Autopsy Round 7, 2021 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Will probably get roasted but i dont know why Bergman gives me Ben Jacobs go home vibes. He is a gun having an extended runa t it though. Scrubs some kicks but went at 74% 7 marks 448 metres gained then does it both ways 4 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s and that beautiful long goal. Feel like his aerial ability and skills are being wasted in a short kicking half back flank role. Would like to see him take Duursmas wing role and kick some more snags or deliver inside 50

If he is at least we'll get something for him. The problem with Jacobs wasn't just that he left, it was that he was so ****ing garbage that he tanked his value so badly in two years that we couldn't get a half eaten sandwich for him at the trade table.

Two bad losses
West Coast in Perth and Brisbane in Brisbane. Both long flights and both time we have looked flat with the game over by half time.

Whether we are going in with ordinary game plans or we are being killed by the travel plans but
the lack of pressure has been obvious, arm tackles abound, no real second efforts.

Real issues away from AO and Vic

If we get thumped a third time? It's round 7 ffs. The fact that we've been thumped twice already is just a massive flashing red light. And let's face it, take out the games against non contenders North, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon and it's actually 2 thumpings from 3 legitimate opponents.

Just as with the West Coast game, tonight we sat on our hands and did nothing to arrest the tide. Nothing changed, tactically, positionally, or effort. It felt like at quarter time the coaches and players packed up their tents and said "lol there's always next week lol".

It's funny isn't it, we really lose in incredibly embarrassing fashion.

This week it was the Cameron show and playing several players back into form. The finishing goals, etc. Against WC it was mark of the year, goal of the year, Harlem globetrotter level sh*t.

We just don't lose with honour, we embarrass ourselves.

Funny thing is, it actually used to be the opposite, we used to lose the bulk of our games relatively close and bemoan our poor record in close games. Then Brown and Larkey combined for 15 and it seems every time we lose from then on is an embarrassing smashing (save for a vintage what happen power choke in the prelim final).

We are downhill skiiers of the highest order.
Nah.

Richmond is still the team to beat as made evident on Friday night, and winning that game with half of our team limping was pretty convincing for us. I'm obviously not trying to paint over tonight's disappointments, but our capacity to beat the best is still alive. The dogs in 2 weeks' time will hopefully give us a chance to refresh our statement a bit, in the meantime all I'm worried about is the road cones we face next week.

Two bad losses
West Coast in Perth and Brisbane in Brisbane. Both long flights and both time we have looked flat with the game over by half time.

Whether we are going in with ordinary game plans or we are being killed by the travel plans but
the lack of pressure has been obvious, arm tackles abound, no real second efforts.

Real issues away from AO and Vic
We didn't look flat at all. We were smashing them early in the middle. We smashed them early in inside 50s. We were there to play. Those are key stats showing we are getting the game on the terms we want it.
Unfortunately regardless of the fact we had it on our terms, we have a fundamentally flawed approach to playing Brisbane and they exploited it the same way they have the last 4 times we've played, and they demolished us, destroying our game plan and using it against us.

Let's not try and turn this into anything other than what it was. Brisbane has the wood over us, they have a style that absolutely tears us apart, home and away. Personnel, effort, intensity, etc had nothing to do with it. Structure and game plan did.

Very disappointing night. Didn’t expect us to win but the way we lost is unacceptable.

I think Bergman is going to be a very good player for us. Did gift them a goal but overall pretty solid. He will only get better
I'll be fair on him we had like half our 22 concede goals from random clangers. My question is if we should continue to persist with his defensive presence or try him up forward a bit.

Just as with the West Coast game, tonight we sat on our hands and did nothing to arrest the tide. Nothing changed, tactically, positionally, or effort. It felt like at quarter time the coaches and players packed up their tents and said "lol there's always next week lol".
A big downhill ski against the worst camry side in history next week will fix everything.

Weird game, felt and looked like we were losing by 100+ for most of it when in reality until near 3/4 time were only 2-3 goals away from being back in it - just never seemed likely though.

Ball movement and skills were diabolical, greasy yes but Brisbane clogging up the space around our ball carriers just suffocated the life out of any run and carry and left us awkwardly handballing sideways to the feet of some stunned mullet team-mate looking in the opposite direction. Infuriating especially when compounded with simple dropped marks and wet noodle tackes.

Back six propped up by AA passable, kept Brisbane under 100 and only let a few cheapies over the back, not their fault everyone else up field could only stand there scratching their heads. Frederick good and will be better for the run although was disappointed in his chase down of Cameron where he didn't try to apply any tackling pressure as Cameron kicked it, could have been the camera angle though and far from alone in that regard. DBJ disappointing, laid a great tackle early on but then practically unsighted - keen to see a big response from him next week as I feel he is a barometer.

