Preview Round 7, 2019: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 4th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From looking at Bruce against the Crows, he clearly didn't have enough power in his legs to contest strongly, or move freely enough for whatever injury reason. I don't think he will be playing against GWS. If Marsh can give us either mobility or marking, or both deep in the forward line, then he should be in. No good recruiting ready-made players and not playing them.

Re maintaining the structure - Lonie plays up a lot higher than our other smalls and plays a big role in actually getting the ball inside 50. Also averages 16 possessions, which is on the higher end for a small forward.

By bringing in Young for him, we are adding in another low possession forward who can really only tackle. Completely different from the role Lonie does and overloads us with Kent, Parker and Long also in the team. Gresh and Stuv could rotate between that higher small forward role with midfield time, providing that link between midfield and fwd while also having the ability to score.
Hes a bit better than that from what ive seen. The bigger grounds should suit young.

I’m hoping for a return to our more defensive style of game. Keep the back 50 clogged up and only move forward with numbers once we have a stoppage on a deep entry. Let them have the inside 50 count, but keep them to 70 points. They are too classy through the middle and they will hit genuine targets inside 50 if given any space.

I don’t even want to see much slingshot footy, get the ball forward and create a stoppage or turnover forward of center, but always maintain numbers behind the ball.

If Bruce is out I think we need another tall, but don’t think we have a suitable one with the tank and ability to bring the ball to ground in a 3 vs 1. Marshal will be very important creating contests between the arcs to create stoppages or opportunities to go fast with out smalls.

Out: Longer, Lonie, Bruce (if injured)
In: Marshal, Young, Clarke or White (play Patton forward, not ideal but looked good there last year)
Yes I’m quoting my own post....

If Marsh doesn’t have the match fitness and Bruce doesn’t come up I would mind moving Newnes forward as I thought he looked good there (even while injured) last year. Play the structure quoted above and bring Hind in on a wing.

DMac Brown Webster
Savage Battle Wilkie
Hind Steele Billings
Newnes Membery Gresh
Young Parker Long

Marshal Steven Ross

Acres Sincs Paton Kent/Clark

Lots of numbers behind the ball then our sprint them with our speed on the break.

If Brett Ratten & Brendon Lade are the “difference” between 2018 season performances and results and this current season, then I think these guys, along with Richo will be already looking at what went wrong, and what went right against the Crows, and will be preparing for GWS accordingly. One game at a time!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

From looking at Bruce against the Crows, he clearly didn't have enough power in his legs to contest strongly, or move freely enough for whatever injury reason. I don't think he will be playing against GWS. If Marsh can give us either mobility or marking, or both deep in the forward line, then he should be in. No good recruiting ready-made players and not playing them.
Well there is if there are better options. Bruce could be fit by Saturday. If not he doesn’t play but you can write him off yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Bruce doesn't get up how about this for a radical idea - we play a ruckman in the ruck and a forward in the forward line.

Like it or not Longer is a perfect match for Mumford and that allows Marshall (who is actually referred to as a key forward/ruckman by the St Kilda FC) to play as - yep you guessed it - a key forward.

There’s just one problem, Longer is not good.

DMac to Greene could be a good match up,Brown to Findlayson,Darragh to Cameron,Wilkie or Battle to Himelberg.
D Mac did a great job on him last time we played them. Im pretty sure Greene didnt tough the ball in the first half and only got into the game late once the game was affectively over.

Hes a bit better than that from what ive seen. The bigger grounds should suit young.
He has barely impacted at VFL level and only makes an appearance for a few minutes throughout the whole game. I just don't see him being worth bringing in when we already have Kent, Parker and Long who are cameo players at best at the moment.

Lonie is really our only small forward who impacts for a full game and helps link the midfield to the forward line, which is the completely opposition to Young. Despite them both being small, they aren't a like-for-like swap at all.

He has barely impacted at VFL level and only makes an appearance for a few minutes throughout the whole game. I just don't see him being worth bringing in when we already have Kent, Parker and Long who are cameo players at best at the moment.

Lonie is really our only small forward who impacts for a full game and helps link the midfield to the forward line, which is the completely opposition to Young. Despite them both being small, they aren't a like-for-like swap at all.
Agreed.

Gresham is the best replacement for Lonie. Clark to replace Gresh through the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back