Preview Round 9: St.Kilda v Sydney - ES (H), Saturday 20 May 2017, 1:45pm AEST *Gears 150th, Jill's 100th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paddy just needs to man up on his opponent when he doesn't have the ball or when it hits the ground. If every players man's up properly then they won't exploit us, it's that simple.

Paddy will probably be on Grundy or Melican and as long as they don't run off him then he has done his job.

Bloody stoked that Paddy is in! I've been pushing this agenda all season and I have a bias with Pad. But putting that aside I truely believe he has to play the majority of the rest of the season.

Whilst I think top 4 isn't out of the question I am a firm believer with our recent huge improvement and this years off season possibilities that we can be a contender next year if all goes to plan and part of that plan has to be to have our top end talent developed and performing. Paddy is part of that. Get games into the kid and reap the benifits!

Big game on Saturday and I am bloody excited!

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah at some point I guess you need to put some trust in the kids

Sandy game thread is your friend. Think he nearly quilted a bloke, was embedded in the forward half and gave the opposition the brown sheets for large periods. Hence they coined him mattress guts. First seen on the www here...

I can leave BF happily now, knowing my legacy will live on for many moons.

I think back to the JLT game & I'm pretty sure Paddy only had 1 handball in all the time he was opposed to Heath Grundy. Paddy only found the ball late in the game when they moved Melican onto him.

Swans won't do that this time. If Paddy plays, he'll be stuck with Grundy all game.

And this is just my personal opinion but I reckon Paddy will cop a hiding. Grundy is far too strong & experienced. Hope I'm bloody wrong though

I think back to the JLT game & I'm pretty sure Paddy only had 1 handball in all the time he was opposed to Heath Grundy. Paddy only found the ball late in the game when they moved Melican onto him.

Swans won't do that this time. If Paddy plays, he'll be stuck with Grundy all game.

And this is just my personal opinion but I reckon Paddy will cop a hiding. Grundy is far too strong & experienced. Hope I'm bloody wrong though
I agree with Bruce out, Roo needs to be 100% (well as fit as Roo can be), otherwise Paddy will struggle as the clear #1 target if Sydney can double and triple team without a second marking target needing attention.

I'm calling out to all Saints fans on here who are going to the game on Saturday....

Please become my hero & do the following. I would do it myself, but I live in Sydney & probably won't be at another Etihad home game til June/July.

Create a banner to hold up in the crowd, written in red, black & white, that says....

"Jake Carlisle likes :hearts: this tweet"

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Minch would be bloody stiff to get dropped
I'll be stiff if minch gets dropped - for paddy

fyeah mattress gutz!!! just remember you're not a defender, stick to your side. Also it's important to share the blan--ball, around, our forward line.
ahem

Yes I too cannot understand the lack of love for Gilbert.

Currently he can play No2 ruck, midfield, and forward and back as a tall, medium or small. He can literally cover any position at least ok, and some superbly.

He is quick, agile and is always hard at it. Plays inside and out. Workrate is superb.

Yes his kicking is sometimes not good, but mainly it is.

As almost the ultimate utility he plays an important role in the team.

I am a firm believer in setting people up to succeed. Not sure this was the game to make Paddy the man inside 50 against an experienced team who will look to exploit him.

Agree... probably not the best team to bring in Paddy against. Last time Aliir took quite a few marks / spoils on him. The only time last year that I saw him being beaten comprehensively on the marking side.

I heard on radio this morning that Bruce has only had 7 touches in last 2 weeks. The amount of ball that was directed at him vs GWS and Blues was immense. So to only have 7 touches in 2 weeks is a very, very low return. I hope Josh can find some form at Sandy and be back soon. I am not bashing Bruce, but I want the best for the Saints. I am worried about Paddy being able to run and produce 2nd & 3rd efforts. Josh at least still does these.

Mattress Guts is a great mark who can hopefully retain possesion and convert F50 entries into shots on goal.

Bruce is struggling to hold any marks, but this results in to bringing our small forwards into the game to get shots off. He also is able to run out game much better and provide pressure back the other way.

Going to be interesting to see how the forward line functions with Mattress Guts in and Bruce out. It is something we havent seen before, could go either way. Would really love to see that big Gap after the final siren after a great days work. Would be great to get all our forwards firing, this is the only area of the team that is out of form right now. Roo has been covering their butts for the last couple of years. Time for some of them to return the favour and give Roo a chop out for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a firm believer in setting people up to succeed. Not sure this was the game to make Paddy the man inside 50 against an experienced team who will look to exploit him.
I agree, Bruce is still required to allow Paddy a chance 1 on 1 Bruce becomes the foil so to speak he takes a good back man away from the contests we might regret dropping him this week.

