Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Came here to say the same thing, I was 18, didnt even know who he was, he was much older. Apparently I looked at him funny and he wanted to punch on. Weird tall skinny bloke was about to get folded like a deck chair by some mates of mine who much larger and scarier looking and he back off straight away.

Tom Lynch probably the nicest player I have ever met, pure gentlemen and very shy.

Retired players, Barry Hall, absolute legend.

With Barry Hall, my work booked a nightclub for our end of year party one year. As the night wore on and the venue started to open to the public, apparently Barry came in and was putting in a very good shift propping up the bar. I didn't speak to him personally, but those that did said he was very friendly and approachable.

Actually forgot to mention Richo, one of the best humans you will meet. Gives everyone time and always down for a chat.

hate to mention it, Dusty, couldnt be less interested in fans and IMO, ****n rude. Lost alot of respect for him after that.
yeah seen dusty out a few times and he is just a fl*g.
Richo on the other hand! Great guy

• Encountered Nick Dal Santo once in lift of all places. He initiated conversation and seemed a genuinely nice guy.
  • Worked in a hotel many years ago and Javed Miandad helped me make his own bed lol. Found him to be a friendly bloke who enjoyed a chat.
Can confirm dal santo is a legend, I met him at the airport last year probably had one of the best fans experiences ever

If anybody remembers Celebrity Deathmatch, were something similar run for this, it feels like you'd want Darcy Moore and Garry Lyon in opposite sides of the draw because that would be the final all the punters would want to decide the rudest trophy winner.

Garry Lyon could ask Moore for a selfie as the opening gambit.

Actually forgot to mention Richo, one of the best humans you will meet. Gives everyone time and always down for a chat.

hate to mention it, Dusty, couldnt be less interested in fans and IMO, ****n rude. Lost alot of respect for him after that.
Doesn't exactly seem like a people person/or very approachable. Like he let's his footy do the talking. Maybe he gets overwhelmed by the attention and acts out.

If anybody remembers Celebrity Deathmatch, were something similar run for this, it feels like you'd want Darcy Moore and Garry Lyon in opposite sides of the draw because that would be the final all the punters would want to decide the rudest trophy winner.

Garry Lyon could ask Moore for a selfie as the opening gambit.
Haven't seen many posts here about Patrick Dangerfield, the other media nice guy/darling (he's kind of the AFLs Roger Federer) but wonder what he's like overall.

It's interesting Moore would be like that given the public persona he presents. I suppose it's true everyone is human and all the attention can get tiring etc, but I just get the sense Moore and Dangerfield try extra hard to present a certain image. I'm not sure how about Danger, but the things said about Darcy are true it honestly doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't exactly seem like a people person/or very approachable. Like he let's his footy do the talking. Maybe he gets overwhelmed by the attention and acts out.
Agree, and I get it, but just an ounce of manners is a minimum IMO

With Barry Hall, my work booked a nightclub for our end of year party one year. As the night wore on and the venue started to open to the public, apparently Barry came in and was putting in a very good shift propping up the bar. I didn't speak to him personally, but those that did said he was very friendly and approachable.
We train at the same gym, he is dead set so humble and easy going. Not at all what I expected.

Nicest - Dyson Heppell, Terry Daniher, Dermie, David Zaharakis, Sheeds, Jack Riewoldt, John Barnes because he gave me a drinkcard one night.

Rudest - Joe Daniher

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a face like his you'd think he would have to have a great personality.

In case you didn't hear the commentatoes say it 1000 times, he doesn't own a tv. Fascinating! /s.
Joey D must be so exhausted constantly getting recognised in public for his performance as Doofy in Scary Movie

1719554812328.png

Mal Brown is an absolute champion.

I too have met more cricketers

Jonty Rhodes is also a champion bloke. Joel Garner and Clive Lloyd both great guys.

Malcolm Marshall and Michael Holding very nice too. Wasim Akram I spoke to briefly and was very polite.

Muttiah Muralitharan - I had a sit down and we had a 30 minute chat about lower grade cricket and is a lovely guy. Met Sachin Tendulkar briefly at a cricket dinner and he was very polite

Ones I didn't like so much. I was about 30 seconds away from punching on with Damien Martyn in a nightclub although other people I know says he a good guy. Maybe I'm a dick. Andrew Symonds was a bit aloof maybe he was shy. Glenn McGrath good guy. Ian and Greg Chappell not so much. I had a never meet your heroes moment with Dennis Lillee.

Shane Warne met him 3 times and was always quite friendly.

Footballers Wayne Carey good guy I quite liked him. Rory Sloane champion bloke. Josh Carr much quieter than I expected. Same with Chad Cornes. Same with Stewart Dew. Jackson Trengove good guy. Matthew Primus champion bloke.

