Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly not Membrey. Captains don’t do what he did today.
Being at the game Steele and membrey along with Max seemed to sook it up when things didn’t go their way, throw their arms around because they didn’t get a free as their player ran off them

Feeling more positive today than I was after the Port game.
Make no mistake, Melbourne came to play today. They wanted to impose themselves on us, as they perceived us as a 'challenger'. They hit us hard and we went into our shells. Forget the umpiring and coaching strategy, they smacked us around in the first 1.75 quarters and it was the players who couldn't respond quickly enough.
Mid way through the second it looked like we were going down by 90+ and to our credit we fought it out from there.
Melbourne had not lost a 3rd quarter this year - until today.
There is undoubtedly a lot for us to work on, but we'll be better for the experience and should have a very clear picture of what it takes to match it with the best in the comp.
Another tough one next week, but an opportunity for the group to apply learnings from today.

Demons really are just that good. Can't say I'm too upset about a loss like that, their list is just unreal. The two ruck setup is so damaging for us but when they've got Gawn contesting the taps and a guy like Jackson with the engine he has spreading the ground it makes things so so hard for Roma and Paddy. Can talk all we want about Ross being a bit sub par, Jones starting a bit slow coming back and Gresham not using the ball well - but when they come into a stoppage with Gawn/Oliver/Petracca/Viney/Langdon/Brayshaw I'm really not sure exactly what we can expect. Head to SA next week, get a scalp there and reset for the rest of the year.

Port are trash is why, Dees are not.

They still have levels they can go to, we don't at present, Port are literally just existing and we couldn't buy a goal for 3 quarters of footy. This is just "normal service" resuming whereas port was an aberration of how poor we can actually be. Legit, that side might lose to North or Eagles since it matches poor with poor, this side today at least tried to match the standard.
Port just beat the dogs who almost beat the demons last year in the grand final if not for that Petracca last quarter.

Means we lost to a team around the mark by 1 point. And the premiership favourites by a few goals. We need to talk up port and any team that beats us if we want to convince ourselves we’re still ok. It’s propaganda 101

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being at the game Steele and membrey along with Max seemed to sook it up when things didn’t go their way, throw their arms around because they didn’t get a free as their player ran off them
Cannot stand it. Steele looks a shell. There may be something in the background we don’t know about, but it should not be walked past as acceptable.
**** I miss Lenny

I wonder if some of that is due to them being more familiar with the ground. That was their fourth straight game at the G.
But we play better at the G. I think we’re that good at the g that home ground advantage is negligible. If they played us at marvel we would have been at a disadvantage cause we suck there

I don't think they've hit 3rd or 4th gear yet. They are cruising on and making light work of every side in it. Whenever they play Brisbane will be a good game, if they win that comfortably it's over. Injury permitting they will win the flag and win it easily. Can't see how they are beatable but of course that might be because I didn't watch the game ;)
Disagree, They hit 4th rear in the first and second quarters and ran out of steam after the half. if the umps weren't so shit we would of lost by 10 points. We are the only side (this year) to have played the Dees at their best. This gives me hope as they had their best side out on the park (except Salem) and we were still missing Billings + Clark and had an underdone Jones and Marshall.

Ideally i wouldn't have Steele as captain. But who else could fill that role?

Membrey could I guess but I don't think he'd be any better.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Steele's captaincy is very low on our list of problems tbh. What need is to find another star midfeilder to place next to Steele, I imagine that would help significantly more than flipping the captaincy around.

Our B Grade midfield was found out today. You can’t criticise the effort but a midfield that includes Crouch and Ross will only get you so far. i Thought our defence was really solid today, and Paddy Ryder in the ruck broke even with the best ruckman in the competition. The effort was there today, but I’m afraid we are not good enough to compete with the top 6 teams in the competition.
Midfield held their own, done on the outside by Langdon on the wing and Brayshaw off HBF.

I still think that if Melbourne lose one of Gawn, Oliver or Petracca for an extended period, they'll come back to the field a fair bit.

1651992034196.png

Cannot stand it. Steele looks a shell. There may be something in the background we don’t know about, but it should not be walked past as acceptable.
fu** I miss Lenny
It’s quite simple. He’s new to the leadership role, had a great start to it where he was on fire, leading by example and getting 30 touches a week 7 tackles and goals too.

Everything was working out and life was good. We had a shit year but he was still good so there was no pressure.

This year we’re up and down but I think he’s struggling to lead when he’s not playing his best. Geary needs to pull him aside and give him some advice. Geary was 1/4th the player Steele is his whole career but how many times did he rally the troops and you’d see him go up to different players each stoppage and chat to them.

If we are to play them again this year I hope we play Sharman and King. Allows king to push higher up the ground if he’s struggling at times as they always like to leave May as their deep anchor.

I was thinking exactly this.

Sharman in the square, King license to roam and Higgins, Membrey, Butler, Windhager and Hill do their things.

At least you know Sharman will kick goals within the arc.

"The Dees were all over the Saints in the first half, booting nine goals before the Saints managed to stem the tide slightly, kicking three goals in the second term to enter the main break 35 points in arrears.

They kept their momentum rolling into the third term, with Max King booting two goals to give the Demons a slight scare. But a Ben Brown goal gave the Dees another spark just before the final change.

The Saints continued to fight hard in the final term, but the damage had been done."

From the Match Report on the AFL webcite....by Trent Masenhalder

I've read a lot worse reports about sides taking on the premier side in the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back