Needs to channel Plugger and tell all in the forward 50, "Get in my way and i will run straight through you"
C'mon MG, fire up son!
We need the chant

Mattress Guts
Mattress Guts
Mattress Guts

To ring around Etihad.

That got him slicing up Coberg campaigners.

I want a new scandal about how the Saints are thugs.

I think we are playing into Sydneys hand, last week Norf missed the marking ability of Waite in turn put more pressure on Brown he was putrid without him,our entry into fwd 50 last week wasn't great either we kicked long to Bruce who had his opponent and another one picking off the mark in front of the contest this will happen this week against Paddy without the required support I can see Mills,Lloyd or Smith having a 30 possession game this week.

Possibly this is happening because they wanted to put Rooey in the 50 more this week so he didn't have to run down the wing the entire match to give his knee a little rest?
Then they had to play The Human Mattress based on his VFL form so Bruce had to make way to fit both of them in?

Last edited:
I heard on radio this morning that Bruce has only had 7 touches in last 2 weeks. The amount of ball that was directed at him vs GWS and Blues was immense. So to only have 7 touches in 2 weeks is a very, very low return. I hope Josh can find some form at Sandy and be back soon. I am not bashing Bruce, but I want the best for the Saints. I am worried about Paddy being able to run and produce 2nd & 3rd efforts. Josh at least still does these.

Mattress Guts is a great mark who can hopefully retain possesion and convert F50 entries into shots on goal.

Bruce is struggling to hold any marks, but this results in to bringing our small forwards into the game to get shots off. He also is able to run out game much better and provide pressure back the other way.

Going to be interesting to see how the forward line functions with Mattress Guts in and Bruce out. It is something we havent seen before, could go either way. Would really love to see that big Gap after the final siren after a great days work. Would be great to get all our forwards firing, this is the only area of the team that is out of form right now. Roo has been covering their butts for the last couple of years. Time for some of them to return the favour and give Roo a chop out for once.
Long post but things need some clarification.

I think people confuse Bruce with Reiwoldt. Bruce is not and has never been a high possession forward who takes lots of marks.

His career average is 4.5 marks, 11 possessions and 1.4 goals a game.

His average this year is 4 marks, 11 possessions and 1.6 goals a game.

In his best season he only averaged 5 marks a game and 11 possessions but his 2.3 goals a a game (45 for the season) makes us think he's played so much better.

Bruceys real problem is that he has got such a tank that he gets to so many more contests than a player with comparable stats (eg Liam Jones, Ty Vickery) that we expect him to be getting many many more possessions.

But because of the fact that he's got such a tank our chaos balls actually be a weapon because despite the fact that people poo poo him for not taking marks, nlike Jones or Vickery, who would never ever make it to the contest, we know Brucey will at least be there. (Unless of course its like Saturday when Carlton drop 2 or 3 extra players back and it becomes an impossibility even for Bruce.)

I'd play all three (Bruce, Roo and FMcMG)and leave Roo on the wing all day.

Roo roaming up and down the ground as required, Bruce playing his normal role and FMcMG's kicking goals.

Our selection policy has been consistent all year. If you don't perform the you are replaced by someone who has been performing in the reserves.

Based on that the players under pressure this week are Minch and Bruce. Not at all surprised to see Bruce relegated, just like Paddy he will find form in the 2s.

Whe you have depth like we do then this is the best way to use it. Massive improvement on our 09-10 policy where we never changed the team.

If true, I see it as Roo deep, Paddy CHF and Members on his bike.

Reckon you can all stop worrying, coaches will have considered all of the variables and potential issues put forth the last few pages.

Always gonna be an element of risk.

Backing Paddy in, exciting times!!

PS yes I'm also worried about FWD pressure...

It's obvious the Bruce is not in form, simple as that- marking judgement is off, getting caught out of position and not using his body as well as he was in the last two seasons. Presuming the Padster gets a game, he really does need to show the coach that he wants to stay in the seniors, and is going to take the next step.

If true... Feck Paddy needs to deliver.

He will be the main man inside 50 and needs to bring his Sandy form. Just worried Sydney will run off him every chance they get.

They'll only run off if they're winning the midfield battle, as we say every week on here.. it's won or lost in the guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back