Preview Round 8 - Richmond vs Fremantle (MCG, 1.10pm, Sun 14 May)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
tell me how are we going to beat freo?

1. I'll back our backline to curtail their key forwards - Rance and Astbury should be able to handle McCarthy and Kersten ..... finding a match for Walters will be a pressing need.
2. The likes of Cotchin, Martin, Miles and Caddy will be smart enough to hone in on Sandilands, who will win three quarters of the taps. Nankervis will be more than a match - likely better than big Aaron - in general play, so we'll be working to Nanks' strength. Soldo on Nak will be a lamb to the slaughter.
Nankervis is not a CHF, he's a ruck!
3. Grigg goes to Fyfe and does a handy job.
4. Players who have been quietish (Butler, Castagna) step-up.
I'm not advocating it, but it will not surprise to see Lennon get a gig this week. Personally I would play Lloyd at the expense of Castagna.

1. I'll back our backline to curtail their key forwards - Rance and Astbury should be able to handle McCarthy and Kersten ..... finding a match for Walters will be a pressing need.
2. The likes of Cotchin, Martin, Miles and Caddy will be smart enough to hone in on Sandilands, who will win three quarters of the taps. Nankervis will be more than a match - likely better than big Aaron - in general play, so we'll be working to Nanks' strength. Soldo on Nak will be a lamb to the slaughter.
I'm not advocating it, but it will not surprise to see Lennon get a gig this week. Personally I would play Lloyd at the expense of Castagna.

Lloyd probably deserves more of a gig - but - I think they'll consider Lennon due to his marking strength and Elton, although improved, is still questionable .... although they've played Lloyd through the middle a bit in VFL too so they might like being able to do that with him in spurts as well

The club have made noises about playing both Ivan and Nank. Will be interesting if they do. Ivan's role is to ruck and fill a hole. Nank is an extra mid and that intercept marking guy. Takes away a mid. unless Elton gets dropped.

So, I'd rather see Soldo go back to the VFL, knowing that he can play AFL. But it is a step up from where he is.

Other than that, to win we need a whole of team effort. Freo is fairly decent nowadays.

Apologies for the intrusion Tigers fans.

I know we've never gotten on too well in the past - for example I remember taking my parents to their first ever AFL game at Subi in 2015 when you broke our 9-game winning streak, it was a very tough experience to say the least!

However you can't deny the incredible battles we've had over the years - we often play each other twice a year and your boys seem to match up really well over here and we seem to hold our own over your way. 2015 at Subi you break our streak, only for Mundy to get us over the line at the G by 4 points later in the year. In 2013 we had an epic sealer at Subi on a Friday night in the dying seconds, only to get pantsed by you later in the year.

It's a good rivalry. One thing I'll give your coach is he's certainly done his homework on us - he's watched all our games this year and seems to know some of our younger players better than any other coach in the comp. I get the feeling you will win this game if it's a full team contribution - we still have some guns but if you've got 22 players in form than our inexperienced players will be overwhelmed; that's what happened to us against the Eagles.

The reason we beat Melbourne, North and Essendon is because they've got a number of key players balanced with some average, role-player types that our guns Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, Brad Hill, Cam Mac etc were able to dominate. Your midfield will have to be comprehensive in their setup; whereas I fear that your defenders will give our inexperienced talls some worry (Kersten, Taberner and to a degree Cam Mac).

In any event I hope it's another heart stopper and that we may be able to build a slow, grudging respect for each other in the years to come.

Lloyd probably deserves more of a gig - but - I think they'll consider Lennon due to his marking strength and Elton, although improved, is still questionable .... although they've played Lloyd through the middle a bit in VFL too so they might like being able to do that with him in spurts as well

Lloyd is a far better mark than Lennon IMO.

Freo campaigners saying they have a young team and thats why they likely wont win ffs we just fielded the youngest side and if it weren't for the umpires #freekickbulldog we win last week :drunk:

StingBitten I have nothing against the dockers mate, both supporter bases know how it feels do to be average for a long time.

It'll be a good game this week, it will be interesting to see what tactics Lyon uses against us. I feel that if we pressure you like we have done to teams all season then it should be a tiger victory as your defense seems to be prone to turning it over.

Apologies for the intrusion Tigers fans.

I know we've never gotten on too well in the past - for example I remember taking my parents to their first ever AFL game at Subi in 2015 when you broke our 9-game winning streak, it was a very tough experience to say the least!

