Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well…

That happened.

Genuinely thought we were a chance before the start of the game, really, genuinely did. After the effort against Sydney last week, to follow it up with this is extremely disappointing. It’s a serious issue at the moment, the Bulldogs and Geelong games were almost exactly the same as this.

Our midfield is the issue, when they’re on, we can beat anyone, when they’re not, we’ve got no chance. These players are entering their prime and to see them fail to step up when it counts again and again is really frustrating. I’m not sure what it is and that’s terrifying, are they just not good enough? Inconsistent? I honestly hope not because we’ve all seen their best.

I said it in the main match thread but Bewick was really good for us yet again. Really impressed with how he’s gone, I was even happy with Lester’s game. Really concerned about Walker, he’s been invisible the past few games. Andrews and Schache good as usual, Beams and Zorko still had solid games.

The issue with today is our run and gun just completely disappeared and the scoreboard showed it. Bombing it into the forward line will just never work even if you have Buddy and Lynch in your forward line. We need to keep our heads down more often. Too often we stop, let them set up their zone and then bomb in hope. It’s so frustrating to watch.

Still, we’re the same team that almost beat Sydney last week, sans Rocky for the next month-ish. We can and will fight back from this, it’s just disappointing to be shown how good we can be and then get a cruel reminder of where we actually are the following week.

Things WILL turn for this club, we’ve got the young talent and our midfield will click eventually. Last week I thought that maybe something had switched on, but it’s clear we’ll be inconsistent for another year. We’re still going in the right direction though. Just have to keep the faith I guess.

It starts next week against Collingwood. At home, we’ve got to try to put in a good performance. I’m really really nervous about that game now, especially without Rockliff, we just must put in a good performance.

We’ll come good eventually, nights like these are just a rude awakening as to the state of the team.

Still think Port are a crappy side, crappy fans as well.

Well…

That happened.

Genuinely thought we were a chance before the start of the game, really, genuinely did. After the effort against Sydney last week, to follow it up with this is extremely disappointing. It’s a serious issue at the moment, the Bulldogs and Geelong games were almost exactly the same as this.

Our midfield is the issue, when they’re on, we can beat anyone, when they’re not, we’ve got no chance. These players are entering their prime and to see them fail to step up when it counts again and again is really frustrating. I’m not sure what it is and that’s terrifying, are they just not good enough? Inconsistent? I honestly hope not because we’ve all seen their best.

I said it in the main match thread but Bewick was really good for us yet again. Really impressed with how he’s gone, I was even happy with Lester’s game. Really concerned about Walker, he’s been invisible the past few games. Andrews and Schache good as usual, Beams and Zorko still had solid games.

The issue with today is our run and gun just completely disappeared and the scoreboard showed it. Bombing it into the forward line will just never work even if you have Buddy and Lynch in your forward line. We need to keep our heads down more often. Too often we stop, let them set up their zone and then bomb in hope. It’s so frustrating to watch.

Still, we’re the same team that almost beat Sydney last week, sans Rocky for the next month-ish. We can and will fight back from this, it’s just disappointing to be shown how good we can be and then get a cruel reminder of where we actually are the following week.

Things WILL turn for this club, we’ve got the young talent and our midfield will click eventually. Last week I thought that maybe something had switched on, but it’s clear we’ll be inconsistent for another year. We’re still going in the right direction though. Just have to keep the faith I guess.

It starts next week against Collingwood. At home, we’ve got to try to put in a good performance. I’m really really nervous about that game now, especially without Rockliff, we just must put in a good performance.

We’ll come good eventually, nights like these are just a rude awakening as to the state of the team.

Still think Port are a crappy side, crappy fans as well.
Thats was some quick typing

We are a decent chance for the spoon this year.......

Legit

Nah. We're young and shit on the road. There will probably be a few more of those games unfortunately but our fixture is about to ease up and we're always a chance at home.

Seriously need to arrest the away surrenders though. We were much better against Cats and Eagles though, this was a really disappointing performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually more irate at the commentary today than the game's outcome.

I expected more of the commentators and I was let down hard.

Ricciuto is a mind-numbingly dumb guy ... interjected to explain a few of Derrwayne's puns to all of us, called our players' names incorrectly countless times during the game and wondered how many NEAFL games Beams played before coming in.

You can't just turn up to work cramming the night before.

I think our stoppage structures could use some serious work. Stef was knocking them out really well but our setup meant that Port could just close them up again and again.

Obviously the psychology issue where our midfield turns off and our goalkickers develop yips whenever there's pressure on is just painful.

Out of my 5 votes really only thought Beams and Bewick deserved them. Then thought to myself that Keays, Andrews, and Gardiner all busted their guts enough to warrant a vote. (Sigh) To go from one week where it is hard to "just" choose 5 to a week where it is hard to pick 5 is just deflating. Know we are a young side and inconsistencies will come but to have such a positive view last week is just hard to take.

Keays good for a kid
Harwood needs to be dropped
Bundy needs to do more
Basti see Byndy
Mitch pathetic
Bell lacjs awareness
Bewick improving
D Beams good first game back
Rich pathetic
Hanley pathetic
Martin out of form
Walker pathetic
Zorko great first quarter then did nothing
C beams not goid enough
Pappa ok
Schache competes
McStay dud
Gardiner needs to put some weight on
Harris good
Mayes can go back to SA
Lester tries
Rocky unlucky

What an awful mother's day gift for all our Lions mums.

Really good first quarter, the rest was just holding the dam wall as much as possible.

We looked exhausted with 10 minutes to go in the second quarter, I really hope it was the gastro that got around otherwise that's just poor.

Dayne Beams is a phenomenal player and Zorko busted his gut, the rest just not good enough.

run and gun gone missing along with a large portion of our midfield again. centre clearances 21-9 OMG. i think leppa needs to make a statement and drop and experienced mid or two, bell is one IMO too inconsistent, bring in robertson for him, the knock on him is ball use but is just as good as toms.

felt sorry for the backline again. the games we have been smashed in it is the mids who have been horrid, THEY ARE NOT INEXPERIENCED.

Players kept bombing it from a lack of run in all facets of the game. Leppitsch needs to swing the axe; less passengers, more fresh legs.

Not sure which is worse, Leppa as a coach or fevola as a drunk.

Also, Claye beams and Walker have the football ability's of an auskik drop out.

Fev was at least entertaining, drunk or not.

Claye is one of the few that can actually kick straight, maybe they need to get him closer to goal, I only got to watch the second half, so at least I only had to put up with that pathetic effort for just over an hour.

We really don't have any depth, so not really a lot of pressure from the twos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Back