Round 5 The Sydney Swans vs. The West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire said Bolton's been troubled by an achilles for a few weeks now at the aftermatch. Many spotted he didn't seem 100%.
It didn't look good.

yada yada yada yada....

Ahhh, i'm exhausted after all that. Make of all that what you will.

Great review S120, thanks.

Re: Mattner. He does take risks. He does take the game on. It can cost us but often it inspires. His goal after running from HB last week set us on fire.

Great review S120, thanks.

Re: Mattner. He does take risks. He does take the game on. It can cost us but often it inspires. His goal after running from HB last week set us on fire.

Cheers.

Yeh i'm definitely for Mattner to be in the team, we have a great balance with a lot of versatility and he is in our best 22 as far as i am concerned. He is getting forward of centre and kicking goals now too which is really good.

It seems he has been given the license to float forward more as Tadhg, Rhyce and Mal are always gonna be cruising around HB, so Marty can go forward and use his big left foot from 50 to take pot hots at goal. He's already kicked 5 or 6 this year. This also alleviates one of ,what i think, his weaknesses in when he is one out in the back 50 with the ball coming in. He is now not isolated with his forward opponent as much which is good.

Though his hospital handball to the Hyphen on the wing during the Roos game last week almost seemed to conspire.:eek:

Though his hospital handball to the Hyphen on the wing during the Roos game last week almost seemed to conspire.:eek:

Didn't you already bring that one up ? One mistake in game in which he kicked two goals, including the one that fired us up. I love seeing backmen kick goals :thumbsu:

Watched the whole game again today. A couple of points 1. we are giving away too many frees in the ruck close to goal and 2. Goodes was held on to the whole 2nd quarter and got nothing, the look on his face after contests was like Halls used to.
Our opponents in the last 2 weeks have kicked 8 goals from frees out of 17 goals !

Watched the whole game again today. A couple of points 1. we are giving away too many frees in the ruck close to goal and 2. Goodes was held on to the whole 2nd quarter and got nothing, the look on his face after contests was like Halls used to.
Our opponents in the last 2 weeks have kicked 8 goals from frees out of 17 goals !

Don't be silly Bedders. Only West Coast had frees for them missed at the weekend. BF says so.

Kieran Jack is currently one of my favourite players.

He's such a massive justification for putting an AFL team in Sydney. I'm surprised Sydney residents are not more proud of this guy. He SHOULD be the face of AFL in NSW.

He will be the best talent Sydney has ever produced, mark my words. He's the future. He can only get better from here.

Sure, Sydney (The city) has produced players such as LRT, Lenny Hayes, Nick Davis and Paul Bevan but in my opinion, Kieran Jack is without doubt the most skillful at such a young age. He's a player that just seems to have the desire and the sureness.

It makes me confident about the future of Australian football in NSW when I look at Kieran Jack. :):thumbsu:

On that note, does it surprise anyone else that Ben McGlynn is originally from NSW? I just found out. :S

He's a ripper, the more I see him play the more I'm so proud that he's a Swan.

His bump on Spangher was inspiring and lifted the whole team, not to mention his 50 to 50 goal which was simply electrifying. I'm not sure how good he can be, but he's pretty damn good already.

I hope he captains the side one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will be the best talent Sydney has ever produced, mark my words. He's the future. He can only get better from here.

Sure, Sydney (The city) has produced players such as LRT, Lenny Hayes, Nick Davis and Paul Bevan but in my opinion, Kieran Jack is without doubt the most skillful at such a young age. He's a player that just seems to have the desire and the sureness.

NOBODY PUTS LENNY IN THE CORNER. :mad::p

But seriously, I love Jack but Lenny is the prime example of how talent can be unearthed in the suburbs of Sydney. Especially considering he was drafted in the late 90's as a first round draft pick when really AFL in Sydney was a lot further back in terms of standing. Call me bias because Lenny is one of my absolute favs :heart:, but he's a wonderful mid and an exceptional leader in the AFL. All-Australian selection, well placed in B&F awards, 3rd in the Brownlow ect.

Jack may surpass him, but right now Hayes must hold the title. If he was a swan, he would be lauded even more as Sydney's best talent.

NOBODY PUTS LENNY IN THE CORNER. :mad::p

But seriously, I love Jack but Lenny is the prime example of how talent can be unearthed in the suburbs of Sydney. Especially considering he was drafted in the late 90's as a first round draft pick when really AFL in Sydney was a lot further back in terms of standing. Call me bias because Lenny is one of my absolute favs :heart:, but he's a wonderful mid and an exceptional leader in the AFL. All-Australian selection, well placed in B&F awards, 3rd in the Brownlow ect.

Jack may surpass him, but right now Hayes must hold the title. If he was a swan, he would be lauded even more as Sydney's best talent.

Is he a relative of yours or something? :p

Needless to say, Hayes is a better player than Jack, but Hayes is 30 and Jack is 22.

Jack will be an elite player one day and I put my house on it that Jack will surpass him. Jack WANTS it. You can see he does. He has the confidence and the desire.

I hope he captains the side one day.

If he does, it would be beyond awesome. I just hope he has the leadership qualities to allow him to assume a natural leadership position.

-It's looking though. He has a younger brother who wants to play for the swans (Not GWS), and being an older brother gives you that natural leadership mentality. :thumbsu:

Is he a relative of yours or something? :p

Needless to say, Hayes is a better player than Jack, but Hayes is 30 and Jack is 22.

Jack will be an elite player one day and I put my house on it that Jack will surpass him. Jack WANTS it. You can see he does. He has the confidence and the desire.

