Preview Round 8, 2019: Hawthorn v GWS Giants, 12 May 2019, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view is that with time, the coaching staff may need to seriously consider whether the current game style is just too structured and not enough use of central corridor - and therefore at times too slow - with the trends in the game in the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My view is that with time, the coaching staff may need to seriously consider whether the current game style is just too structured and not enough use of central corridor - and therefore at times too slow - with the trends in the game in the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On point. Would have to be the first item of discussion in the Monday review.

Our ball movement is the worst in the comp. So easy to defend at present and we're playing teams back into form and confidence by the week.

On point. Would have to be the first item of discussion in the Monday review.

Our ball movement is the worst in the comp. So easy to defend at present and we're playing teams back into form and confidence by the week.
But how do you switch from this silly, slow, pinpoint, chip it sideways game into a fast, free flowing, all attacking gameplan?

Seems like something other clubs have been trying for years to implement

But how do you switch from this silly, slow, pinpoint, chip it sideways game into a fast, free flowing, all attacking gameplan?

We need some speed in the team to break open the lines. No one is running to create space at the moment.

Players need the confidence to do it.
In themselves and each other to take the risks.

Season 2019 is 2009 and 2017 redux -- a transition season, so not even going to bother playing the speculation game.

If we lose again this week, then that's fine with me -- another GWS win is another step toward the prevention of an 'axis of evil' flag (Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong). Even when we're a flagging team, we always manage to put up a hell of a fight. This can only help our allies get stronger and better primed for finals.

As for what the near-ish future holds for us, I've seen enough evidence this season to suggest that 2020-2022 will see order restored to the galaxy.

I see two possibilities for this game;
1. Giants show their class and waltz all over us to an easy victory OR
2. We improve vastly in form and run them really close in a terrific contest, but come up short again

We're not that far away from clicking, still a fair bit of work to do, but we've seen some very good patches of football this year. The boys just have to keep chipping away, and the young lads need to keep their heads up. Tough moments teach you more than good moments

Tob and Kaiden are least of our problems, it’s the fact that Worpel and jaeger came to a stand still in the last qtr and this has been a major problem with Worps most games so far. We need the line up we had in Rd 1 playing through the midfield. Cousins has to come back in so he and Howe can give Worps jaeger and Shiels a chop out so that they’re not so gassed late in qtrs.

Correct it is knowing how to address this issue,
Howe had 7 touches up to half time 3 of them would of been turnovers.
You can't play Howe and cousins together they A- don't find enough of the footy.
B- don't do enough with the footy.
C- don't run out games like worpel.
It might be better bring in a t.miles or a c.j and releasing a impey or Hardwick a bit more on the ball we lack a bit of grunt which both those two can provide.

Ps What happened to the unsociable hawks no one lays a bump or a hard tackle in our forward line our midfield is much the same. The defence was led buy stratts and dimma last yr this yr across the board were tackling like u10s.

Correct it is knowing how to address this issue,
Howe had 7 touches up to half time 3 of them would of been turnovers.
You can't play Howe and cousins together they A- don't find enough of the footy.
B- don't do enough with the footy.
C- don't run out games like worpel.
It might be better bring in a t.miles or a c.j and releasing a impey or Hardwick a bit more on the ball we lack a bit of grunt which both those two can provide.

Ps What happened to the unsociable hawks no one lays a bump or a hard tackle in our forward line our midfield is much the same. The defence was led buy stratts and dimma last yr this yr across the board were tackling like u10s.
Yeah surely Howe goes, cousins already overtaken him for mine. Howe is a tough nut but adds absolutely nothing else. He’s too slow mind and foot. Gets caught way to often. This team needs Miles and CJ badly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: Frawley, Cousins, Scrimshaw
OUT: Brand, Howe, Puopolo
It's either Moore or Poppy as a small forward. I say we look to the future and give Moore more games at the expense of Poppy.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Sicily, O’Brien, Impey

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Scully

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Lewis, Moore, Cousins, Scrimshaw

B: Stratton Frawley Burgoyne
HB: Hardwick O'Brien Hendo
C: Scully Shiels Smith
HF: Roughy Gunston Impey
F: Wingard Sicily Breust
R: Mcevoy Omerea Worpel

Cousins,Poppy/Moore ,lewis,Scrimshaw

In Defence leadership - stratts,chip,silk.
Running power hendo,silk,hardwick.

