Round 7 - Melbourne vs Adelade MCG Friday night game.. Your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

oooze said:
You adeliade supporters are forgetting 1 thing you haven't beaten anybody! Kangaroos are a very average team that havent beaten anyone respectable. Port Adelaide are on the bottom.

To lose to the kangaroos at your home ground would be embarrassing.

hmmm and we didn't lose to the kangaroos on our home ground - what afl are you following btw?

oooze said:
You adeliade supporters are forgetting 1 thing you haven't beaten anybody! Kangaroos are a very average team that havent beaten anyone respectable. Port Adelaide are on the bottom.

Name someone decent Melbourne has beaten.

To lose to Freo in Melbourne would be embarassing....oh wait you did! :)

oooze said:

Essendon, Bulldogs,Geelong and Sydney for your lot sunshine!!

Losses to St Kilda plus Freo at home.

Not too many big scalps in that lot either.

You're getting a little bit ahead of yourself, aren't you?? :rolleyes:

many apologies for the one spelling mistake that appears to be sad :confused:

All up it was a weird comment to make, we didn't lose to the kangaroos (team that was in the top 4), whereas they lost to freo (and where were they on the ladder last week?) so that's why i was a little confused as to the statement.

oooze said:
Funny how you judge the Kangaroos by last years standards and Port Adelaide's by this years standards.

Are St Kilda not "anyone respectable"?

NikkiNoo said:
many apologies for the one spelling mistake that appears to be sad :confused:

All up it was a weird comment to make, we didn't lose to the kangaroos (team that was in the top 4), whereas they lost to freo (and where were they on the ladder last week?) so that's why i was a little confused as to the statement.

i think you know why its sad. If you are going to criticise someones grammer, it is a good start to spell the word correctly. All he was saying was he didnt rate the kangaroos which is reasonable i think. We dont rate freo either and we actually won. Grammer didnt have much to do with it. That was an example of average grammer and poor spelling :cool:

outback jack said:
i think you know why its sad. If you are going to criticise someones grammer, it is a good start to spell the word correctly. All he was saying was he didnt rate the kangaroos which is reasonable i think. We dont rate freo either and we actually won. Grammer didnt have much to do with it. That was an example of average grammer and poor spelling :cool:

hey i know my sentences and grammar are not the best, but what i was getting at was that his/her comments were a little hard to understand their meaning. That was why I was confused, and why i asked the question. Now it may have made sense to others, but didn't seem as clear cut to me. Mine can be a little convoluted at times too and the others on here have pulled me up on it. It's an internet message board so most of the time proper spelling and grammar goes out the window, but at least we try and make sense as best we can.

my gramma lives in England

Back to the game, i was looking at 2002 semi and m. stevens tore them a new belly button in that game, i hope he gets the nod this week. I know hes still not quite right, but chuck him in there give them something to worry about and i wouldnt be surprised if burton has his blinder for the year tomorrow night.

NikkiNoo said:
hey i know my sentences and grammar are not the best, but what i was getting at was that his/her comments were a little hard to understand their meaning. That was why I was confused, and why i asked the question. Now it may have made sense to others, but didn't seem as clear cut to me. Mine can be a little convoluted at times too and the others on here have pulled me up on it. It's an internet message board so most of the time proper spelling and grammar goes out the window, but at least we try and make sense as best we can.

mine arent isnt flash either, but picking on grammar when you spell it wrong is mildly amusing. What he wrote was hard to understand i can see that. Not really a big deal though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think Watts or Meeson will get a go this week or the Count given another 5 minutes???

I just hope that if Melbourne players do target Scotty Thompson that some of our players stand up for him. Our recent history in this area of the game is deplorable.

Crows by 24 pts provided our dysfunctional forward line can, between them, kick 5-7 goals, leaving our midfield to kick the winning score.

SpringChoke said:
I just hope that if Melbourne players do target Scotty Thompson that some of our players stand up for him. Our recent history in this area of the game is deplorable.

Hi SC, from what I saw early on in the season, the 'standing up for your mate' attribute is not the case this year, past years I agree, but there seemed to be some positive signs this season that this is changing.

NikkiNoo said:
Hi SC, from what I saw early on in the season, the 'standing up for your mate' attribute is not the case this year, past years I agree, but there seemed to be some positive signs this season that this is changing.

Yeah I agree, I just hope it continues. Especially this week, as I expect Thommo to get a fair amount of attention from ex-teammates.

We'll take on Demons: Craig

3:59:51 PM Thu 5 May, 2005
Alan Shiell
Sportal for afl.com.au

Neil Craig says Adelaide will 'take on' Melbourne, in an attacking sense, at the MCG on Friday night, but he baulks at forecasting the type of 42-goal shootout the Demons (20.9) and Fremantle (22.11) staged at the MCG last Saturday.

"If we want to kick 16-20 goals for the game, we're going to have to take them on, but, to me, taking an opposition on is not all about just trying offensive football," coach Craig said after the Crows had trained on Thursday.

"Taking opposition on is very much having a strong defensive action to get hold of it and cause some errors, so we can get hold of it and take them on with the attacking side of things.

"So, quite clearly, we want to be a high-scoring team but we're not into the game, either, of saying, well, we'll kick 30 and they can kick 28.

"At the moment, our scoring hasn't been quite as high as we would like it, but certainly our defensive action, even from just a statistical point of view, is probably about where we want it. We've just now got to add a bit more offence to the way we go about it."

Melbourne is the highest-scoring team over the first six rounds. It has an aggregate of 681 points - 120 (20 goals) more than Adelaide's 561, the eighth highest of the 16 teams.

Melbourne is 10th on the points-against tally, with 588 - 110 more than Adelaide's 478, the second-lowest total behind top-of-the-ladder West Coast's 445.

