Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't work to have O'Meara and Worpel rotating through the forward 50.

Occasionally Worpel can have a really good game as a high HF - with some nice delivery inside 50 -but most of the time he drifts from the game.

O'Meara is an absolute beast as an inside mid and should really rotate out on the wing, not the forward line.

Mitchell is playing the way he was accused of before his brownlow - a stat pig that's not impacting the game at all.

The forward line goes okay when the midfield is firing. The inability to lock it in is due to a lack of smalls/the lack of the midfield pushing up effectively.

the one positive is Brockman, Downie, Maginness, Jeka, Day and Reeves weren't playing - now that we have shown we can lose without them in the team maybe its time we played them to see if we can lose with them in the team - which would be a much more acceptable loss. Also I've swung around to the idea that we should trade a 27 year old to try and get another pick in the first round. Not sure who but NOT Wingard.

It might be time to give Reeves and Downie a debut game soon. If Brockman is not in the team next week, then Clarkson needs to retract from his comments about embracing a rebuild when he’s essentially picking the same players every week and getting the same result.

SYL - how’s that strategy of playing the old blokes so we’re not really sh!t going?

We are the laughing stock of the comp right now and haven’t hit rock bottom yet.
Not that’s it’s my strategy, but I’m inside your head, aren’t I.

For me, the biggest worry is McEvoy. Great servant of the club, but the ground has risen up before him quicker than anyone would have anticipated. Surely Reeves or Brooksby come in next week.
It's sad.
McEvoy is a shadow of himself.
Shiels has aged before our eyes.
Gunston can't get on the park.

This is the exclamation point on the era.

Hard to see where the turnaround comes, little value to trade out and free agents aren't going to throw themselves at us.

Hope is with Kosi, Day, Sicily and anyone just out of highschool.

Actually was pretty funny. Few sherbets and an arvo on the couch watching a comedy.

Good times.
A Rob Schneider comedy though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know and can totally understand the reasoning of bringing in the likes of Phillips, Hartigan, Patton, Hartley etc. We needed their types as we didn't have those positions covered nor had good depth. However it just makes you realise we are filled with list cloggers atm (these types and several others drafted onto the list).

We can't just play the kids cause lots of the kids aren't ready (nor good). Where you pick kids in the draft is not the be all and end all but we have had a lot of late picks as our kids and it is starting to show. We desperately need some elite young players in.

My big worry is, we are yet to hit rock bottom. We are just in no man's land atm. Will be a long couple of years.

Aslong as we make the right decisions from here and hit the draft hard, find some more Scrimshaws in smart trades and hopefully in a couple of years land a FA or 2 then we will see some blue skies ahead. Lots of patience needed in the meantime.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Sack clarkson
He's officially lost the players that we can't beat the bottom team
He's in the last year(s) of Sheedy territory now.

It doesn't make him a bad coach. He's obviously a great coach, 4 flags tells you that. You can get lucky with 1 premiership, but not with 4.

But the coach plays their part in devising a game plan that offers the best chance of success with the players you have, and the recruiting strategy embraced by the club. And it's just not working anymore. There's an element of voodoo to it all, he could switch clubs and take a not-yet-great team and turn it into a great team. But I feel that the Clarkson-Hawthorn success story has been told and there's no more to come.

TBH the state of the club still feels better than it does following Melbourne Victory.

I mean, its a low bar, but trust me, it can be a lot worse.

Honestly this fact alone may get me through the year. Was such a good win.

oh yeah I don't really mind losing, I'm very aware that we are complete shit and expect to lose every game by ten goals.

But that win fills me with a warm, warm glow. We will always have that my brothers and sisters. We could lose to North 100 times and we will still have beaten the scum, by 1 point, from a TOB goal of all things. Beautiful.

Exactly the point.. game in balance first half, and we were getting a few frees.. when the fk balance goes against us, the effect is very clear... when you're a struggling team it obviously hurts
Didn't watch the game but followed it via the app; half time I am reasonable sure the free kicks were even say around 10 each and it finishes 13 to 25 to their advantage. Was it noticeable?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back