I wish :D It's just that with Joel Selwood, and Brett Kirk, he's my favourite. I mean, I hate st scum and was willing the cats to win the grannie, but seeing lenny cry ad get so upset almost made me want scum to win. :eek: THAT'S HOW MUCH I love him as a player.

I actually hope Jack becomes better though. :thumbsu: I would love to have that much talent in our side. He's definitely a really well-rounded performer with lots of strengths in both attack and defense. Very consistent and does his job every week.

I don't think he's considered captaincy material though. Off initial impressions McVeigh seems to be in the wings and JBolts said Hanners was 'captaincy material' the other week.

I don't really have much of a strong opinion, but I would love to see hanners get it eventually. :)

I just watched the replay on fox, how good was Jacks side steps on the back flank in the last q then run and kick forward that resulted in a goal to White...:thumbsu:

On that note, does it surprise anyone else that Ben McGlynn is originally from NSW? I just found out. :S
Haha, you technically can claim Benny McGlynn as a NSWman I guess.... :p

But my hometown is Mildura (VIC) and he just lived over the bridge... I'd be hard pressed to say he's a full-on NSW product. The closest capital city is Adelaide & Mildura is the largest town/rural city anywhere close to where he grew up.. There isn't that much on the NSW side close to the Gol-gol/Dareton/Coomie/Wenty area really so (as a Victorian) I could almost claim him as one of my own... I mean, he did go to school with a heap of my mates so does that help my case?? hahaha

*** I know I know, I live in Adelaide now.... But I'm true Bushranger Blue Victorian at heart.

But my hometown is Mildura (VIC) and he just lived over the bridge... I'd be hard pressed to say he's a full-on NSW product. The closest capital city is Adelaide & Mildura is the largest town/rural city anywhere close to where he grew up.. There isn't that much on the NSW side close to the Gol-gol/Dareton/Coomie/Wenty area really so (as a Victorian) I could almost claim him as one of my own... I mean, he did go to school with a heap of my mates so does that help my case?? hahaha

*** I know I know, I live in Adelaide now.... But I'm true Bushranger Blue Victorian at heart.

Pah, if McGlynn is "technically" a NSWman, then why couldn't you say you and your other Milduralites are only "technically" Victorians?

If he's lived across the border then he's a NSWwelshman. ;)

As well as Kirky, Matthews, Schneider and Leo Barry. :D

Funny that, isn't it (Border disputes)? IF it was the other way around and league was claiming someone from Albury-Wodonga as 'Victorian' I suppose I would probably scoff at them.

That's why Jack is such a valuable asset for Sydney. He 'is' a Sydney guy.

If he's lived across the border then he's a NSWwelshman. ;)

As well as Kirky, Matthews, Schneider and Leo Barry. :D

Funny that, isn't it (Border disputes)? IF it was the other way around and league was claiming someone from Albury-Wodonga as 'Victorian' I suppose I would probably scoff at them.

That's why Jack is such a valuable asset for Sydney. He 'is' a Sydney guy.

Well, Bradshaw's from Wodonga, and Kirk's from Albury (his home ground/our high school is just up the road).

I have no hesitation in calling Bradshaw a Donger (although not since he came into the light a couple of months ago ;) )

37. Goodes: Was brilliant by most people's standards but by his it seemed like just another day at the office. May well get votes from it. So clean when tracking the ball and his marking is always good. So smart with body contact and body work. What a player. Love his work at CHF and pushing up into the midfield.

Probably open a can of worms - and given we got pantsed i don't really have a retort.

But i didn't really think Goodes was that special on the weekend. Got a couple of touches early - went missing for a while then went to half back and got a few touches. I thought in the one on ones Schofield did quite a good job on him and thought Goodes dropped a couple of marks he should have taken. (Esp considering Goodes mortgage on the 3 votes in games against us recently)

Was even more surprised when one of the papers gave him best on ground - which is why i was keen to see the coaches votes and felt a bit more vindicated when he didn't poll.

For me O'Keefe, Malceski and Jack were superb ( i could probably add a long list here)

Probably open a can of worms - and given we got pantsed i don't really have a retort.

But i didn't really think Goodes was that special on the weekend. Got a couple of touches early - went missing for a while then went to half back and got a few touches. I thought in the one on ones Schofield did quite a good job on him and thought Goodes dropped a couple of marks he should have taken. (Esp considering Goodes mortgage on the 3 votes in games against us recently)

Was even more surprised when one of the papers gave him best on ground - which is why i was keen to see the coaches votes and felt a bit more vindicated when he didn't poll.

For me O'Keefe, Malceski and Jack were superb ( i could probably add a long list here)

Schofield did a better job than most of his opponents this year but Goodes was still easily in our best 4-5 players. If a kid who'd played 10 games or an average player all of a sudden played the kind of game Goodes did they'd widely be recognised as best on ground. I think he's just a victim of his own standards sometimes.

Openening the can of worms, Goodes was brilliant as was most of the side as it was one of those games where it would be hard to award best players. His influence in the 2nd quarter was massive and would have been even greater if the Umps had seen the scragging by Schofield. O'Keefe and McVeigh were outstanding in the first half, but were not as influencial in the 2nd half but others like Grundy, Jack and Kennelly were great all day.
I really believed that the next tine we played in a GF it would be against the Eagles as i thought we were both going to peak again in about 2 to 3 years, but for one of us it might be earlier. Bad luck and all the best for the rest of the season.

I tend to agree with you, but Goodes is still learning a new role and CHF is one of the hardest positions you can play.

Plus, it's also a good sign, that we can win so well, without Goodesy starring. It's a good sign for me in particular.

For the record, I gave Nick Malceski 5 votes, he ball use was sublime on the weekend, has been all season to date. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 The Sydney Swans vs. The West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back