Mids and forwards a clear fail barring Drew and Wines, clearly missed Boak and a down night for Gray even before having the stuffing knocked out of him by the ground. Those guys not going to be around forever so especially disappointed not to see others around lift in response.

Some worrying signs but not quite panic stations yet, Dogs, Cats and Dee's to come will give us a clearer indication so long as we keep winning in the meantime.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair dinkum, it looked like we were using rugby balls tonight.

So far this year we have been impressive with our ball movement, one touch reflex actions cutting up defences, tonight it was as if that all fell away.
How does your skill level drop so quickly? Was the ball significantly different due to water weight, were we exhausted pregame, did someone sneeze on the players, wtf happened.

Made myself sit through that garbage (including listening to that fkwit Brereton) but walked away feeling very confused. How do you you screw things up so badly after one week with one selection change?

Also, what the hell happened to kicking it to the advantage of our forwards, so many intercepts against, were we lazy or are we incapable of staying on task?

Nah.

Richmond is still the team to beat as made evident on Friday night, and winning that game with half of our team limping was pretty convincing for us. I'm obviously not trying to paint over tonight's disappointments, but our capacity to beat the best is still alive. The dogs in 2 weeks' time will hopefully give us a chance to refresh our statement a bit, in the meantime all I'm worried about is the road cones we face next week.

Nah. We can only challenge the best at adelaide oval. We would be slaughtered by Richmond if we play at MCG.

We are lucky to play most of the good teams at adelaide oval this year, Richmond, Melbourne, bulldogs (once), swans, geelong

Fair dinkum, it looked like we were using rugby balls tonight.

So far this year we have been impressive with our ball movement, one touch reflex actions cutting up defences, tonight it was as if that all fell away.
How does your skill level drop so quickly? Was the ball significantly different due to water weight, were we exhausted pregame, did someone sneeze on the players, wtf happened.

Made myself sit through that garbage (including listening to that fkwit Brereton) but walked away feeling very confused. How do you you screw things up so badly after one week with one selection change?

Also, what the hell happened to kicking it to the advantage of our forwards, so many intercepts against, were we lazy or are we incapable of staying on task?
Our forwards were consistently out positioned and beaten to the ball by their opponents. They should take as much, if not more blame tonight as our mids.

If we get thumped a third time? It's round 7 ffs. The fact that we've been thumped twice already is just a massive flashing red light. And let's face it, take out the games against non contenders North, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon and it's actually 2 thumpings from 3 legitimate opponents.
I honestly don’t remember posting the bit you quoted. Did you quote me from tonight’s game. I must be going more senile than I realised.

Hartlett can never play for the club again. Go and enjoy your retirement. I swear, that free kick reversal set the entire tone of the match. Other than the completely inept coach (who keeps picking him mind you) no individual is more responsible for this loss than Hamish Hartlett.
Harsh mate.
It's not as though Hartlett came from 50 metres away and knocked him through a month of Sundays.
He barely touched the bloodnut. Robinson put so much mayo on it, I don't think there's any left in Brisbane.
A competent umpire wouldn't have paid it. In actual fact he should be reported for it.

What Hartlett did you see happen 100 times a game - they just don't flop as bad as the bloodnut (or if they do, the umpire doesn't get suck in like this inept moron did).

So, your saying it's Hartlett's fault because a free was overturned and then the whole team sooked it up?
If that's the case, Hartlett getting a game is the least of our problems...

Most of it has already been said.
Our traditional first 5-10 minutes previewing what we can expect for the whole match.
Though Alir and Wines were our best. Drew continues to look like he belongs. Just keeps getting the ball.
Bergman apart from that one mistake showed he’ll be more than useful.
SPP was ok in the first half, think he’ll be better for the run.
Can’t question Lycetts effort but he looks tired!!

On the negative side I don’t see the point of Mayes as sub. I think he’s a solid role player but needs to build into a game.
Disappointed with Marshall, he shows glimpses but seems to have very little presence.

As much as it’s easy to go through and pick faults with the players the fact that we continue to put in performances like this has to point to our coaching.
If it was a one off you could forgive it to a degree but we just continue to build expectations and then serve up games like this when it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was worried about this game. We had friends over tonight so decided to record and watch later depending on score. Saw the quarter time score. Knew we would get belted. Totally unsurprised when I saw the final score.

Deleted the game off my IQ. Made the right call not to watch the game. It saved me alot of anger.

Same old Port...Same shit different year

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2021 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back