Round 5 The Sydney Swans vs. The West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree with you, but Goodes is still learning a new role and CHF is one of the hardest positions you can play.

Plus, it's also a good sign, that we can win so well, without Goodesy starring. It's a good sign for me in particular.

For the record, I gave Nick Malceski 5 votes, he ball use was sublime on the weekend, has been all season to date. :thumbsu:
Malceski's foot skills are as good as anyone in the AFL, but he can butcher a handball to the feet.

Schofield did a better job than most of his opponents this year but Goodes was still easily in our best 4-5 players. If a kid who'd played 10 games or an average player all of a sudden played the kind of game Goodes did they'd widely be recognised as best on ground. I think he's just a victim of his own standards sometimes.

I don't think he had a poor game - just that it wasn't special - thought a number of fellow swans had a better game than him. Not sure I could name too many eagles though - perhaps Waters and Cox perhaps on par.

Mentioned 3 already - thought Rok, Eski, Jack, LRT, Bradshaw, Grundy, McVeigh all were better - and i must admit - was super impressed with Mumford's contested work on the ground.

As i said in the part you quoted, i thought he was good but didnt think he was in our best 5. In the next group. Though his fair form is still good enough to be an easy BOG as a general rule.

Has been wonderful this year though and will get better and better.

That's exactly how I saw it. Goodes was our 8th best imo but he still had a very good game.

Goodes has been good this year though, he would be in our top 5 so far and is building up for a big year.

I think it's a credit to him that he can play in 3 very diverse roles and play well in all of them.

I couldn't comment on his performances all year as i haven't seen any swans games - so i'll defer to the swans board better judgement - my post was purely based on that game - and my surprise at the newspaper votes.

I must add to the bolded bit - and this may be a stretch - but i didn't pick Goodes in my DT because traditionally (in DT at least) he starts slowly and then picks up pace and comes home with a rush. So your comment about building for a big year is probably bang on the money.

TFS, so Mitch Clark to move to CHB to take Jesse perhaps? Or would you more likely have him in the forward line to cover for Browny?

What do you have in the 2's by the way of tall forwards and backs to cover Merrett and Browny? Matt Austin to move in possibly?

TFS, so Mitch Clark to move to CHB to take Jesse perhaps? Or would you more likely have him in the forward line to cover for Browny?

What do you have in the 2's by the way of tall forwards and backs to cover Merrett and Browny? Matt Austin to move in possibly?

eh? you've lost me

TFS is a WC fan, not a paddle pop Swans120:D

Your obs on Goodes were pretty accurate. He dropped a few leading marks, but was pretty good overall. My best 3 for the game: Jack, Moore and Bradshaw (closely followed by ROK)...

A lot of people on here don't rate Moore, but I think he's really starting to hit his straps. The turn and kick to Bradshaw was :thumbsu:, as was a couple of his run and tackles, and his slide and offload to Bradshaw in the 4th was great. His disposal so far this year, combined with his bullocking runs in and out of the rucks to me indicate he's pulled out all stops to prove his worth in the side.

TFS is a WC fan, not a paddle pop Swans120:D

Your obs on Goodes were pretty accurate. He dropped a few leading marks, but was pretty good overall. My best 3 for the game: Jack, Moore and Bradshaw (closely followed by ROK)...

A lot of people on here don't rate Moore, but I think he's really starting to hit his straps. The turn and kick to Bradshaw was :thumbsu:, as was a couple of his run and tackles, and his slide and offload to Bradshaw in the 4th was great. His disposal so far this year, combined with his bullocking runs in and out of the rucks to me indicate he's pulled out all stops to prove his worth in the side.
Who doesn't drop marks when the defender chops your arms and i would like to see Moore score some goals now and then.
db are you on brad the rat roo's friends list yet?

So I just realised I didn't include Goodes in my POTY votes for the best 5 players on the ground. Self-pwned! :eek:

I did notice that - but given it's a Swans board - i thought discretion was the better part of valour, considering I didn't want my post taken as a troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did notice that - but given it's a Swans board - i thought discretion was the better part of valour, considering I didn't want my post taken as a troll.

I still think he was amongst our best in a game where it was very hard to pick a top 5.

Either way... I was kind of agreeing with your point in a way... Schofield did a better job on Goodes than most opponents have done this year and reduced his influence. Goodes probably had an average game by his own standards but was still one of the best on the ground IMO.

I still think he was amongst our best in a game where it was very hard to pick a top 5.

Either way... I was kind of agreeing with your point in a way... Schofield did a better job on Goodes than most opponents have done this year and reduced his influence. Goodes probably had an average game by his own standards but was still one of the best on the ground IMO.

This.

Didn't you already bring that one up ? One mistake in game in which he kicked two goals, including the one that fired us up. I love seeing backmen kick goals :thumbsu:

No. Until this post I had only mentioned camp Mattners part in the attempted hospitalisation of our Two Dads the once.
You, decided to bring that one up - again. :eek:
Camp Mattner had a solid game on Wells, and followed him about like one of those foreign wife types do with their respective partners. At a loving, lumbering distance of roughly 5 - 10 mtrs for most of their paired matching.
Yes he did fire a goal, though it was Goodes who fired us up after HT and set the tone.:thumbsu:
Goodes straight after HT, hit the ball at pace on the HFF and while he only finnished off with a point, Goodes was the source of the impetus to come.
A few minutes later down in the BP, The Goodes train burst through a mob of roadkill roos and fired out a handball to the Eski. Who then found Mattner wandering about the middle.
Mattner, whilst having Tiger and ROK as a wonderfull set of trainning wheels to either side. Managed to get on his bike, and wobble one through to cap Goodes brilliant pack plundering down back.:thumbsu:
Camp Mattner is not without his qualities, such as his tackling. Which would surely have him rank in the top 300 players in the league for technique and application. Overall a solid outing from a solid citizen, added by the generosity of his teammates which in due course. Causes some to over excite and hyperventilate.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 The Sydney Swans vs. The West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back