Preview Round 9: St.Kilda v Sydney - ES (H), Saturday 20 May 2017, 1:45pm AEST *Gears 150th, Jill's 100th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are playing into Sydneys hand, last week Norf missed the marking ability of Waite in turn put more pressure on Brown he was putrid without him,our entry into fwd 50 last week wasn't great either we kicked long to Bruce who had his opponent and another one picking off the mark in front of the contest this will happen this week against Paddy without the required support I can see Mills, Lloyd or Smith having a 30 possession game this week.

Bruce has been struggling to take a mark inside 50 for weeks, so the coaches are bringing in Paddy who is constantly described as an amazing mark. Nick will play mostly forward and we there to support Paddy and Membrey will spend his time between the wing and forward line.

Agree with the thinking Roo will spend more time fwd with Paddy. Paddy's marking is a real strength. Membrey can play further out.

The right selection for Webster is critical though. Savage or DMac? Both quick. DMac competitive beast. Sav better kick and played a ripper last week. He gets first crack for mine. Backs have imporved out of site since he last played.

Our mid depth has developed well this year. Stoked with how Seb has come on. Steele is s deadset GUN. Release the beast in Koby straight back in. Koby, Ross, Stuv, Steele, Acres and co can actually match it with Swans now. I'm convinced of it after watching the GWS game.

Longer will win ruck imo and at least split clearances 50/50.

Then there are the above the shoulder issues from the media beat up smear campaign this week. If the club have managrd to use this to galvanize the group we will come out absolutely firing on all cylinders.

Must see Paddy run through a couple and taking crash pack marks.

Go Saints!

Possibly this is happening because they wanted to put Rooey in the 50 more this week so he didn't have to run down the wing the entire match to give his knee a little rest?
Then they had to play The Human Mattress based on his VFL form so Bruce had to make way to fit both of them in?
Not sure why they don't just rest rooey. He clearly looks hampered by the knee. Obviously he doesn't want to miss too many games in the twilight of his career, hopefully he can get to the bye.
Bruce is stiff but they had to pick paddy. Minch is out also.

Not sure why they don't just rest rooey. He clearly looks hampered by the knee. Obviously he doesn't want to miss too many games in the twilight of his career, hopefully he can get to the bye.
Bruce is stiff but they had to pick paddy. Minch is out also.
If both are true it looks like the ins/outs will be this: McCartin, Stevens, Savage in for Bruce, Minch, Webster. I think that hurts our structure. Savage isn't a great defender and when both him and Joey are in the backline we are very vulnerable. Also think Minch coming out for a midfielder hurts our forward pressure a lot. McCartin for Bruce is a fair call due to form. It'll be interesting to see how we match up against Sydney because we'll a bit slower compared to previous weeks.

I'd prefer to see something like this:

Riewoldt (Rested), Dunstan, Webster out for McCartin, Stevens and either McKenzie/Rice. Those outs/ins keep our team similar to the way we have been the last weeks.

Sydney are a slower team though, so Richo might want the extra midfielder in Dunstan to combat Hanners, JJK etc.

If both are true it looks like the ins/outs will be this: McCartin, Stevens, Savage in for Bruce, Minch, Webster. I think that hurts our structure. Savage isn't a great defender and when both him and Joey are in the backline we are very vulnerable. Also think Minch coming out for a midfielder hurts our forward pressure a lot. McCartin for Bruce is a fair call due to form. It'll be interesting to see how we match up against Sydney because we'll a bit slower compared to previous weeks.

I'd prefer to see something like this:

Riewoldt (Rested), Dunstan, Webster out for McCartin, Stevens and either McKenzie/Rice. Those outs/ins keep our team similar to the way we have been the last weeks.

Sydney are a slower team though, so Richo might want the extra midfielder in Dunstan to combat Hanners, JJK etc.
Good post!

I wouldn't be upset if DMac came in for the defensive animal he is if he is to play Webster role.

The Mighty Mattress Guts.

If Josh is dropped we lose a huge tank.

Im with stavro, setting up to fail. Really needs to put in on Saturday
I like the responsibility they have put on him. Owns the 50 to himself as the #1 focal point (Timmy is clever enough not too spoil marking contests unlike Bruce who just flies for everything spoiling roo, Membrey and paddy)

We will get a good insight into the future here and a run at being #1 will give him confidence and opportunity. I can see him relishing the task.

Yeah Bruce brings more pressure on the defense when they are clearing it, but Paddy can't be any worse than baby hands Bruce in a marking contest.

I agree, Bruce is still required to allow Paddy a chance 1 on 1 Bruce becomes the foil so to speak he takes a good back man away from the contests we might regret dropping him this week.
Bruce adds great pressure, he is out of form yes, but his pressure in forward line is great , don't like him being out , but the selectors know better, thought MG would be better with him playing I know it is very hard to pick our team now very so many people putting their hand up for selection , couldn't we play Bruce , Roo , Members and Gutz in the same team

Bruce has been struggling to take a mark inside 50 for weeks, so the coaches are bringing in Paddy who is constantly described as an amazing mark. Nick will play mostly forward and we there to support Paddy and Membrey will spend his time between the wing and forward line.
Weeks? Try years. He's never had a good set of hands.

