Autopsy Round 9, 2022: Hawks chewed on by Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they good enough ?? Are Jeka, Callow, Kosi going to be good enough in the class of Ruff, Buddy etc when we next challenge ?? The HFC does NOT just be competitive, it WINS it.
Lewis is averaging 3 goals a game and Kosi is averaging 2.2 while playing a fair few minutes as a 2nd ruck in a couple games.

They are doing exceptionally well as key forwards.

I was thinking the same you can't on one hand say a side is shite while also pumping up a sides credentials for beating said side.
We’re apparently a bottom 4 side, but the upshot of beating us is that you’re in line to be a top 4 side. Buckley was saying as much about Richmond tonight on fox.

It’s a weird little paradox that one.

Are they good enough ?? Are Jeka, Callow, Kosi going to be good enough in the class of Ruff, Buddy etc when we next challenge ?? The HFC does NOT just be competitive, it WINS it.
We don't need a forward to equal out 3-peat side, Geelong dominated the compitition without a decent forwardline and Melbourne are doing the same now.

He’s been injured.
He was crook all week.
The heat should be on the coaches and club for putting him in this position.
Play Sheils. Play Howe. Get the pressure off him before we ruin him.
I do not see the point us playing injured or sick players when we are not final contenders in 2022. What are our Hawks thinking??

We don't need a forward to equal out 3-peat side, Geelong dominated the compitition without a decent forwardline and Melbourne are doing the same now.
No but both of those midfields at their peak leave our current midfield in the dust.

I think we will need a strong forward line to make up for our midfield weaknesses. Even as our midfield improves.

Was chatting to my father last night , 65 year Richmond supporter (dont hold that against him 🙂 )and is always very fair and objective .

He thought Richmond had their strongest side in for around 12 months and look in form .

He did go through all of our players but feels we arent that far away from having a very good side heading up the ladder quickly.
He felt next season was a realistic aim for finals ( probably a bit ott !)

He did mention how good he thinks Day/Macdonald are and thinks DGB will be a gun player.
He did say it took Dylan Grimes about 50 games for it to click and said DBG looks more far more talented.
Likes the Lewis/Kosi combo , he thought it looked dangerous .

Thought CJ and Reeves will improve us even further .

A Brad Sewell type would be transformative for our team. Get two and we'd be laughing.

I feel like the run-ons against us coincide with teams picking off our 45 degree change of directions. It’s hard to tell why that is, but was hoping with Lewis back we’d straighten up a little more - especially the ones from CHB that go to a contest on the wing (but nowhere near the boundary).

CJ back will help, as his run will break the line and get the ball over the back, which seems to be one of the main aims.

Was chatting to my father last night , 65 year Richmond supporter (dont hold that against him 🙂 )and is always very fair and objective .

He thought Richmond had their strongest side in for around 12 months and look in form .

He did go through all of our players but feels we arent that far away from having a very good side heading up the ladder quickly.
He felt next season was a realistic aim for finals ( probably a bit ott !)

He did mention how good he thinks Day/Macdonald are and thinks DGB will be a gun player.
He did say it took Dylan Grimes about 50 games for it to click and said DBG looks more far more talented.

Likes the Lewis/Kosi combo , he thought it looked dangerous .

Thought CJ and Reeves will improve us even further .
This is something we need plastered all over this board at the minute. DGB is going to be copping far more than he deserves whilst we hemorrhage i50s to the other team, and still hasn't played 15 games, and playing on some very big boys.

Surely we know now that these so called tall forwards are going to be good enough. I don’t think so. We need some class. Real class. We have been incredibly fortunate with Lewis.
Melbourne won a flag with Brown and McDonald and look like they could go back to back.

Sure yesterday towards the end the kid stuffed up a kick (but trying to do the right thing mind you) but then soon after followed up and put in a timely lunging push on a Tigers player kicking at goal. I love DGB’s character, fight and never give up attitude. I predict in the future this guy in a GF or an important final will do an important smother, lunge or act that will save us a game. It’s written all over him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hit-out counter this afternoon was 60 Richmond vs 22 Hawthorn. That is a ridiculous difference. Reeves is rated average for both hit-outs and hit-outs to advantage. He is still learning the trade but he is able to square a contest, which Lynch can't do. Lynch does some good work as a link-man and as a marking target in the forward 50 but he has no ruck craft. Neither does Kosi.
Just on the ruck contests. There were two free kicks given against us for blocking. One was where the Richmond ruck jumped knee first into Lynch and the other was where Kosi jumped knee first exactly the same as the Richmond ruck against Lynch. Had me stumped.

Do they play blocking off the ball but give the kick to the ruck?

Sure yesterday towards the end the kid stuffed up a kick (but trying to do the right thing mind you) but then soon after followed up and put in a timely lunging push on a Tigers player kicking at goal. I love DGB’s character, fight and never give up attitude. I predict in the future this guy in a GF or an important final will do an important smother, lunge or act that will save us a game. It’s written all over him!
This was right in front of me and was an amazing piece of play to leave his player, intercept and then just stream forward. He had two options short he was going for but given the time of game probably should have gone longer. Not sure why he is getting potted for going for it.