Up forward - yes I am changing the set-up for the first time since 2017, Roughy&Gunners need help in there sending Sicily with wingard,bruest,impey at his feet wow!

Last edited:
B: Stratton Frawley Burgoyne
HB: Hardwick O'Brien Hendo
C: Scully Shiels Smith
HF: Roughy Gunston Impey
F: Wingard Sicily Breust
R: Mcevoy Omerea Worpel

Cousins,Poppy/Moore ,lewis,Scrimshaw

In Defence leadership - stratts,chip,silk.
Running power hendo,silk,hardwick.

Up forward - yes I am changing the set-up for the first time since 2017, Roughy&Gunners need help in there sending Sicily with wingard,bruest,impey at his feet wow!
Big learning curve but I would have Lewis start at CHF and Gunners on the Half forward. Roughy to the Backline. TOB start on the bench.

Hardwick Frawley Scrimshaw

O’Brien Brand Impey

Smith O’Meara Henderson

Scully Sicily Wingard

Gunston Lewis Breust

McEvoy Shiels Worpel

Int.. Burgoyne Cousins Moore Ross

Out - Stratts (omitted) Poppy (omitted) Howe (omitted) Rough (omitted)

In - Cousins Frawley Scrimshaw Ross

We need some serious scoring power!
Rough & Poppy aren’t providing that & have been omitted. Ross get a rewarded a debut on good form.

O’Brien, Scrimshaw & Brand can cover the intercepting that Sicily provides, fingers crossed it gels with the run of Impey & Hardwick for more rebounding out of defence.

Front 6 can easily kick 100 points with genuine forward entries with fast ball movement & not the long bomb BS.

Cousins & Burgoyne provide the midfield depth we are desperately in need of. Howe isn’t getting enough if it & Cousins has shown more in 2019.

7 rounds in... Im done playing favourites & wielding the axe.
Our list isn’t doom & gloom, far from it.
I’m under no illusions of a top 4 side but we can’t carry two forwards that can’t score, a defender that doesn’t attack & a midfielder who isn’t getting the football.

O’Brien Brand Impey

Smith O’Meara Henderson

Scully Sicily Wingard

Gunston Lewis Breust

McEvoy Shiels Worpel

Rough & Poppy aren’t providing that & have been omitted. Ross get a rewarded a debut on good form.

O’Brien, Scrimshaw & Brand can cover the intercepting that Sicily provides, fingers crossed it gels with the run of Impey & Hardwick for more rebounding out of defence.

Front 6 can easily kick 100 points with genuine forward entries with fast ball movement & not the long bomb BS.

Cousins & Burgoyne provide the midfield depth we are desperately in need of. Howe isn’t getting enough if it & Cousins has shown more in 2019.

I’m under no illusions of a top 4 side but we can’t carry two forwards that can’t score, a defender that doesn’t attack & a midfielder who isn’t getting the football.

There is zero chance of this happening. Zero.

O’Brien Brand Impey

Smith O’Meara Henderson

Scully Sicily Wingard

Gunston Lewis Breust

McEvoy Shiels Worpel

Massive call from you! Probably the right call with those players. When was the last time a skipper was dropped?

Massive call from you! Probably the right call with those players. When was the last time a skipper was dropped?
That MrZ I don’t know.
Fortune favours the brave & Hawthorn are playing defensive football with old players not getting a kick & we have the capacity to throw the magnets around & look to the future without loosing much, if at all

We're the #1 tackling side in the comp at present.
Testament to how much we allow the opposition to posses the football. If there's a 'second to the ball' stat we're probably leading that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back