Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

God they're nuffies...

He is a good prospect but he is still a fair way off IMO. Having said that he's certainly one to watch and after a few more performances like the one last week then he could knock down the door. I would think next year would be more his go.

Cachia is a very good prospect needs another year to develop. Brock McLean in the side for Geelong. Shame about Curnow though. :(

Cachia is a very good prospect needs another year to develop. Brock McLean in the side for Geelong. Shame about Curnow though. :(

Was Cachia a bit unlucky that Curnow did so well pre-season? He might have got the call up otherwise and it could be Cachia that we were excited about. .. Just seems like both players are taking grasp of their rookie opportunities and Curnow is just a little ahead (which makes sense with the extra years). ..

Was Cachia a bit unlucky that Curnow did so well pre-season? He might have got the call up otherwise and it could be Cachia that we were excited about. .. Just seems like both players are taking grasp of their rookie opportunities and Curnow is just a little ahead (which makes sense with the extra years). ..

He needs time to develop more in the Ants. I think Ellard would have been ahead of him aswell. But I loved that tackle against that mop head richmond player. Fantastic stuff to watch! :thumbsu:

He needs time to develop more in the Ants. I think Ellard would have been ahead of him aswell. But I loved that tackle against that mop head richmond player. Fantastic stuff to watch! :thumbsu:

If Cachia keeps improving, he could well move in front of Ellard within a year or so. Similar speed, similar skillset, but Cachia can impose himself more with his size and attitude. Will be interesting to watch his development.

INs: McLean, White*, Laidler*
OUTs: Curnow, Thornton, Joseph

*If fit, otherwise Henderson and Thornton stays in. .. Bringing in Watson for Geelong would be mean unless he earns it this week. ..

My team list for Geelong:

FB: Russell :: Jamison :: Duigan
HB: Yarran :: White :: Laidler
Ce: Scotland :: McLean :: Simpson
HF: Garlett :: Waite :: Gibbs
FF: Walker :: O'hAilpin :: Betts
Ru: Warnock :: Judd :: Murphy

Be: Robinson :: Carrazzo :: Armfield
Sub: Ellard

Go head to head with their mids and instruct McLean to get to the ball ahead of Selwood. .. Carrots can rotate on to pick up Chappy if he starts looking dangerous. .. Armfield to Stokes if he gets it early. .. Gibbs as the defensive forward, I liked him early on in the Saints game and his opponent cannot escape him by moving anywhere else. ..

Henderson for White - If he doesn't get fit over the break, in which case Ellard might make way for Thornton as the sub. ..

Reason Curnow cam in was because Ellard was suspended and McLean was not fit. .. I don't doubt he needs more time, just wondering the hypothetical is all. ..

I have been saying this for two years. Eddie betts must be told that if he takes a mark inside 50 he is allowed to look for 2 seconds to make a pass and after that he has to go into the goal kicking routine. He is not alllowed to llok anywhere else apart from his target behind the goal. It is not that hard seriously how a professional sportsman cannot figure out iof you are looking around when you are walking in to kick a goal your focus is not on the skill and the results will be poor. Just focus and the results will come.

About 40m sees Eddie out. Have seen him kick goals from the paint-line, but very rarely. Agree with you about eyes darting everywhere when kicking at goal.

Still think we need one more tall down back. We all saw against Adelaide that Laidler struggles against bigger bodies, so we need to account for that against Geelong should J-Pod, Mooney and Hawkins all play forward. Obviously Ottens can go down there as well.

For that reason, i'd keep Thornton in. He's also shown some good form up forward for the Bullants, so we could throw him forward if needed.

McLean comes in for Curnow. Pretty obvious

So for me at this stage, i'd make 3 changes

Ins: McLean, White, Laidler
Outs: Curnow, Joseph, Ellard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think we need one more tall down back. We all saw against Adelaide that Laidler struggles against bigger bodies, so we need to account for that against Geelong should J-Pod, Mooney and Hawkins all play forward. Obviously Ottens can go down there as well.

For that reason, i'd keep Thornton in. He's also shown some good form up forward for the Bullants, so we could throw him forward if needed.

McLean comes in for Curnow. Pretty obvious

So for me at this stage, i'd make 3 changes

Ins: McLean, White, Laidler
Outs: Curnow, Joseph, Ellard

Definitely need an extra tall down back, but Thornton isn't up to it, and isn't White out with a fractured leg?