Craig said Melbourne's forward line had been 'outstanding' this season (with scores of 15.13, 20.17, 18.6, 15.14, 14.10 and 20.9).

"They've got a huge amount of talent in there, so to be able to shut everyone down or to put a strong defensive action on everyone is going to be tough for our backline," he said.

"But as I've said in previous weeks, it's really about our defensive action all over the ground that will be the key to it, so whatever happens down back will be a reflection of us as a team, not necessarily those back six.

"Having said that, we're confident we've got the flexibility to handle just about any combination they put against us."

Noting changes to the Demons' style of play this season, Craig said: "It's interesting. They've gone from what I would term a handballing side to being, with the Kangaroos, very much a kicking side.

"So our pressure's going to be important - the ability to be able to force them wide and not to give them time and space to execute the kick, and understanding they still will use some handball, but if you start zoning on these guys, you are asking for trouble. So we're much aware of the potency they've got."

Craig said the Crows aimed to kick four or five goals a quarter.

"So how that unfolds, I'm not particularly concerned with," he said. "For example, last week (Andrew) McLeod created two goals for us - not on the scoreboard as in next to Andrew McLeod, but he created two of those. We've got forwards up there and quite clearly one of their roles and responsibilities is to kick their share of goals.

"But we don't want to fall into the trap of saying that if Ian Perrie doesn't kick four or five or (Scott) Welsh doesn't get four or five, well, we pack up and go home."

More from Craig...

Crows excited by big stage

Adelaide is relishing the challenge of playing the first of its two Friday-night matches this season - against Melbourne this Friday night in the Crows' only appearance at the MCG in this home-and-away season.

"You get a chance to put yourself on the stage - a national stage - and you know a lot of people watch the game, irrespective of who they support," Adelaide coach Neil Craig said on Thursday.

"So it's exciting and you get an opportunity to demonstrate your trademark, so that's important for us and where we want to go.

"It's an opportunity for us to do that against a very, very good; a side that's certainly looking to be in the finals, if not a premiership favourite.

"We recognise that. We put our hand up to step forward and put ourselves on the line and hopefully put on a good performance for our supporters."

Adelaide's other Friday-night match this season is against St Kilda at Telstra Dome on May 20 (round nine).

When Craig was asked whether it concerned him that the duel with Melbourne was the Crows' only game at the MCG in the 22 rounds of the home-and-away season, he said: "Well, it does, but let's make sure we utilise it to the best of our ability. The draw is always going to be a situation where not everyone's happy with it.

"That's where a lot of finals are played. We keep saying, and we won't back away from it, we're aiming to make the eight, which means hopefully getting a chance to play at the MCG. But, having said that, we also want to make sure we pride ourselves as a club that doesn't have to have everything right for us to perform.

"That's the last thing we want to develop - a culture in our club that everything's got to be perfect for us to play good footy. We've got one opportunity (to play at the MCG) so we'll make sure we maximise the whole protocol/travel routine to get the best out of it."

Of Adelaide centre half-back Ken McGregor's 100th AFL match on Friday night, Craig said: "It's fantastic for Ken. He's just really starting to come of age, not only on the field but off the field.

"To play 100 games of AFL is a credit to anyone. He's 24 so he's going to be another seven or eight-year player for us, to play extremely good football, not only down back. I think the next step for Ken, when the timing's right, will be to go forward as well."

Asked whether he had 'gone through with Scott Thompson the emotional danger of playing against his former club', Craig said: "For about 30 seconds. That can work both ways. Quite clearly for Scott, he's now a very important member of our club and he goes to the MCG to play really well, based on what he wants to be as a footballer.

"To try to use the motivation of playing against a previous side, I think you've got to be really careful with that. I know Scott had four really good years with Melbourne. He enjoyed his time there. Quite clearly, Scott's more concerned with playing well for us.

"His attitude is outstanding. I like the way he goes about his footy, as I do all our guys. At the young age of 22, he wants it to be his profession for the next 10 years and his whole attitude towards it, the way he prepares, the way he conducts himself around the club, all add up to me that we've got a very important member who has come into our club. So we're really keen to have Scott here for a long period of time."

SpringChoke said:
Yeah I agree, I just hope it continues. Especially this week, as I expect Thommo to get a fair amount of attention from ex-teammates.

totally agree, the w carey incident will forever stand out in jacks mind. Saying that melbourne dont exactly have any enforcers, especially in the middle, maybe maloney hes the guy they got, so he wouldnt have any grudges. I'd like to see rutten throw himself around a bit more, especially against the smaller players.

snakebite01 said:
Round 1 - Welsh (Adel) first goal, Adel lose
Round 2 - Rocca (Coll) first goal, Coll lose
Round 3 - Ebert (Port) first goal, Port lose
Round 4 - O'Loughlin (Syd) first goal, Syd lose
Round 5 - Perrie (Adel) first goal, Adel lose
Round 6 - Grant (Kang) first goal, Kang lose

Round 7 - ???? Hopefully Neitz (Melb) first goal, Melb lose.

Don't like to quote myself but did anyone see them blatantly copy this on Fox League Teams? Plagiarism I tells ya! :mad: :p

snakebite01 said:
Don't like to quote myself but did anyone see them blatantly copy this on Fox League Teams? Plagiarism I tells ya!

It's the price of fame, snakebite!! ;)

I did see this on Fox - wasn't too hard to work out where it came from. :D

macca23 said:
Outstanding comments from Craig.

I have to admit he's really winning me with his positive no excuses attitude.

Now it's up to the boys to back him up.

Yup I agree. Excuses (however subtle or small) will get you nowhere.

Interesting point Craig made about the Melbourne forward line - they are scary sort of scores they have been kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 7 - Melbourne vs Adelade MCG Friday night game.. Your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back