Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think it would be JB for Windy as sub. I reckon Windy needs to go fill his boots at Sandy.
A few weeks ago we were worried about Hunter Clark. No such worries now. JB will be the same. It won't hurt the draft class of 21/22 to realise that games aren't a given. Aussie and Dal both became better players after they saw the 2nds change rooms as developing young players after a taste of the firsts.

Billings for Windhager makes sense...

On the umpire/rule craziness bargain bin free kick sale whatever, Give each captain one challenge or 'check' (idea being if something is missed then the play can be asked to be reviewed...), and perhaps each coach one as well... Of course this could be time consuming as all &^$% as it can be in League and Union. 1 challenge/check, and if successful ya get one more. So total 2 per captain, and maybe one coach one.

Probably trial it in the VFL or something first.

Or don't do that. Ha.

Max King must be absolutely chomping at the bit to get amongst it.

Good to see Steele and Membrey get game time - they'll be better for it.

Also a classic Ross Lyon fourth quarter sleeper hold. Just killed the game in that last quarter.

I thought Membrey was fantastic early. Got a mark taken off him that was absolutely ridiculous umpiring. He looked like he was going to break the game open so got their defence reactive. Steele was the opposite, early on he couldn’t get anything right.

Billings for Windhager makes sense...

On the umpire/rule craziness bargain bin free kick sale whatever, Give each captain one challenge or 'check' (idea being if something is missed then the play can be asked to be reviewed...), and perhaps each coach one as well... Of course this could be time consuming as all &^$% as it can be in League and Union. 1 challenge/check, and if successful ya get one more. So total 2 per captain, and maybe one coach one.

Probably trial it in the VFL or something first.

Or don't do that. Ha.

As frustrating as the umps are, please don't do this.

What they really need is a TV umpire.

Someone watching the broadcasters cameras, looking for the behind the play stuff.

That person then relays the message to the team on the field who pay a free kick.

Was a tough match up but geez, even the Blues fans rekon Charlie got a ride yesterday.

Umps have been very good this year (at least in our games) so that one was really an outlier. So many little touchy free kicks there way in the first half, meanwhile Higgins gets dropped behind the play (twice!) for nothing.

I will say this though: The 4th umpire in alot of games has been caught ball watching rather than keeping an eye on the behind the play stuff. Has been ALOT of scragging and niggling off the ball that the AFL said they wanted to stamp out.
Excellent point if the 4th umpire looks after the behind play stuff then Caminti/Murphy incident doesn't happen because Murphy should of been cited and penalised for his hit.

I can’t believe Owens fell outside the top twenty of his draft year. We leaked out some high level saints propaganda to orchestrate that colossal miss by 17 other teams.

All year we heard "Windhager is the better player but his back might be cooked"

Worked a treat!

Whatever lid that was on is getting looser by the week, pretty confident we are a bloody good side.

Also bloody confident we could have the best coaching group in the AFL, the adjustments we made in the 2nd half were elite.

Everyone loved Ratts, fantastic bloke but if you can’t admit he was just a solid coach and Ross is clearly an elite coach you’re lying to yourself.

What a year we are in for!

Watching the presser and Ross saying we put the muzzle on in the last quarter. "We could have let them (us that is...meaning our players) go but we pulled in the reins" or words to that effect.

16:53 left in the last quarter and both teams score 2 more points each. A coaching group in total control. That's the bit I'm loving.

Oh and his answer for the last, last question about Brad Hill was total class too.

We’ve got a 5 day break so I think that’s why we took it easy. No point busting a gut when we’ve got the game on ice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was a tough match up but geez, even the Blues fans rekon Charlie got a ride yesterday.

Umps have been very good this year (at least in our games) so that one was really an outlier. So many little touchy free kicks there way in the first half, meanwhile Higgins gets dropped behind the play (twice!) for nothing.

I will say this though: The 4th umpire in alot of games has been caught ball watching rather than keeping an eye on the behind the play stuff. Has been ALOT of scragging and niggling off the ball that the AFL said they wanted to stamp out.
There was a one on one in our forward pocket at the northern end and the umpire was two meters away. Clear free kick to us and the umpire was looking in the other forward pocket where nobody was. Was staggering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank God I booked in annual leave, feel ****ing atrocious but nothing a good replay can't fix

I think we're on this year. Time to snatch a flag

Clint Jones was a bad kick but under Ross he improved to be a decent kick, he was never a great kick but he improved to hit a target most of the time.

Ross backing him in was a big part of that.
Jayson Daniels told us that coaches fixating on his kicking actually made him worse. Said they should have focused on his positives and taken the pressure off his main weakness.