McLean and Laidler are certs (for Curnow and Thornton) and I'd bring in one of Hampson, Watson and Henderson for Joseph or Ellard.

Out: Curnow, Joseph, Thorton
In: Mclean, White, Henderson/Hampson

Some match ups we're likely to see and some i'd liek to see;
Russell v Johnson (JR has beaten him the last two times)
Jamo v JPod (no brainer, only key forward they have)
Carrots v Bartel (Cats best midfielder)
Garlett v Enright (need to make him accountable of half back)
Robbo v Scarlett (similar to how he played Fletcher last year)
Betts v Taylor (Taylor can't play small forwards)
Gibbs v Chapman (Go head to head, can match him when Chappy pushes forward)
Ellard v Selwood (can match Selwoods hardness & Selwood won't keep up)

Thornton hasn't been taking a KPF for much of the games anyway. It would be nice to play White as the third tall but I fear he won't be back for a while.

If Cachia keeps improving, he could well move in front of Ellard within a year or so. Similar speed, similar skillset, but Cachia can impose himself more with his size and attitude. Will be interesting to watch his development.
Agreed, has great work ethic, leadership and could be a real physical presence for us once he's finished developing. Could be a midfield version of Byron Pickett (with a hell of a lot less leg speed).

It's not that I want any bad for Ellard, but I juat don't see him any more than a stop gap player.
Maybe it's just me but does anyone really see Ellard as a 100 game plus player for us?

Having said that, the kid has a huge heart and if anyone can achieve beyond his abilities, Ellard will give it his best shot.
More talking about for the next game Harks. His shit couldn't stink on this board the last two weeks and then after one bad game everyone is off him before you could blink. We still need someone to play his role in the team and it's not like he's been struggling all season.

My team list for Geelong:

FB: Russell :: Jamison :: Duigan
HB: Yarran :: White :: Laidler
Ce: Scotland :: McLean :: Simpson
HF: Garlett :: Waite :: Gibbs
FF: Walker :: O'hAilpin :: Betts
Ru: Warnock :: Judd :: Murphy

Be: Robinson :: Carrazzo :: Armfield
Sub: Ellard

Go head to head with their mids and instruct McLean to get to the ball ahead of Selwood. .. Carrots can rotate on to pick up Chappy if he starts looking dangerous. .. Armfield to Stokes if he gets it early. .. Gibbs as the defensive forward, I liked him early on in the Saints game and his opponent cannot escape him by moving anywhere else. ..

Henderson for White - If he doesn't get fit over the break, in which case Ellard might make way for Thornton as the sub. ..

Like it, reckon he can really hurt them on the scoreboard as well once he gets used to the role. Corey Enright is a brilliant player, Houlihan shutting him down was one of the main reasons we beat them last year and his huge game against Mitch Robinson later in the year was one of the main reasons they won. If Gibbs can be successful it'll go a long way towards setting up a win for us.

It's not that I want any bad for Ellard, but I juat don't see him any more than a stop gap player.
Maybe it's just me but does anyone really see Ellard as a 100 game plus player for us?

Having said that, the kid has a huge heart and if anyone can achieve beyond his abilities, Ellard will give it his best shot.
considering most did not think he would get to 2 games I say - you never know. Newer players may offer more-taller faster better skilled
But until they prove they do he is useful. the No Passengers should always be the case. Our list has been turned over plenty even in the last 3 years in an antempt to improve the team dynamics. I will not shed a tear when his time comes as it will mean the club is stronger.
Remembering as well will the club get off as lightly with GWS coming into the market? We lost Sauce and Grigg last year- how many might we lose this year? Our depth is not something to be taken for granted.

I think our forward line will struggle against the cats.

Everyone is mentioning Scarlett and Taylor but they are forgetting Lonergan who usually plays on one of the oppositions best tall forwards. This allows Scarlett and, to a lesser extent, Taylor to peel off and do as they please.

For that reason alone we will struggle unless we force them to be more accountable. I'm not going to mention matchups but I'm sure the MC will be thinking about this.

Think Geelong has been the best defending side so far, going to be tough to score and we need to capitalise on our chances. Tipping the Cats :p

No really though, it'll be a midfield battle and we'll be the better rested side and with talk most likely surrounding 'The Bye Curse' we shouldn't be complacent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 9 - Carlton v Geelong @ Etihad Friday May 20th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back