Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd love Judd vs. Selwood....Juddy took the ascendancy last time that happened

Yep, and that was when Geelong had to move Ling onto him.
The player that we must put the clamps on is Scarlett. He won't play on Waite, i'd say Taylor gets that job.

So who goes to Walker - Lonergan or Scarlett. Probably Lonergan so Scarlett can do what he likes down back. We just have to find someone who can do what Robbo did on Fletcher last year.

Carlton by 8 points.

Judd BOG

Id go:

- Robbo to Enright
- Carrazzo to Chapman
- Gibbs to Bartel
- Russell to Stevie J
- Judd vs Selwood head to head

Liking Duigan taking Chappy if he stays forward.

Gibbs on Bartel is good.
Really worries me this Bartel fellow.

Russell to SJ is almost a certainty.

I like Bib's match-ups.

When you consider where we are between the last two games we have played, I think we line up quite favourably...

However, Chris(/Brad) Scott has really got this team firing, and they look like a rejuvenated outfit, free of the politics and speculation that may have troubled them last year.

Russell bouncing back from a relatively poor game last week is a must, if we are to get anywhere near the 4 points.

The two most pivotal match-ups for mine are exploiting their inconsistent talls.

Duigan to Hawkins. The accountable O'hAilpin to Scarlett if not replaced.

I just don't see McCarthy becoming as slippery as Bower.
He comes across more straight up and down type player.
Pretty skinny lad also at 84
kgs. on a 196cm. frame but I'm sure that will be built upon over the next 12 months.

McCarthy is very athletic and from what I've seen he has a touch of Bower about him but I think he has a bigger frame to build on. Loves a rebound from defensive 50.

If he can produce results in the short-term it would allow Watson to seamlessly step into the CHB role in a few years time...

Let's see if Bower can become a vital part of our KPD posts in the interim, and help us along to a Top 4 spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carrazzo >> Bartel
Ellard >> Selwood

???

Good call on Bartel. .. Carrots can go with him on the lead and stop him kicking those valuable goals. ..

I think McLean, Judd and Murphy just go head to head with Selwood and co to get the footy first. ..

If Laidler doesn't pull up I think Mclean for curnow might be the only change, Thornton will probably be given the task on one of the tall forwards (perhaps Hawkins).

We should try and create some dash on both ends of the field (Garlett+Betts) in the forward half, (Armfield+Yarran) in the back.

Joseph could possibly be dropped but for who i don't know?

I see a lot of people posting suggestions on which players should match up on who, and hopefully limit some of Geelongs stars impact on the game.

But at the same I hope we go out with our attacking fast paced style of play & make them worry about us as well.

I remember when we defeated them last year we were putting a lot of pressure on them with our run and carry (walkers run of Hawkins:thumbsu:).

It seemed we were more focused on attacking & rebounding with confidence, then trying to negate there players. once this happened Geelong started to chase us, loosing focus on there structures and the way they play.

Id go:

- Robbo to Enright
- Carrazzo to Chapman
- Gibbs to Bartel
- Russell to Stevie J

Prefer:

- Gibbs to Enright
- Duigan to Chapman
- Carrazzo to Bartel
- Russell to Stevie J

Yarran to Menzal
Jammo to Pods (kill him on the rebound)
Thornton to Hawkins (would have liked White/Hendo for the job)

Cannot tag Selwood, anyone trying to shut him down will just mean more free kicks to his shoulder shrug knee buckle technique. .. Just gotta beat him to the ball. ..

Thinking they'll go..

Lonergan to O'hAilpin
Taylor to Waite
Scarlett to Walker

My guess would be

Scarlett vs Betts
Hunt vs Garlett
Lonergan vs Setanta
Taylor - Waite
Mackie - Walker

If Scarlett goes to waite, would switch Eddie for Robbo in the middle, and get Robbo to play a defensive role. Under the impression that Scarlett would slaughter Eddie, especially if he plays as a tall.

My guess would be

Scarlett vs Betts
Hunt vs Garlett
Lonergan vs Setanta
Taylor - Waite
Mackie - Walker

If Scarlett goes to waite, would switch Eddie for Robbo in the middle, and get Robbo to play a defensive role. Under the impression that Scarlett would slaughter Eddie, especially if he plays as a tall.

Scarlet to Betts would be a good move for Geelong. .. Would kill him in the air and able to go with him on the ground. .. However they would risk Eddie been near by to lay a defensive tackle whenever Scarlett tries to link up. ..

Scarlet to Betts would be a good move for Geelong. .. Would kill him in the air and able to go with him on the ground. .. However they would risk Eddie been near by to lay a defensive tackle whenever Scarlett tries to link up. ..

Very, very unlikely. Much more likely to be picked up by Enright or Hunt.
Scarlett will most likely play on whomever Ratten puts on him as a defensive forward, that then frees Enright up to be the creative HB. Or Mackie....or Milburn.
We really don't stick to one on ones that long except for KPDs, and they swap all the time too.
I think Waite will be the player we are most concerned with. Taylor will get him early and try to force him wide and deep onto the wing.

My guess would be

Scarlett vs Betts
Hunt vs Garlett
Lonergan vs Setanta
Taylor - Waite
Mackie - Walker

They wont kid themselves, Walker would destroy the already out of form Mackie. Betts and Garlett match ups would trouble them too. Hunt will probably go to Garlett as you said if Wojak doesn't play and they'll try to get Enright on Betts

Very, very unlikely. Much more likely to be picked up by Enright or Hunt.
Scarlett will most likely play on whomever Ratten puts on him as a defensive forward, that then frees Enright up to be the creative HB. Or Mackie....or Milburn.
We really don't stick to one on ones that long except for KPDs, and they swap all the time too.
I think Waite will be the player we are most concerned with. Taylor will get him early and try to force him wide and deep onto the wing.

Sounds very much like Geelong just make the decisions and we run around reacting to them like amateur schoolboys. Here's the bad news, witsend...

http://http//www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/move-to-the-g-a-move-too-far-20110516-1epwo.htmlhttp://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/move-to-the-g-a-move-too-far-20110516-1epwo.html

'Given the capacity … we do believe any other option could be considered and is in the best interests of all football supporters.'' SO SAID then AFL football operations boss Ian Collins in 1996 in explaining the league's decision to shift the round-eight match between Carlton and Geelong from Princes Park to the MCG, where it attracted around 68,000 people.
The teams will face similar capacity constraints this Friday night for their top-four showdown at Etihad Stadium. Collins now has different priorities, being at the helm at Etihad Stadium, but in fairness to him, there does not appear to be any push from any other stakeholders for the match to be shifted from the undercover venue.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/move-to-the-g-a-move-too-far-20110516-1epwo.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back