Game Day Round 5 vs. BRIS. Thurs 14/04, 7:35pm Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can’t understand the point of naming one of our first or second year players as the medical sub - how does this help their development in any way?

I’d have one of the Browns as sub
Agree with the first and second years but

I'd go a bit further make Sidebottom permanent sub so he doesn't get to play a full game

and if he's not needed that's even better because he doesn't play at all

I am one that is calling Wilson to be dropped

He was loose, lost touch with his opponent, dragged too far up the ground and made a couple of poor decisions bombing it forward.

What instances impressed you?

I was impressed that Wilson got into goal scoring positions. He didn't have the composure to finish but I saw that as a rush of blood in the excitement of kicking goals and holding his position in the team. That was the body language. He was certainly composed in the twos with his finishing so it was uncharacteristic. I'd like to see him given another week especially with Mihocek out.

I think WHE will be announcing his retirement or departure at the end of the year. Poulter will be our starting winger next year.

Forward line woes? We looked alright in rounds 1 and 2.
Correct. And we had a good spread of scorers too, so it’s not like we were heavily reliant on our outs for scoring power, although it still hurts to have them out from an offensive and defensive pressure perspective.

What happens to our 2 existing wingers in Sidey and Josh D?
Well Josh D can play more mid. Sidey is getting elderly. You, at a stretch can play 3 wingers with on eon the bench and rotating. Can't have 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Roughead returns is there really any defensive need to retain Madgen alongside Moore, Howe and Maynard?

I guess if we wanted to shift Howe forward for 1 week to help cover for the loss of Mihocek and Elliott it might be warranted or how about giving Maynard a run with role on Neale?

Feel like we need to mix it up this week given the outs and probably have little to lose in the process.
I think either Pendles or Maynard need to play mid to release JDG and Adams to play a decent amount of forward time, otherwise our forward line won't be contested enough.

What about rounds 3&4? And the past two seasons?

The forward line is a work in progress but early signs under McRae are good. The change in game plan is a step in the right direction and gives the forwards and mids a chance.

I usually go by the argument that senior players should play while they are consistently playing well and playing to assist the youngsters. I'm not sure that WHE is doing that. I'm not sure Mason Cox is doing that. We do need to clear the deck of some of the players who have been there a couple of years as well such as the Browns and Nathan Murphy. I think all three should by bypassed for games. It would be nice to be competitive for the rest of the season to assist the youngsters development, but we need to play players like Poulter. We need to find out about Kelly at senior level, although I'd be happy to delist him now, but all means investigate him now, dont keep him for another year waiting for improvement. The two losses have burst the bubble that david king and his mates were trying to pump up - thank god. Now stick to thinking about 2023 and more likely 2024. All the fans were primed for a terrible year where development was the focus..... the club needs to use that time.

With Roughead back and checkers out does that mean Madge goes forward as a gun goal kicking forward À la buddy. 😂🤣😂🤣

The forward line is a work in progress but early signs under McRae are good. The change in game plan is a step in the right direction and gives the forwards and mids a chance.
So you reckon we have the cattle? A lot of Collingwood supporters seem to think we need to recruit a couple of KPFs. thus implying we don't have the cattle.

I usually go by the argument that senior players should play while they are consistently playing well and playing to assist the youngsters. I'm not sure that WHE is doing that. I'm not sure Mason Cox is doing that. We do need to clear the deck of some of the players who have been there a couple of years as well such as the Browns and Nathan Murphy. I think all three should by bypassed for games. It would be nice to be competitive for the rest of the season to assist the youngsters development, but we need to play players like Poulter. We need to find out about Kelly at senior level, although I'd be happy to delist him now, but all means investigate him now, dont keep him for another year waiting for improvement. The two losses have burst the bubble that david king and his mates were trying to pump up - thank god. Now stick to thinking about 2023 and more likely 2024. All the fans were primed for a terrible year where development was the focus..... the club needs to use that time.
The see what he's got argument might be applicable for us supporters, but the club sees every training session and vfl game, where blokes show what they've got and how much they're progressing. No idea about training, but Kelly is currently a shambles at vfl level and Poulter is improving but is an outsider who looks rushed and shanky at VFL level - let them improve in the vfl.

So you reckon we have the cattle? A lot of Collingwood supporters seem to think we need to recruit a couple of KPFs. thus implying we don't have the cattle.

Back to the original comment I wouldn't describe it as 'forward line woes'. I think the game plan change has helped a lot and we're heading in the right direction. That's not to say there aren't areas that we can improve.

Last edited:
I'd go with

OUT: Elliot (inj), Ginnivan (sore), Mihocek (hs protocols) Madgen
IN: Adams, De Goey, Roughead, Krueger

Roughead for Madge will strengthen our defence a lot. Krueger for Mihocek. Adams and De Goey auto-inclusions.

Brown is a lucky bastard.

I think there's an argument to bring in Cox over Cameron however i'm happy to give Cameron a small block of games. It's much of a muchness between them who plays and 5 changes is a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back