Autopsy Round 9, 2022: Hawks chewed on by Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

1- Kids run out of petrol tickets. Our draw has been difficult for a bottom 4 side from last year. Numerous occasions we come off a shorter break than the oppo.
It’s not “fitness” it’s about being “seasoned”.

2 - as the kids tire… and they do. Their bodies don’t hold up… if you clean out 26+ year olds and I presume you mean Mitchell, JOM, Wingard, Gunston, Bruest, Shiels etc … how do you protect the kids and teach them in real time? How do you give them hope?

3- if we continue to chop 26-28’s we will be North, Essendon(6463 and counting), Carlton and GC very very quickly. You lose your soul.

4-your method will see us playing finals after another 3 full rebuilds. And praying the better sides don’t grab our DGB’s and Days as their own missing pieces… as those players go looking for success

Clubs needs souls.
Mate every game is difficult, blaming the draw is what bottom four sides do not premiership sides.

Clean out doesn't mean every 26+ player leaves never said get rid of Sicily for example but for every experienced player we use it is a missed opportunity for a kid to get games. We made the hard calls back in 04-05 with Thompson, Hay, Tallis etc and it was the right decision. You could argue we were too ruthless back then but if you want to win premiership's it needs to be done.

We need to nail the draft, the biggest concern is that we are on track this year for 3 consecutive bottom 5 finishes. We weren't even that bad during the dark Schwab early Clarkson era.

Finally still not sold on our current crop of high draft picks. Day, DGB and to lesser extent Ward have shown nice signs but for such high picks you would expect more than just nice signs. Don't get me wrong I hope they make it, but if they don't then we'll be down the ladder for sustained period and we need to make sure that doesn't happen.

Huh? We have KPFs coming out of our proverbials: Lewis, Kosi, Gunner, Jeka, Callow. Not sure where you’re pulling that notion from.
Are they good enough ?? Are Jeka, Callow, Kosi going to be good enough in the class of Ruff, Buddy etc when we next challenge ?? The HFC does NOT just be competitive, it WINS it.

Not sure why everyone acts like we have no KPP.
  • Frost has been fantastic at full back all season despite the odd melt down
  • Sicily is pretty much the AA CHB so far the season
  • DGB barely played - give him a chance- most likely as a 3rd tall defender - has shown little in patches but will take time
  • Kosi & Lewis teaming up beautifully as the key forwards with Callow and Jeka waiting in the wings

Rucks have been decimated but once Big boy and Reeves return we’ll be in great shape - Lynch goes back to the 2’s and we find another ruck to develop in the MSD or in the offseason..

Midfield is the worry atm- trade who we can so we can load up on highest draft picks possible targeting classy mids and look to find another Newcombe in the MSD/at the National draft…

If we think Lewis and Kosi will be our key forwards I like to see that club try Jeka and callow down back as we still need a CHB and FB as Sicily is more a intercepting defender like DGB.

1- Kids run out of petrol tickets. Our draw has been difficult for a bottom 4 side from last year. Numerous occasions we come off a shorter break than the oppo.
It’s not “fitness” it’s about being “seasoned”.

2 - as the kids tire… and they do. Their bodies don’t hold up… if you clean out 26+ year olds and I presume you mean Mitchell, JOM, Wingard, Gunston, Bruest, Shiels etc … how do you protect the kids and teach them in real time? How do you give them hope?

3- if we continue to chop 26-28’s we will be North, Essendon(6463 and counting), Carlton and GC very very quickly. You lose your soul.

4-your method will see us playing finals after another 3 full rebuilds. And praying the better sides don’t grab our DGB’s and Days as their own missing pieces… as those players go looking for success

Clubs needs souls.
Agree, we need to manage the List, but we have to try to bring in blokes who are going to provide seasoned experience. Yes, the younger blokes will be overwhelmed physically, but at this moment it is the younger blokes not the older blokes you mention, that are performing. Due to how we have managed our List in recent years we are forced to consider to trading experience in order to improve the overall quality of the List. It is a conundrum, but we have to improve the List. It is critical.

Love the way Chad speaks about us. He’s spot on.

