Preview Round 7, 2019: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 4th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer would be in the bottom 5 listed AFL players & that’s including first year players & rookies.

He has a hot girlfriend though, I doubt he'd give too many shits. He seems like he's so relaxed he wouldn't care any way actually.

Long and Parker provide decent pressure as well as a Loney type. Now let's face it the 3 tall opposition defenders wont be providing much rebound and our 3 talks should be able to contain players like Hartigan, Keith and Talia. It's the smaller ones that need to do the job on your Laird/Smith types and that rests with Parker and Long.

I thought Parker did about as good as could be expected, especially seeing he was playing sore.

I thought it was one time it would have been worth moving back to last years whiplash style. We were slow moving the ball into our 50 and they set up before we got there.
I thought we really struggled with tempo, at times we went slow and at other times rushed way too fast. More handball and less confidence in just creating a stoppage and then going from there. Probably because we were getting flogged in clearance.

I personally have liked when we have played with numbers behind the ball clogging up the back 50. We only press up when we have created a deep entry to put on a forward press which we’ve done well this year. A reason why I don’t mind intercept marks when they are deep.

This week at times we looked like the bombers getting numbers streaming forward which left us exposed at the back.

I think because we’ve been low scoring the coaches have wanted a bit more dare from the backline to create more scores, but I think it backfired a bit.

Edit: talls just don’t bring the pressure that reduces the effectiveness of having an outnumber IMO

Last edited:
I thought Parker did about as good as could be expected, especially seeing he was playing sore.
Parker was very good. Bagged 3 goals so if your going to let your direct opponent provide that much run, then you need to hurt him the other way which he did on the scoreboard. Long got crunched and played with a sore shoulder. Kicked 1 himself as well. Those 2 considering they were injured/sore couldn't have done much more.

Hickey and Marshall play similar ruck games, not huge hit out stats and not a lot of really dominant hit outs to advantage but they both add an extra around the ground player. Those types were disadvantaged last year with ruck rules that suited Gawn types. This year they loosened it with rucks being able to take the ball out of the ruck and play on. It meant mobile smaller rucks are back in the contest.

Hickey looks a bit clumsy at times but had some good games, Marshall looks a lot more coordinated and stylish playing similar. His age suggests that he really could be anything as well.
Yeah exactly.

Without putting too much pressure on the kid, Marshall looks to me like he could turn out as good as Brodie Grundy. Grundy took a fair while to develop too and really took off last year whereas Roma has really hit the ground running as soon as he has been given the main job. Roma is a similar height to Grundy and after a couple of pre seasons will have a similar build so I can easily see him influencing contests like Grundy has done last year and this year.

What I love about these sorts of ruckmen is they aren’t lumbering and can quickly influence the contest after the initial ruck contest. This is even more vital with 6/6/6.

Hickey like you said was/is a bit of an awkward mover and a level below Grundy and Roma as a mobile ruckman but he is nowhere near as bad as he was made out to be by the Billy fans and is doing an ok job at the Premiers as I knew he would. He’d be a handy back-up right now.

We’ll need to get a backup from the state league at this rate as Pierce isn’t up to it and the only St Kilda team I want to see Billy getting near is if we enter a team in Esports in the future and he is playing Fortnite or Apex.

Yeah exactly.

Without putting too much pressure on the kid, Marshall looks to me like he could turn out as good as Brodie Grundy. Grundy took a fair while to develop too and really took off last year whereas Roma has really hit the ground running as soon as he has been given the main job. Roma is a similar height to Grundy and after a couple of pre seasons will have a similar build so I can easily see him influencing contests like Grundy has done last year and this year.

What I love about these sorts of ruckmen is they aren’t lumbering and can quickly influence the contest after the initial ruck contest. This is even more vital with 6/6/6.

Hickey like you said was/is a bit of an awkward mover and a level below Grundy and Roma as a mobile ruckman but he is nowhere near as bad as he was made out to be by the Billy fans and is doing an ok job at the Premiers as I knew he would. He’d be a handy back-up right now.

We’ll need to get a backup from the state league at this rate as Pierce isn’t up to it and the only St Kilda team I want to see Billy getting near is if we enter a team in Esports in the future and he is playing Fortnite or Apex.

Longer was always promising but never quite got going, he's still a relatively young ruck but just needs to get a whole lot better at the basics if he wants a career. He could get big and become a decent mature ruckman who just bash and crashes.

Long and Parker provide decent pressure as well as a Loney type. Now let's face it the 3 tall opposition defenders wont be providing much rebound and our 3 talks should be able to contain players like Hartigan, Keith and Talia. It's the smaller ones that need to do the job on your Laird/Smith types and that rests with Parker and Long.
This is where I’ll say I’m no AFL coach and it’s all just an option based on how I see the game.

To me this is an overly simplistic view as we don’t have 3 sets of 6 players in their zones accross the ground. For example, how good are our ground ball gets in the back 50. That comes (IMO) from having an out number there, that means they have an outnumber somewhere else. This is true at their end too, we set up a zone outside their 50 to create multiple entries and stop their rebound, by default they outnumber us in their 50 to clog it up and stop us scoring from a stoppage. More high pressure (particularly quick ones) reduces the impact of that outnumber (as they are all squished into the 50). This outnumbering happens in all non one on one situations, which is pretty much all afl football now.

Not confident heading into this one. What i want to see is us bounce back with the intensity of rounds 1-5. If we do and lose i can be ok with that.

Any loss under 30 points will be a good effort taking into account how ravaged our list is at the moment

Giants by 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longer was always promising but never quite got going, he's still a relatively young ruck but just needs to get a whole lot better at the basics if he wants a career. He could get big and become a decent mature ruckman who just bash and crashes.
I just get the impression he isn't that hungry to get the most out of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back