Denver just needs to make sure he picks and chooses when to go third man up a bit more wisely. I think it's a massive step up in his development that he got the job on Riewoldt rather than the resting ruck. We're seeing some interesting moves in our lineup now and i reckon it's exciting.

Does anyone else think that our forward pressure is woeful though? I can't find many metrics for this but we seem to find it really hard to lock it in our f50.

This was right in front of me and was an amazing piece of play to leave his player, intercept and then just stream forward. He had two options short he was going for but given the time of game probably should have gone longer. Not sure why he is getting potted for going for it.
Was the right play, no doubt. In time it will come off.

Was the right play, no doubt. In time it will come off.
"I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Michael Jordan

Just on the ruck contests. There were two free kicks given against us for blocking. One was where the Richmond ruck jumped knee first into Lynch and the other was where Kosi jumped knee first exactly the same as the Richmond ruck against Lynch. Had me stumped.

Do they play blocking off the ball but give the kick to the ruck?
They make it up as they go along, their all idiots this year

Does anyone else think that our forward pressure is woeful though? I can't find many metrics for this but we seem to find it really hard to lock it in our f50.
It’s not great. It’s why Brockman had a spot to make his own and I think we’ll ask about Bobby Hill again at trade time. We need a good small who pressures when the ball hits the deck.

8 tackles from 45 inside 50’s isn’t going to win us enough ball back.

4BE583D9-B947-439C-9CFE-BD9AE93216C0.jpeg

Where does all this “he wants out” stuff come from?
Cos his family barracked for Geelong?
I know he is very very highly rated for his off field driving of standards and leadership.
He doesn’t want out.
Or is it just the hawks “faithful” that have given up on him after a poor start to this year and like we did to Joey K… we want just make quick judgement and turf him?
I'm not sure that he wants out but there has been some news on here (or another site)that Geelong are pretty keen (I know he doesnt suit their age demographic)
If he is thought so highly of in the club why play him when injured. It's putting even more pressure on him

Need to be patient with our midfield build. Mitch and the club have shown us that it’s well on the way. Only 12mths ago we didn’t have Newk, Ward, Ronald, Bramble or Nash (in the sense of not playing him in the guts). Mitchell is fast tracking their development individually and as a group. Add in another couple of high end draft picks this year …….. very optimistic that we will have this part of the ground covered for the years ahead. Be prepared for a bumpy ride but gee I am looking forward to Newk/Ward/Ronald starting at most centre bounces next year and beyond. Frustrating watching losses like yesterday but need to look into it more deeply with plenty of optimism!

There are so many promising green shoots in the team.
Kosi and Lewis up forward just keep kicking goals. The attacking game plan is so good for their development. We say buddy and rough develop into elite players off aggressive game plans in 2005-2008. These guys are learning that too. Kosi an absolute wrecking ball.

Newcombe and McDonald and Moore in the midfield. Moore has been a bit quieter since his 30 possession game but he has tenacity and awesome skills. Ward is also seriously good. Just get games into these guys and wear the pain along the way.

The criticism of DGB is insane. He's making a lot of mistakes but they're generally good mistakes. Day, Scrimshaw and Bramble off the backline (And CJ) and we've got genuine emerging talent on every line.

once we get Newcombe, Ward and CMac to be our starting 3 inside mids (they are not ready for the responsibility yet) i think our fortunes will improve in the middle, just have to be a bit patient and if we can add another 1-2 for depth then all the better, obviously Wingard, Nash and others can rotate through there ect.

as for our midfield now, we're still reliant on JOM, TOM and Wingard to steady the ship, Newcombe has come on in leaps and bounds, Ward has shown a lot, not just with footy in hand and CMac is starting to show why he was one of the dominant mids for Dandenong last year, it just so happens he can also play forward while his body develops.

but in saying that, its the first time in years we are developing good young mids to take over in the future, probably the last time we did this was when Sam Mitchell was picked up from Box Hill in 2001 and Lewis was drafted in that 2004 haul, those 2 carried our midfield from 2006/07 onwards pretty much with guidance from Crawf, Sewell and Vanders (also cameos from Hodge and also Burgoyne post 2010 onwards), its painful now, but it could be better soon if things go well for us?
This is such a good point.

I don’t think the tigers are going to worry any of the top sides

Listening to commentary some weeks, you would think a win against the hawks is the kickstart a team needs to play finals footy.

Nothing about todays game leaves me thinking the tigers are back - their last 3 games have been eagles, pies and hawks. Whoopee do
And they have conceded heavily the past 2 weeks. If we had any sort of ascendancy in the centre square we would have probably won. We scored quite easily when we got it in there. 24 scoring shots from 47 entries is good going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9, 2022: Hawks chewed on by Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back