Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Demons really are just that good. Can't say I'm too upset about a loss like that, their list is just unreal. The two ruck setup is so damaging for us but when they've got Gawn contesting the taps and a guy like Jackson with the engine he has spreading the ground it makes things so so hard for Roma and Paddy. Can talk all we want about Ross being a bit sub par, Jones starting a bit slow coming back and Gresham not using the ball well - but when they come into a stoppage with Gawn/Oliver/Petracca/Viney/Langdon/Brayshaw I'm really not sure exactly what we can expect. Head to SA next week, get a scalp there and reset for the rest of the year.
What game were you watching? Jackson was awful, roundly beaten by Paddy and Marshall.

We play the Cats at Marvel next week so I hope we don't go to Adelaide.

Reckon you should probably stay out of the conversation if you didn’t watch 3 qtrs. Not sure where you’re coming from tbh.
That the umpiring was shit? Do you think it was good? Majority of comments in the GD thread suggest otherwise. Perhaps you didn't watch the game either

Our centre bounce work was the biggest concern, I thought with Paddy rucking we could at least break even there but they destroyed us.

Gawn Oliver and Petracca work like clockwork there and gave them so many easy clearances yet we made no attempt to stop that.

We should have at least manned up on Oliver and Petracca when it became obvious Gawn was winning the taps but we sat back and let them run free.

The Dogs made the same mistake in the GF, they backed themselves to win the centre bounce clearances instead of defending against them.

If you let the Dees win easy centre clearances your defence gets put under pressure. our defence fought hard but eventually the dam wall breaks.

What game were you watching? Jackson was awful, roundly beaten by Paddy and Marshall.

We play the Cats at Marvel next week so I hope we don't go to Adelaide.

I didn't think Jackson was great but it felt like having him run around the ground broke our structure. Ryder did well but besides his two goals Marshall didn't have much of an impact.

No idea why I thought we were heading to Adelaide next week :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Why not have the co captaincy. Obviously geary is gone as a playing option but Steele and him worked perfectly as the silent lead by example skipper and the vocal morale booster.

A similar dynamic if we could find it would be perfect
Steele sooks and whinges far too much for a captain, his body language when he doesn’t get a decision go his way can be appalling

That first centre contest was symptomatic of our first half. Gresh ran onto the ball and preferred to try to kick it out of the air rather than grab it. We were spooked. Second half much less spooked.

I am sick of people saying how great their team is. They were a rabble, laughing stock 3 years ago. Same personnel. Now just really well drilled and full of confidence. There really are inches and margins in this game. Solid, confident, resilient players will beat skilled players most times these days.

People turning off at qtr time. Wtf is going on.
When did I turn into multiple people?

15 wins in a row and they've got us all bluffed 😂

Love you too mate

Your mate Danster has been PMing everyone again in his usual style. Dees fans are getting on the nose lately, you're just one of the high profile ones. You're pretty good value Schmutt, you are usually very respectful and level headed.

Steele sooks and whinges far too much for a captain, his body language when he doesn’t get a decision go his way can be appalling
Bullshit to write him off like that. He’s only like that when we’re losing. When we’re winning you couldn’t ask for a better captain.

Just need to find him a friend who can do the work in these types of matches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL - that tool of an umpire reported Zak Jones for Oliver's acting skills.

If we are to play them again this year I hope we play Sharman and King. Allows king to push higher up the ground if he’s struggling at times as they always like to leave May as their deep anchor.

We don’t play them again in H&A

When you look at our midfield.... Steele, Crouch, Gresh, Ross, Jones... none of them are particularly good field kicks.

It impacts us immensely.

That the umpiring was shit? Do you think it was good? Majority of comments in the GD thread suggest otherwise. Perhaps you didn't watch the game either
I’m talking about anything about the game. You didn’t watch it. How can you have an opinion.
I watched the whole thing thank you. We weren’t that bad. Just panicked and fumbled for 40 minutes and they made us pay. We held our own and we’re possibly better for the rest of the game.
Maybe watch the replay and make comments after that.

Seriously, why the fear of Melbourne. They were full strength and played their best footy of the year in the first half while we panicked. They are beatable. They’ve got people bluffed.
People turning off at qtr time. Wtf is going on.
We’re not that far away.

Yeah they aren't that great, we could have beaten Melbourne today if we didn't have so many players that shit themselves when the pressure comes on.

We could have done with Jack Hayes today, he is one of our few players that could handle the pressure and kick a goal when it counts.

So sick of our players kicking points and costing us games, our effort counts for nothing if they can't make it count on the scoreboard.

Bullshit to write him off like that. He’s only like that when we’re losing. When we’re winning you couldn’t ask for a better captain.

Just need to find him a friend who can do the work in these types of matches
Not writing him off but a captain needs to be better when we’re losing, otherwise what message does it send to everyone else?

I’d argue it’s easier to be a good captain when the team is winning.

Yeah they aren't that great, we could have beaten Melbourne today if we didn't have so many players that shit themselves when the pressure comes on.

We could have done with Jack Hayes today, he is one of our few players that could handle the pressure and kick a goal when it counts.

Sharman - get him in and lets shake things up.

Midfield held their own, done on the outside by Langdon on the wing and Brayshaw off HBF.

I still think that if Melbourne lose one of Gawn, Oliver or Petracca for an extended period, they'll come back to the field a fair bit.

View attachment 1395408
Unfortunately the stat doesn't show the quality of those clearances. They worked it into space while slipping tackles, we dump kicked like it was 2018.

When you look at our midfield.... Steele, Crouch, Gresh, Ross, Jones... none of them are particularly good field kicks.

It impacts us immensely.
Which is fine if you are contested beast but we don't really have any of them either

We just have a heap of mids that are ok at winning contested footy and with ok to not great skills

They all have their strengths which can be quite handy at times but none are the complete package.

I still think the midfield is the one area we really should be looking for elite talent in

HAYES certainly provides and inspires physicalitry and confidence. Loosing last week against PORT wasn't the best preparation we could have had either.

Midfield held their own, done on the outside by Langdon on the wing and Brayshaw off HBF.

I still think that if Melbourne lose one of Gawn, Oliver or Petracca for an extended period, they'll come back to the field a fair bit.

View attachment 1395408
Forget the stats mate, we were well beaten in the middle

The quality of their clearances, the way they were able to win important 50-50's and the way they linked up with their running through the guts was well ahead of us

Agree if they were to lose any of those they would fall back. They are 3 of the very best players in the comp so.thats no surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back