To continue with the cricketing theme....

During the 1992/93 season a mate and I drove up to Bendigo to watch the West Indies play Victoria. Of course the entire match got rained out. So we hear at the ground that they'll be doing some training at an indoor cricket centre. Turn up and sure enough Richie Richardson, Ambrose, Lara etc. are all going through the motions in there. I sit down to watch and for some reason Brian Lara plonks himself down next to me after his net session and we have a chat. Seemed pretty decent, this was just before his 277 and his life changing forever. General vibe I got was that they were all a bit worn out from standing around waiting to play for a few days. Those we spoke too were friendly but all seemed a bit weary.

As we leave, we're driving up the road and see none other than Dessie Haynes carrying his cricket bag trudging along the road in his uniform. We offer to give him a ride but there wasn't any room in the ute. Thanked us anyway with a huge smile and laugh. Seemed like a great guy.

That night, at the pub the Victorian team is in attendance and me and my mate end up playing pool with Dean Jones. Seemed ok, no ego at all with us, happy to chat. Shane Warne was friendly (and smoked like a chimney the entire time), as was Merv Hughes. Lehmann came across as a complete self-absorbed knob.

Last edited:
Rate Dyson Heppell, Trent Cotchin

Don’t rate David King, Adam Goodes

Going back a long way I used to work directly across the road from Chris Mainwaring house. He was one of the nicest blokes ever.

I even saw him once give a lift to an old dude who was kind of lost in a botte O....His house was roughly 50k from that location.

I used to run into Ben Cousins all the time too. Really friendly bloke who used to cross the road to say high. (We knew each other by sight as I worked in Subi when it was booming)

Embley was okay but a bit quiet.

Chad Fletcher was quieter than I expected,

Played basketball against Mike Ellis and CJ Bruton. Nice guys. James Harvey was w***er but I was pretty messed up that night.

Brett Wheeler is a really nice dude.

To continue with the cricketing theme....

During the 1992/93 season a mate and I drove up to Bendigo to watch the West Indies play Victoria. Of course the entire match got rained out. So we hear at the ground that they'll be doing some training at an indoor cricket centre. Turn up and sure enough Richie Richardson, Ambrose, Lara etc. are all going through the motions in there. I sit down to watch and for some reason Brian Lara plonks himself down next to me after his net session and we have a chat. Seemed pretty decent, this was just before his 277 and his life changing forever. General vibe I got was that they were all a bit worn out from standing around waiting to play for a few days. Those we spoke too were friendly but all seemed a bit weary.

As we leave, we're driving up the road and see none other than Dessie Haynes carrying his cricket bag trudging along the road in his uniform. We offer to give him a ride but there wasn't any room in the ute. Thanked us anyway with a huge smile and laugh. Seemed like a great guy.

That night, at the pub the Victorian team is in attendance and me and my mate end up playing pool with Dean Jones. Seemed ok, no ego at all with us, happy to chat. Shane Warne was friendly (and smoked like a chimney the entire time), as was Merv Hughes. Lehmann came across as a complete self-absorbed knob.
Reminds me of a time (I'm thinking 86/87-ish) when we were in Wangaratta watching a Vic vs QLD Sheffield Shield match and went out to the pub one of the nights where all the QLD players were having drinks - not a bad bunch of fellas, and definitely no holds barred on getting smashed the night before they played. They were apparently staying upstairs too.

Nearing closing time Alan Border, who was Australian captain at the time, was seen to be leaving the bar and heading upstairs with a young local floozy under his arm. One of my mates yelled out to him "what about your missus AB?", to which he put a finger up to his pursed lips as if to make a "Sshhh" gesture.

Not my story, but a guy I know lost his son on a tour of the MCG. Found him on the ground having a kick with Matthew Richardson.

Ran into Hipwood playing golf yesterday, very polite.
My mate has run in Charlie Cameron playing golf, super nice guy apparently.

Heard a few stories about people running into Mitch Robinson at clubs. Very personable and polite on an individual level but carries on like a flog.

Yeah, was surprised to see an earlier post in here saying David Neitz was a prick. I worked in a bottle shop in uni and he'd just started his brewery, he came in a couple of times for rep stuff and was more helpful and a man of the people than the usual little Melbourne Uni shits who'd do rep stuff.

They had those pull up banners and would have to cart in a table full of merch and beer and I asked if he needed a hand. 'nah this is my job! I'm sure you've got plenty to do.' small shit but he'd always say please and thank you if he needed to borrow the wifi or use the kettle or something.

Would always leave a few beers for me as well. they were pretty horrible though...

Anyay he's probably one my favourite non-Dockers players and I probably should have told him how much I was relieved he was so decent.

Other Melbourne Football Club legends who came through included Jay Kennedy Harris and Viv Michie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back