However you can't deny the incredible battles we've had over the years - we often play each other twice a year and your boys seem to match up really well over here and we seem to hold our own over your way. 2015 at Subi you break our streak, only for Mundy to get us over the line at the G by 4 points later in the year. In 2013 we had an epic sealer at Subi on a Friday night in the dying seconds, only to get pantsed by you later in the year.

It's a good rivalry. One thing I'll give your coach is he's certainly done his homework on us - he's watched all our games this year and seems to know some of our younger players better than any other coach in the comp. I get the feeling you will win this game if it's a full team contribution - we still have some guns but if you've got 22 players in form than our inexperienced players will be overwhelmed; that's what happened to us against the Eagles.

The reason we beat Melbourne, North and Essendon is because they've got a number of key players balanced with some average, role-player types that our guns Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, Brad Hill, Cam Mac etc were able to dominate. Your midfield will have to be comprehensive in their setup; whereas I fear that your defenders will give our inexperienced talls some worry (Kersten, Taberner and to a degree Cam Mac).

In any event I hope it's another heart stopper and that we may be able to build a slow, grudging respect for each other in the years to come.

I hope we win by 10 goals , i have no time for heart stoppers I've had enough of them already this year :)

By being in front on the scoreboard
When the final siren sounds
“By executing and finishing on our play, and rewarding ourselves by kicking goals and scoring on the scoreboard"

Freo campaigners saying they have a young team and thats why they likely wont win ffs we just fielded the youngest side and if it weren't for the umpires #freekickbulldog we win last week :drunk:

Been the theme all season, everytime carlton play they make reference to their kids at least 7-8 times each telecast, havent heard it once about us even though we are consistently putting out a younger side each and every week.

No credit for the tigers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been the theme all season, everytime carlton play they make reference to their kids at least 7-8 times each telecast, havent heard it once about us even though we are consistently putting out a younger side each and every week.

No credit for the tigers

There is a difference... our side is more balanced where as these other clubs are relying on a number of senior players pushing 30/ in their 30s. We don't have a single player in our best 22 that won't be playing football in 2 years. Makes us a much stronger proposition.

Edwards to come back through the VFL? Surely. Hasn't played a game in five weeks.
I hate Sunday games as we don't confirm team selection until tomorrow.
Hope Lennon gets a gig.
Think Soldo will come out, contrary to Hardwicks press conference.
Thought Bolton was a chance to come in at the start of the week, but upon reflection I think we will wait until dreamtime to debut him.
Out: Vlastuin, Castagna, Soldo
In: Lennon, Nankervis, Lloyd

Lennon and Lloyd to be thrown around a bit. Both to have stints in the middle, Lennon will probably play off half back at a stage as well.
Will increase our versatility and unpredictability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a difference... our side is more balanced where as these other clubs are relying on a number of senior players pushing 30/ in their 30s. We don't have a single player in our best 22 that won't be playing football in 2 years. Makes us a much stronger proposition.

correct, yet we dont get any credit for it -

i think last game we had a large number of players under 30 games - not one word about it in the media or on the telecast - but if its carlton or the bombers they all have a circle jerk over it

Don't be too disheartened, I'm pretty sure Basil still thinks you are a chance of a comeback!

2 - i disagree with because apart from Dusty & Cotch we cant win a clearance off the opposing ruckman. 3. I think they will send Lambert with him or Neale 4. These small forwards need a 4 quarter game, Jack needs to kick 5 and these small fwds need to kick 2-4

Is going to be interesting when the first Fremantle player fumbles over the boundary line!

Haere Ra

That reminds me... you watch most teams, in particular "good teams", and they never pay game changing free kicks in the last couple of minutes.

Then you look at Richmond and it's like we'll pay them even if they are 25/75 mwahahhaha

Paid a more deliberate, deliberate OOBs against Vlastuin last year that cost us the game. Pay against Short this year that may have cost us the game.

There would be plenty of others.

No credit for the tigers
I like the fact that we don't get this credit. I don't seek it to be honest. I'd rather see them perform the way they are now with a young list than let the fact that our 22 most weeks is young get to their heads. Leaves a "no excuses" perspective in their minds (even if the inexperience is a bit of an excuse) and is evident in matches most weeks.

Is going to be interesting when the first Fremantle player fumbles over the boundary line!

Haere Ra
can me and nostradumbarse be your guest this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back