At the end of the day, we can't have our main key forward getting none of the ball and not being able to take marks, so Bruce going back to the VFL is absolutely necessary to get some form and confidence, he can't play the rest of his career surviving by putting pressure on in the forward line, he's got to be taking marks and kicking goals, hopefully when he comes back he can do that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the end of the day, we can't have our main key forward getting none of the ball and not being able to take marks, so Bruce going back to the VFL is absolutely necessary to get some form and confidence, he can't play the rest of his career surviving by putting pressure on in the forward line, he's got to be taking marks and kicking goals, hopefully when he comes back he can do that.

I've always seen Membrey as our #1 keyforward anyhow. Lacks the height, but makes up for it in marking strength, positioning and athleticism. As well as his ability to kick goals from anywhere (maybe not so much this season)

He's pretty much our Jack gunston

I might be old fashioned but while you are winning you can afford to carry players out of form & hope they find it along the way it would be different if we were losing & desperate for wins, all sides carry out of form players every week.

I might be old fashioned but while you are winning you can afford to carry players out of form & hope they find it along the way it would be different if we were losing & desperate for wins, all sides carry out of form players every week.

Yes they do but as soon as we lose one it'll be drop the out of form players they are costing us games, why not make sure we have as many in form players as possible?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they do but as soon as we lose one it'll be drop the out of form players they are costing us games, why not make sure we have as many in form players as possible?
That's a good theory if it works Paddy needs to average 2 goals a game to make it work as that's what Bruce's last 3 games averages has been, who takes the ruck if Gilbert is required to stay down back.

That's a good theory if it works Paddy needs to average 2 goals a game to make it work as that's what Bruce's last 3 games averages has been, who takes the ruck if Gilbert is required to stay down back.
Gilbert. Just shuffle it. Goes in when Tippett does

with regards to bruce, unless there is a leak at the club which would be a big worry, to my knowledge nothing official has come from the saints re omitting bruce. I would prefer to wait for team selection before jumping to conclusions, paddy will most likely come in but at whose expence, I prefer the official version about 6pm tonight.

Yeah we've been carrying him out of form for a while now and he has been given the chance to find it along the way. If he is out this week id say it's been coming for at least the last couple.. No shame in needing to find form in the ressies. If he is out I'm sure he'll come back better for it.

I hope all saints fans applaud paddy like cray when he demolishes it.
Not sure of the relevance, but hey I'll try anything for a Paddy bag :thumbsu:

miHvOw3sxjcTJP8D507U4Dg.jpg

People look at one aspect of a players stats and that's it. Bruce is lower in his contested marking - ergo he's s^%$ despite the fact that his other stats are pretty much no different (other than goal kicking ratio) to his entire career.

What people don't consider is whether our game plan has changed, whether other players roles are different, whether our structures are different etc etc etc and how that might impact on individual players.

We are scoring more heavily this year than we did last year and the year before, we have more players scoring goals and we have mids and defenders regularly kicking goals. Somebody misses out when other players step up.

Paddy was absolutely totally out of form, Bruce is not.

Roo wing, Bruce and Paddy key forwards.

Webster and Minch out

Stevens and Paddy in.

If roo or paddy was kicking 1 or 2 goals with 7 possies and taking 1 contested mark every 2 games. Would you want them dropped. Kenoath you would.
It will be interesting to see what we'll do if all of Paddy, Bruce, Membery & Roo are all in form, hypothetically Bruce kicks 4 for the next 3 weeks he demands coming back in what will be our tactics then I'm looking forward to that time.

People look at one aspect of a players stats and that's it. Bruce is lower in his contested marking - ergo he's s^%$ despite the fact that his other stats are pretty much no different (other than goal kicking ratio) to his entire career.

What people don't consider is whether our game plan has changed, whether other players roles are different, whether our structures are different etc etc etc and how that might impact on individual players.

We are scoring more heavily this year than we did last year and the year before, we have more players scoring goals and we have mids and defenders regularly kicking goals. Somebody misses out when other players step up.

Paddy was absolutely totally out of form, Bruce is not.

Roo wing, Bruce and Paddy key forwards.

Webster and Minch out

Stevens and Paddy in.
Well if he's doing his role then he won't be dropped? Guess we will see on that, but I'd have to question having the number 1 forward play the role of be terrible around goals, not take marks, and get in the road of other players.

Can't agree with the Paddy call either, yes he had a poor game against Brisbane but was very good against West Coast and looked more dangerous than Bruce has all year. Does one bad game mean you are 'absolutely totally out of form'? When in reality, this has been Bruce all year, yes he's kicked a few goals but with his best haul against Hawks, all of his goals were gimmes that anyone could've kicked, be it Josh Bruce or Beau Maister at FF they would've kicked them. He's horrendously out of form. His marks, contested marks, goals, tackles are all down whilst his frees against are up. He needed to be dropped, hopefully it's the best thing for him and he goes back and kicks bags, comes back and forms a great partnership with Paddy with Membrey to help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back