Ryan Nyhuis tackle on Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Gray held Nyhuis. He held onto his arms. I guess he was playing for a free (holding the man). Gray thought it was a better idea to play for the free kick than protect himself. As a result he dragged Nyhuis down and didn't put out his arms to break his fall. This is a simple case of play on, and a lesson for Robbie Gray that in the future - protect yourself ahead of playing for frees.

Robbie actually had one arm free

This is what I don't get. Smith laid a good tackle on Crisp last week who chose to hold onto the ball with his free arm rather than protect himself. But he wins a free kick for a dangerous tackle because of how he landed. It's on the lower end of the same scale as the one here with Gray.

Either an arm free means there is some onus on the player to protect himself, or there isn't. The inconsistency with this stuff is frustrating.

I can’t help but wonder if he would have tackled Sam Gray like that?

The stars of our game pay a high price.
Nah, Sam's pretty fair - Robbie is a stager and a diver and got himself into trouble trying to draw a holding free

It's akin to someone ducking and getting more than they asked for

Just saw Hinkley's press conference. That guys is a nasty piece of work. Commenting on an incident in that manner lacks class. Nyhuis will be dealt with by the match review panel. Hinkley adding fuel to the fire like that contributes absolutely nothing and is prejudicial to the process. Very disappointing.
I agree with this. Poor form from a coach really.

Love the outrage at the tackle like we've never seen it happen before. Show me the last time someone got 6 weeks for a tackle where someone hits the turf.

He'll cop 1-2, if they go to 3 it's an escalation on what we've seen so far this year.

Enjoy :thumbsu:

Can’t believe people support Dixon remonstrating. It wasn’t a Malicious act, he didn’t intend to knock him out so it’s completely unnecessary.

A bloke got knocked out a few weeks back from a tackle by a teammate. It wasn’t malicious. He caught the bloke off balance and pinned his arms so he couldn’t dispose and his head hit the turf. His team didn’t remonstrate, they actually went over and stood in support of their teammate being stretchered off. You don’t remonstrate accidents.

2 weeks I reckon.
He did have one arm free but Im not sure it was much use to him as he was slammed down on the opposite side so probably couldn't use it for the brace.
2 distinct actions in the tackle will class it as reckless and the end result being high impact means he will have to go for a minimum of 2, I suspect 3 weeks downgraded to 2.
Bit unlucky but the second action was not required so he has only himself to blame.

Whateley going hard this morning that he MUST be sent directly to the tribunal. Sam McClure was saying the same earlier.

Christ where was the media outrage when Dusty intentionally touched the umpire? But he will cruxify a tackle that had an unfortunate outcome.

Surely this is just a simple 2 weeker.

2 weeks I reckon.
He did have one arm free but Im not sure it was much use to him as he was slammed down on the opposite side so probably couldn't use it for the brace.
2 distinct actions in the tackle will class it as reckless and the end result being high impact means he will have to go for a minimum of 2, I suspect 3 weeks downgraded to 2.
Bit unlucky but the second action was not required so he has only himself to blame.

He would of had two arms free if he wasn't bracing onto the opponents arms trying to milk a free kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the outrage at the tackle like we've never seen it happen before. Show me the last time someone got 6 weeks for a tackle where someone hits the turf.

He'll cop 1-2, if they go to 3 it's an escalation on what we've seen so far this year.

Enjoy :thumbsu:

It should be two down to one.

People are getting over excited.

You realise in your outrage that is one of the considerations in a dangerous tackle, yes?
Maybe if the other hand was free instead he could have braced for it and if it happened in slow motion. I just don't get how robbie is at fault here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Higgins got knocked out in a blind side bump where his opponent had the opportunity to tackle. No suspension.

Nyhuis didn't sling, left an arm free and didn't drive the head first (body and head impacted same time) yet media is baying for a suspension.

This MRP is a lottery.

I said it earlier, it needs to be based on action not outcome.

Higgins got knocked out in a blind side bump where his opponent had the opportunity to tackle. No suspension.

Nyhuis didn't sling, left an arm free and didn't drive the head first (body and head impacted same time) yet media is baying for a suspension.

This MRP is a lottery.

I said it earlier, it needs to be based on action not outcome.
It's based on media outcry rather than the action

Maybe if the other hand was free instead he could have braced for it and if it happened in slow motion. I just don't get how robbie is at fault here.

The other hand was free. It gripped onto nyhius arm.

You said so what. I have a simple answer to your smart arse question.

Should be 1-2 weeks. The outrage ("6 weeks, straight to the tribunal") by the usual morons in the media is completely overblown. Just a regular hard tackle which went a bit far, with the outcome not helped by Gray failing to protect himself with his free right arm.

Fremantle aren’t a ‘big’ club.
Fremantle have already appealed decisions undermining the tribunals decidion.
Player was knocked out.
Nyhuis is not a Brownlow fancy.
It’ll be weeks, probably more than the incedent deserves in isolation - but hey, it’s the AFL and they’ll do whatever they want.

He would of had two arms free if he wasn't bracing onto the opponents arms trying to milk a free kick.
Rubbish. The footage clearly shows him attempting to baulk with the ball in his left hand which immediately gets pinned. To say he was trying to milk a free by evading the tackle is comical.

Whateley going hard this morning that he MUST be sent directly to the tribunal. Sam McClure was saying the same earlier.

Christ where was the media outrage when Dusty intentionally touched the umpire? But he will cruxify a tackle that had an unfortunate outcome.

Surely this is just a simple 2 weeker.

Hes from a Non Vic club and Whateley hates Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Nyhuis tackle on Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back