Autopsy Round 9 vs West Coast @ OPTUS - 12/05/23 - 8:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

In what universe does Day coming in over Burgess make any sense? Even McLaughlin has performed better. Oh dear. :drunk:

Mac played well and deserved to be next up.

Probably a good game to give Ace a run on the wide oval as well. Gives us more speed which is always good.

Not big on Day coming in, especially considering how short their backline is. But I feel like this is the right game to bring Ace and Andrew in.

Eagles are putting out one of the worst backlines to play AFL, other than Barrass. This should be a 40+ point win. Knowing the suns, weā€™ll win by 14 in a messy arm wrestle

Ace and Mac played well in VFL.

Hopefully our tall forward line will overwhelm them. Can Day play on Barras? Day will be helping out in ruck no doubt.

A lot of talls on both sides.
But burgess is the one who has been rucking in the vfl team?

Itā€™s honestly a joke.

Itā€™s like Sam Day has been picked to play the Casboult role because, but only because he is the tallest. Have the coaches ever watched him play? Nothing like casboult.

When I first heard that Day was playing I assumed it was a rumour.

Day is our worst performing tall forward in the VFL. It makes zero sense. He didnā€™t even play well last week, nor did he play ruck.

Ace brings a bit of speed and was solid

Mac was also good in the VFL last week so have no issue there. At least West Coast sort of run three tall forwards, so we can see how Mac matches up against taller players at this level.

But burgess is the one who has been rucking in the vfl team?

Itā€™s honestly a joke.

Itā€™s like Sam Day has been picked to play the Casboult role because, but only because he is the tallest. Have the coaches ever watched him play? Nothing like casboult.
I am sure coaches watch them all and all the time :p

I am surprised too but let's be honest Burgess is not a ruck (AFL ruck to be more specific). Burgess is a 3rd tall.

Day will be probably better/OK as ruck back up.

Not sure we need all those talls. But then Eagles came up with their own tall line-up version. It will be interesting.

Not the biggest fan of Sam Day in the AFL side but Josh Drummond really got these lads firing!

Thanks Josh for your service and i'd back your boys tomorrow

Day is our worst performing tall forward in the VFL.
To be honest Day was the only KPF in VFL. Burgess and McLaughlin are 3rd talls who do well in VFL but that does not mean they will kill it in AFL as KPF.

I predict Day will score 2 goals ;) Eagles will have to pay attention to Day in quare and it should open up space for King and Chol (not a role Burgess can play). Let's see.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not 100% on board but I can see the line, they want to keep their structure with the 3 talls + Lukosius. McLaughlin and Burgess are probably more 3rd talls, so they have opted with Day. If we can get midfield ascendency then our talls should do the trick. I imagine that 1 will be subbed in the 3rd quarter.

Day doesnā€™t play like a key position player though.

Marks on lead much more so than in packs. (Doesnā€™t mark mostly)

Good opportunity to see who fills that role when Levi retires at the end of the year.. obviously wonā€™t be Sam.

In a team thatā€™s killing it, he has kicked 1 goal in past 3 VFL matches.

To me, itā€™s baffling. Do t think he can do what theyā€™re clearly projecting. Hope he proves me wrong.

Oh boy. They are REALLY going to struggle.

Hurn is one of the few decent players for them in recent times.
Kelly, Allen and Duggan their only inform players right now. Has to be 40+

To be honest Day was the only KPF in VFL. Burgess and McLaughlin are 3rd talls who do well in VFL but that does not mean they will kill it in AFL as KPF.

I predict Day will score 2 goals ;) Eagles will have to pay attention to Day in quare and it should open up space for King and Chol (not a role Burgess can play). Let's see.
It could work, sure. My point is that he has not been playing well, and he is also coming off an injury. He is an underperforming tall in the lower tier and gets called up, thatā€™s all I was questioning. Nothing against Day.

He wonā€™t need to ruck much, as we have Chol and Witts. Iā€™d be surprised if he did more than a couple of hit outs at best.

I also donā€™t think we needed a third true KPP. A third, smaller and more mobile (and more in form) tall would be just as fine. This was a chance to reward lower tier form.

But letā€™s just trust the process and see how it all pans out tomorrow night.

Strangely, the panellists on AFL 360 tonight suggested that the Perth media are saying West Coast really needs to win this game. I don't really see how anyone could suggest West Coast SHOULD win any game at the moment...

Don't agree with just these 3.......don't neglect their rebounding HB Jones who is having a big season, setting up a lot of their forward forays, although a lot of the time that's where it comes to an end....

Don't agree with just these 3.......don't neglect their rebounding HB Jones who is having a big season, setting up a lot of their forward forays, although a lot of the time that's where it comes to an end....
He's been pretty good this year, apologies for forgetting him to round out the top 5, Bailey Williams has been a solid citizen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9 vs West Coast @ OPTUS - 12/05/23 - 8:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back