Generally I think skills are improved by players have an understanding of each other. The Connection Piece as the coaches can it now. I don't reckon Geelong players are better kicks than players at other clubs but having a reliable game system and playing 200 games together makes it seem that way.

Probably taking into account a 5 day break coming up. Just like he subbed Marshall for the 4th the game before Collingwood.
We have a smart, savvy coach.

Exactly this Diehard Saint. Ross likes to act open, cuddily Ross, don't fall for it, football mind like a steel trap. He talks about one week at a time, he was planning against Port from 3/4 time onwards, leaving the 'coaching' to his three generals in the box.

He knows we can ice a game. He could see Carlton were gassed, look at them how listless they were in the 4th when they were completely cracked psychologically.
Saints played three qrts and a quarter of defensive drills, basically started their training yesterday afternoon, while saving energy.

Whatever lid that was on is getting looser by the week, pretty confident we are a bloody good side.

Also bloody confident we could have the best coaching group in the AFL, the adjustments we made in the 2nd half were elite.

Everyone loved Ratts, fantastic bloke but if you can’t admit he was just a solid coach and Ross is clearly an elite coach you’re lying to yourself.

What a few years we are in for!
Fixed it for you :)

Exactly this Diehard Saint. Ross likes to act open, cuddily Ross, don't fall for it, football mind like a steel trap. He talks about one week at a time, he was planning against Port from 3/4 time onwards, leaving the 'coaching' to his three generals in the box.

He knows we can ice a game. He could see Carlton were gassed, look at them how listless they were in the 4th when they were completely cracked psychologically.
Saints played three qrts and a quarter of defensive drills, basically started their training yesterday afternoon, while saving energy.
Agree. Someone here described him as a football savant. Mind on a different level when it comes to seeing the game and strategizing. I reckon it's gone to another level this time around as he's clearly delegated more to his assistants and so he can focus a bit more on the big picture.

Reckon Ross would have derived significant personal satisfaction from beating the Blues. Made a huge deal in the media about their star talent. The subliminal message was to the Blues Board that they should have honoured the handshake deal he struck with their President to coach Carlton. I reckon if he'd got the Blues gig, yesterday's game would have been St Kilda vs. last year's Grand Finalist.

Incredible progress in 6 weeks considering our injury list and the late start that Ross had. Very early stages of the season - we've been 5-1 before and fallen in a heap. Don't expect that to happen this time around but injuries, form, cold winter and fatigue can all factor in. Couldn't be a better start though. Especially beating the Blues.

We can win a flag this year.

Our defence is the best going around.

Our midfield can match it with anyone.

Our forward line is dangerous even without King.

No other teams are going that great, they all have weaknesses.

Why not us?
Course we can.

I am waiting to see how we fare against Brisbane, Melbourne, Geelong & Sydney.
That’ll paint the picture a little more.

If we’re as competitive against them (win or loss) as we have been against Collingwood/Carlton then that solidifies the reality of us being a true premiership contender IMO.

Can’t wait til we get another audit from Melbourne TBH. They had our number in the preseason game, and have been the only side to dominate us this year - they are probably the best measuring stick of our progress thus far. July 6th.

Mason Wood needs more love. Another crucial snap goal. Lots of key moments.
just needs to do what he did last night every week and the AA spot is his. Can't believe I'm saying that about the guy who had 7 turnovers with his first 7 possessions against the lions last year

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Max King must be absolutely chomping at the bit to get amongst it.
He's ready to go, and honestly from being told some whispers from someone within the club, has been for about two weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if he is named this week. Perfect time against a slightly depleted port

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wanna talk about Pou. The kid turned 18 just a few months ago. To see him crashing packs the way he is in the forward line I think is pretty mindblowing. With big key defenders and forwards around and who knows who coming in from the side, it's a lot harder to get near some of those balls than it looks. Didn't know he had the big fly as part of his game. He'll take multiple moty contenders this year, it's just a matter of time.

And if it isn't a high ball coming in, the way he is able to trap, possess and offload some of those chaos balls bouncing in, in the blink of an eye, shows a natural game sense and spatial awareness of his pressured surroundings that is way beyond his years and level of experience. Such great hands and decision making in tight. Always hits those targets after making the right split second decision. Doesn't try to do too much which one might expect from a first year player not getting as much ball as he would like. Very composed.

With the new regime and the team doing well, let's hope players wanting to return home is a thing of the past and Pou will be a one club player. A multiple premiership one club player. Love ya Pou 💩

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back