Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

if we win on Friday, im going to put some money on us to make the Grand Final.
Carlton beat Port Adelaide in 2007. They played in the Grand Final.

Screw logic.

Blue boys is right. Apparently they will be the changes, with White to come in for Thornton if he passes the fitness test.

Then let's hope White gets up.
Thornton just doesn't seem to fit with the current set-up.
He had a good understanding with Jamo and Bower, but this new baclkine seems to have him puzzled.

Sounding as though Hendo and Tuohy may have to wait a little longer.

Why the hell cannot I not book tickets using my membership? Surely the entire stadium can't be sold out? I am selecting best available, so happy to pay extra but nothing comes up. I have tried different areas, even tried without membership and cant get anything!

But seriously, why the hell is this game at the Dome? We would get 60,000 plus at the MCG - No wonder Collingwood smash the crowd records, we play big games like this and Hawks at the freakin dome! Not smart

good measuring stick game again ala collingwood. also if you're that way inclined, a game where the team could earn the respect you crave from non-carlton posters on big footy.

i think people are a little more confident vs. geelong because essentially we have nothing to lose. the game isn't ours for the taking like vs saints. there's a few match-ups we know we've won in the past. that, and the loss we had to them last year has been erased from our minds.

i hope armfield gets a full game in a defensive role rather than being a half-arsed midfield sub. don't think he's ready for full time midfield duty (honestly i'm not sure why he was moved out of defense, maybe to fit others in on top of all the other stories about asking to play midfield).

will be great not having to worry about ablett or who ling will shut out. put on the kicking boots.

Why the hell cannot I not book tickets using my membership? Surely the entire stadium can't be sold out? I am selecting best available, so happy to pay extra but nothing comes up. I have tried different areas, even tried without membership and cant get anything!

But seriously, why the hell is this game at the Dome? We would get 60,000 plus at the MCG - No wonder Collingwood smash the crowd records, we play big games like this and Hawks at the freakin dome! Not smart

it doesn't have a CAPTCHA thingo does it?

Hey all,
I've been a follower of this site for a long time, it has taken me until now to sign up. Really looking forward to seeing Brocky running (plodding) around on Friday night, wouldn't mind seeing AJ make way for Laidler to. Laidler is better defensively and I think he is less likely to turn the ball over the in the back half which could be crucial, it's a no brainer IMO. If the cats decide to rest Ottens we could really see Warnock totally dominate the ruck, therefore can't really see the cats winning the midfield battle as they are pretty evenly matched. The game for us will be won or lost in the first quarter, we know the cats are going to be bloody pumped up so providing we can stick with them at the start I can really see us giving them some trouble in the second half.
Warnock/Murphy combo to be the talk of the town on monday, blues by 15pts :thumbsu:

Hey all,
I've been a follower of this site for a long time, it has taken me until now to sign up. Really looking forward to seeing Brocky running (plodding) around on Friday night, wouldn't mind seeing AJ make way for Laidler to. Laidler is better defensively and I think he is less likely to turn the ball over the in the back half which could be crucial, it's a no brainer IMO. If the cats decide to rest Ottens we could really see Warnock totally dominate the ruck, therefore can't really see the cats winning the midfield battle as they are pretty evenly matched. The game for us will be won or lost in the first quarter, we know the cats are going to be bloody pumped up so providing we can stick with them at the start I can really see us giving them some trouble in the second half.
Warnock/Murphy combo to be the talk of the town on monday, blues by 15pts :thumbsu:
Welcome mate!

Blue and Silver, top preview!

Anyone else thinking we could see Setanta used again in defence? Seemed to work in the final few minutes last week where he played as the loose man and obviously took that mark. If he made someone accountable, but didn't exactly play as that 100% lockdown type defender, he could make a fist of it back there. Perhaps a Maxwell type, third man up role? He certainly has the height to beat most defenders one on one, strength also not a worry.

