Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We are bracing ourselves for TheBrownDog to be a late out this Saturday night.
Just please don't do it half an hour before the game.
Letting the team down... not good enough.

All I can say about this game is that win or lose I usually really enjoy watching the team play live at the Gabba. The booze helps. However, watching them get flogged on t.v at an away venue while listening to stupid commentary really sucks. The booze makes it worse. I don't think I'll be watching too many away games until that day in the distant future sometime when the team is a hell of a lot more competitive away from home.

Not getting the Merrett jokes than are running through this thread, I must have missed something.

Anyone bagging him or question his output is way out of touch though.

He is.. for mine, our most important player, some might argue steph but I still think he is more easily covered than Sauce.

Anyone else notice how obsessed port adelaide supporters are about the crowd numbers at adelaide oval.. o_O

5125979521_2018cf0cfa.jpg

Fortunately I couldn't watch the game and won't be. Followed the scores on an app. Seems like after the first quarter every refresh brought a Port goal and a Lions behind. I kept telling myself it would turn around. Oh well, Sundays suck anyway.

Dayne Beams is a star, other than that, pathetic effort.
Another despicable effort and we got the treatment we deserved. We were horrid.

A special shoutout to 'Sauce' Merret, biggest spud of the game, whats this now, twice in 7 games you go down with gastro 30 mins before the game? Merret really needs to get his personal hygiene sorted out sooner rather than later, better still pack your bags and call it a day would do us all a favour, yesterdays hero.
This is a cracking post. Need to read these review threads more often.:tearsofjoy:

That photo of Rocky brings tears to my eyes.
Just heartbreaking to have a another year destroyed by injury.
If he needs surgery,get it done, our season is pretty much gone anyway:'(

I can't see that photo if it's the one on previous pages..then again perhaps I don't want too.

Rocky sure isn't having much luck, and I'm with you, get it fixed regardless of how long he is out.

Bloody injuries, am so over them!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flew home on same plane as the team today.

I haven't seen a more disconsolate group for some considerable time.

Not a word was spoken the whole 3 hours other the Rocky walking up and down the aisle talking to a few of the boys.

Very sad to see really - it was a game that realistically they were on a hiding to nothing - they really are rather one-eyed at Port - never give a sucker an even break.

Hopefully they will have learned something from that little outing and respond accordingly against the ENEMY next week.

Flew home on same plane as the team today.

I haven't seen a more disconsolate group for some considerable time.

Not a word was spoken the whole 3 hours other the Rocky walking up and down the aisle talking to a few of the boys.

Very sad to see really - it was a game that realistically they were on a hiding to nothing - they really are rather one-eyed at Port - never give a sucker an even break.

Hopefully they will have learned something from that little outing and respond accordingly against the ENEMY next week.
i think it's a good sign that the boys were obviously upset with their performances, it matters to them. although as leppa said in the presser, not verbatim - you can talk we need more than that.

he was not happy with the mids.

JL didn't speak to any players just the other coaches & assorted staff - some of the players even hid in their hoods for the whole trip.

They need to get to know each other better from this episode.

Keays was smiling - only no-one returned it to him.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice how obsessed port adelaide supporters are about the crowd numbers at adelaide oval.. o_O
It goes back a long way, driven by 'our neighbours' and seriously its pathetic.
Anyway at 1/4 time I was worried and didn't expect the final result. Jonathan Brown is on the record as
saying Brisbane should get a salary boost (1/2m pre yr?). You have some younger players you can ill afford to lose.
Whatever it takes there is zero point in not having consistently competitive team/s in Qld. Not only does it need looking at
it needs doing. I feel your disappointment we (Port) have been there.
All the best guys.

I've taken a lot of time to process Sunday before making any comments on this thread. I was very angry but upon reflection, I am beginning to understand why we continue to lose games in this fashion.

There is one glaring issue we struggle with on the road and the good news is, it's all between the ears.

We struggle to stop the oppositions momentum.

Port Adelaide would've received a rocket from Ken at quarter time and they responded accordingly in the 2nd quarter but for the first 10 minutes, it didn't feel like the game was out of our control. They scored 4 goals in a row, but it wasn't because we switched off or started shirking the contest, it was because they were having a purple patch and playing great football in response to the quarter time spray they would have copped.

The question is, why weren't we able to stop this momentum?

Generally when teams get a roll on us, similar to the bulldogs game, we are smashed out of centre bounce.

This isn't because our set up or structure is poor, it's because our midfielders are now heading to the middle thinking "we cannot let them get another clearance" rather than "I need to attack the ball as hard as I can and forget about my opponent."

When there is a huge emphasis on not letting our young defence get exposed to quick entries, the players become reactive, not proactive.

When players worry about where their opponent will be at a stoppage, from that moment onwards, Leppitsch's system breaks down.

We don't tag, we don't drop numbers behind the ball, we don't do anything to provide a quick fix to a momentum shift.

Why?

Because if we do, we will not win the game. Sure, we might stop the bleeding and only lose by 6 goals, but we are no chance of winning it. When our #1 priority becomes "how can we stop the opposition?" you may as well not even turn up to training leading into that game.

Stopping the opposition from scoring is far far easier than trying to score yourself. Look at how Fremantle did it, they took a pretty terrible list with hardly any forward line to a minor premiership last year. The one stat they could hang their hat on was they were the best at not conceding more than 3 goals from the opposition during a match. They were the masters of stopping momentum.

Will this plan make you competitive? Yes. Is this plan sustainable? No. Will this plan win you a flag? Hell no.

Look at Fremantle now. In a game where attacking rather than defending is the focal point of being competitive, they are hopeless.

I remember in 2011, we finished 4-18 but we had so many games that were decided by low margins and hardly any blowouts. We were ultra competitive given the nature of our list at the time (more mature, but scarce of natural talent). Every week however, you just knew that regardless of our effort and intent, we were going to walk away with a low margin loss. This is also the result of playing man on man football, which was prevalent under Vossy but cannot be used anymore for the majority of game time in 2016.

This all comes back to that centre bounce mentality when the opposition kick a few goals. When one midfielder decides, I need to stop my opponent before I win the ball myself, the game plan is obsolete.

It is all between the ears and given the win-loss history the majority of our best 22 have, you can understand this mentality.

Right now, they all want to stop losing.

"Stop losing" is completely different to "start winning." The sooner they switch to that mentality, the sooner we climb the ladder.

This review is all over the place but I hope it makes sense.

Fin.

I don't want to just pin point the blame on a few playes but I think Rocky and Robbo need to have a look at themselves as leaders. When the game starts to turn those two are always whinging, yelling or swearing at our younger players. I know they are emotional people but I think they need to settle down and recollect themselves a bit. Imagine your boss doing to that to you every time things don't go their way... It's pathetic leadership IMO when you act like a toddler who has had your toys taken away from you and rubs off on the playing group badly. Remember most of our team are still kids learning the game.

INB4 Bosses do that yadida...

maybe thats right. But its not what you say its how you say it that counts the most. Just the whole body language has negative energy all over it.

They should obviously just whisper sweet nothings into their team mates ears.

Caught up with my Port friend today....had a stupid big grin on his face, asked me how my team went on the weekend.....my response was not very ladylike.

....said he had some photos to show me....showed me Port going through their banner etc. Again I wasn't impressed. Then showed me the crowd, and pointed out ONE maroon hat in the whole section!!

It wasn't a particularly jovial reunion.

:mad::mad::mad::'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2016 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Back