able to defend more easily. Its the Buddy scenario. We have brought in burton and we have Stratts, Sic and Dave Mirra

If they are always kicking it to Brown we are able to defend more easily. Its the Buddy scenario. We have brought in burton and we have Stratts, Sic and Dave Mirra

I like the way that Dave Mirra is now seen as a key component of our backline after one game.

Testament to his experience, hunger and body shape.

He won't be easy to push off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back