I'm looking for a second opinion on that, BickyOgre. No offence. :)

The AFL negotiated a new deal for the clubs last year. .. from memory it might have been an extra million dollars a year or $100,000 per match. .. However before that the deal wasn't very pretty. .. We have to get ~40k to a game just to break even I think. .. While North only needs to get ~30k to break even. ..

A couple of articles I found to give you an idea (still looking for the AFL announcement one though)

Arocca on Docklands Deal

"But it just crystallises how painful this is at the moment ... they (Carlton) pull 42,000 people and get a cheque for 17 grand [$17,000]. That's disgraceful.

Arocca on Docklands Deal

Bulldogs back new stadium deals

PRESIDENT David Smorgon has backed the AFL to get his Western Bulldogs a better stadium deal after they made just $320,000 from eight home games at Telstra Dome in 2008.

Even North Melbourne made more at $600,000, which just happens to be the amount Geelong routinely rakes in from a single home game at Skilled Stadium.

Bulldogs back new stadium deals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found it. ..

New Docklands Deal

"When you consider it's $100,000 a game, the [tenant] clubs know that there'll be at least $1.1 million – before any bonus payments – that will be going to them for 11-odd games," he said

New Docklands Deal

Trouble is that in making this deal the AFL gave up on rebuilding Princes Park as a 3rd 'boutique' stadium for smaller drawing matches. .. A move that would have turned a healthy profit for the Blues. ..

Cheers, Ceramicflyingtargetsmashedtopiecesbyshotgunpelletsforlaughs. :thumbsu:

No probs mate. .. and thanks to Wookie for finding the article, as well (was only seconds apart) :)

Note, MCG signed up to the same (extra $100,000 a game) deal earlier in the same month. ..

The club is not going to trade Bower. I can 100% guaratee you that unless Bower requests a trade back home, he will be a Blue next year.

Bib, why do I get the impression that the club are trying to fast track Watson as our preferred CHB which will allow us to let Bower go back to his preferred role of 3rd tall in our backline?

I have said in other posts that the majority of Bowers issues comes from the fact that we have been trying to use him as a KPD instead of the rebounding tall that he is and by trying to build him up in the gym, we have put stress on the muscles in his legs and we are getting a lot of soft tissue damage.

Once Watson comes into the side as the preferred CHB, we will see Emu drop a lot of bulk and get back to being the rebounding defender we all want him to be as well as dropping in front of Watson to help out there.

I think that Watson will sit out this match and might come in for the next couple of matches for some more game time.

Bib, why do I get the impression that the club are trying to fast track Watson as our preferred CHB which will allow us to let Bower go back to his preferred role of 3rd tall in our backline?

I have said in other posts that the majority of Bowers issues comes from the fact that we have been trying to use him as a KPD instead of the rebounding tall that he is and by trying to build him up in the gym, we have put stress on the muscles in his legs and we are getting a lot of soft tissue damage.

Once Watson comes into the side as the preferred CHB, we will see Emu drop a lot of bulk and get back to being the rebounding defender we all want him to be as well as dropping in front of Watson to help out there.

I think that Watson will sit out this match and might come in for the next couple of matches for some more game time.
Agreed. He will come in for some of the 'easier' contests. He doesn't really deserve an elevation this week anyway.

Anyone else thinking we could see Setanta used again in defence?

There may be but we'd be best served letting go of that idea.
Setanta's unpredictability does not suit the back-line model we're working towards.

Once we slot in our CHB, our back-line will make perfect sense.
O'hAilpin does not work towards perfect sense.

There may be but we'd be best served letting go of that idea.
Setanta's unpredictability does not suit the back-line model we're working towards.

Once we slot in our CHB, our back-line will make perfect sense.
O'hAilpin does not work towards perfect sense.

O'hAilpin is scary enough when he has the ball in our forwardline. My heart has copped enough of a beating in the close matches this year without having the big Setant trying to work the ball out of defence!

O'hAilpin is scary enough when he has the ball in our forwardline. My heart has copped enough of a beating in the close matches this year without having the big Setant trying to work the ball out of defence!

Bet you enjoyed his Leo Barry effort against the Saints but, Subber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back