Awesome stuff.

Really lifted when put in the guts and needs to be in there more often pending fitness.

Don't really have many negative thoughts after that to be honest. Worps needs a spell as he's clearly out of sorts. A shadow of his former self which seems a weird thing to say about a player in his early 20's.

Duke is just an amazing find and just needs to build his tank before he'll be an elite mid.

Thought Jags, Punk, Sicily, Nash, Kosi, Lynch, Impey, Lewis and Day were very good.

Don't understand the comments re DGB. Played on one of the greats and had a few poor moments but it's to be expected at this stage. Weitering and Rance struggled early on also. Still did some good things. The way Realist reacted you would think Riewoldt kicked 10.

Hope Butler gets another crack and McDonald was fantastic after coming on (we have a serious player here.)

Agree, we need to manage the List, but we have to try to bring in blokes who are going to provide seasoned experience. Yes, the younger blokes will be overwhelmed physically, but at this moment it is the younger blokes not the older blokes you mention, that are performing. Due to how we have managed our List in recent years we are forced to consider to trading experience in order to improve the overall quality of the List. It is a conundrum, but we have to improve the List. It is critical.

Maybe trade our the expensive for picks then get players. Then get role players with experience with a couple of years left in them like delisted FA agents like we did with Henderson.

Defenders - their job was made hard with the lack of pressure coming out of the midfield.

DGB , I thought he was very good (13 games) playing on an experienced forward in Crywoldt (300+ games)
Crywoldt got early free which was questionabl. DGB often left his man trying to help out his teammates that occasionally didn’t come off. Took the game on late in last quarter that could’ve been another forward thrust (and who knows) which unfortunately didn’t come off. Rather he did what he did than slow momentum down.

Sicily - this guy is a great footballer but his laconic style really twists my knickers. Far too casual sometimes that results in turnovers. Needs to return to that ‘fire in the belly’ type of player he used to be. As captain I expect more from him, and in turn he should demand more from those around him.

Scrimshaw - lowered his colors the last few weeks but there’s no questioning his application , it’s his decision making that is letting him down.

Impey - had good patches but like his teammates, his decision making let the team down.

Day - we know he isn’t 100% but this kid doesn’t know the word ‘give up’ . I’m loading up on Day Stocks.
(please limit this kids midfield time , don’t want him burning himself out)

Morrison - have been critical of him many times before and not a lot has changed for mine. His disposals are left wanting and his pressure is minimal. What’s his actual position/role ? Not sure ? Just not seeing it with him - would love to be wrong.

FORWARDS - Thank fcuk Lewis is back. Gunston going down was not ideal as he looked to be ‘switched on’ today.
Kosi works hard, has a good set of hands and is a fairly accurate kick. Plus he crashes packs (just ask Lewis)
Servicable in the ruck as a chop out. Just seems to go missing longer than he should (maybe due to midfielders ?)
Breust is also guilty of going missing but makes most of his limited opportunities.
Wingard had an average game. Apart from a small cameo in the midfield in the last , he had a poor day.
Our delivery into the forward line was poor. Played into Tiggers hands far too much - needed to be more composed & smarter.
(Hitting post twice early hurt too)

MIDFIELDERS - Newcombe started like a house on fire but faded in the second half. Tiggers put a lot of work into nullifying him and it worked for them. (News will be better for it). His composure , for someone so young, is truly amazing. (20 yrs old and 16 AFL games - let that sink in). If this kid builds his fitness tank , he will be scary good.

O’Meara showed glimpses. Nash was good. Moore was quieter than normal. Worpel is struggling to state the obvious (needs to lose his ‘don’t argue’ and focus on just playing pure footy)
Lynch was very good despite rucking against two seasoned ruckman. Should have had two goals to goals to his name if it wasn’t for some selfish forward craft by a nameless player). Lynch will be more dominant on Reeves return.

UMPIRES - love these well respected servants of our once great game

Sigh, relax there turbo.

And you be you Mr cheap seat and continue to pee all over him. I won’t. I’d much prefer to take on keyboard warrior nobodies that offer nothing but potting blokes.
I wasn't peeing all over him. He had a poor game, that was all I said.
And you never replied to who selects our midfield and who organises our midfield rotations?

And you tell me why only Gunston, McDonald and Butler has less game time minutes than him today?

Sorry, but I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.
Don’t just fling your crap.

Please point out where I was flinging crap. Dont worry, I'll wait....

You clearly have some issues dealing with people politely dude, I guess some of us get more emotional after a loss than others so I'll put it down to that.

I really hope Worpel finds some touch and I am all for keeping him in the side to do that.

We are on the same side mate, perhaps you need to cool your jets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they good enough ?? Are Jeka, Callow, Kosi going to be good enough in the class of Ruff, Buddy etc when we next challenge ?? The HFC does NOT just be competitive, it WINS it.

They are what we have. Lewis will make it, has all the tools to be a Hawkins. Jeka/Kosi are still so young.

Im reading plenty of moaning about what we need but not how we get it.

the biggest concern is that we are on track this year for 3 consecutive bottom 5 finishes. We weren't even that bad during the dark Schwab early Clarkson era.

I'd say we were a good deal worse during 2004 and 2005 when we came second and third bottom. Yes we were not bottom 5 the next year in 2006 , but only just - we were bottom 6. In those dark years we were also on the end of a LOT more and a lot larger thumpings than we've been given in the last 3 years.

The newk fadeout was simply a product of how he wins ball. He doesn't win a high rate of CP's so when we were playing our style in Q1 he was just running around racking them up. When the momentum swung and we couldn't get first hands to it or create turnovers then his supply dried up. For as much as the commentators talk about him as some tackling machine, he really plays predominately as an outside mid who gains massive territory. They could mention the fact he averages almost 500m plus a game... But no, he is just a bloke who tackles. 🤦

The most glaring need on the list for mine are mids with high contested possession win rates. That's what I hope we draft this year, get that right, then the rest of our game can flow.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll take it on board and keep track of your positivity in future.
I’m not saying he’s a bust, yet and I’m not. But when you pick a player at 6 you would expect to see something special. The truth hurts, but he’s shown very little. He seems to have no athleticism, is slow and looks lost out there. More like a speculative pick in the 40s than a top 10.
I was in seat 1A of the DGB bandwagon after his first game but he has been underwhelming since.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I've seen enough to suggest we persist with DGB. The kid has a crack, and shows real promise. He will be a good player for us.

I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now he's had multiple WOG's and has been terrible bar one game. He's clearly regressed three years in a row.

Unfortunately one dimensional midfielders that are averaged paced, and are poor kicks, don't last too long.
I feel Worps has bulked up a bit to much, an it impacts his ability to get to the contest.

Given his not fast even at his best, he needs to trim down a little.

Then i feel he will find his touch again.

Am I the only one who is pretty positive after today?

I want to see development and we saw it today. We keep on blowing teams away early (best 1st half team in the comp) but then run out of tickets and get run over.

This is something that can be fixed and will be fixed with experience and time.

I dont want to finish 9th, I would prefer we finish 16th if we are not winning the flag. Wins are great for development but so are losses where we are in front and on top early. These games are all fantastic learning experiences.

I am genuinely optimistic about pushing for finals next year and making a charge for the flag in 2024 while Gunston and Bruest are still playing. Come at me.
Ur dreamin. I reckon it'll take more years than that.

We were getting smashed in there even when Reeves was there apart from the game where he was injured early
The hit-out counter this afternoon was 60 Richmond vs 22 Hawthorn. That is a ridiculous difference. Reeves is rated average for both hit-outs and hit-outs to advantage. He is still learning the trade but he is able to square a contest, which Lynch can't do. Lynch does some good work as a link-man and as a marking target in the forward 50 but he has no ruck craft. Neither does Kosi.

If Essendon can pick up 2 Metre Peter for a bag of twisties and this Nick Martin kid from the WAFL, I sure hope our club is looking and exploring every option around the country to pick up quality players .
I have been thinking about this a fair bit this year. We really should have had a go at 2mp. Exactly what we needed and in the right age bracket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9, 2022: Hawks chewed on by Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back