Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

4f65e65ad9e5fe62b09447fc584d3b2d.jpg

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/t...s/news-story/8a965c0cefc6a44e2b8e33258e4da139

You haven’t read the story have you. He was definitely concussed.

Yeah he was concussed playing a brutal game he freely chose to play for big financial reward. People carrying as though the damage is done only if they are wrongly sent back onto the field.

The damage is done during the normal play we love to watch. It's a brutal violent gladiatorial game that no player should be under any illusions of the damage it will do to their body and possibly their mind.

That said I was aghast when Alir was sent back on but the damage is done before they're wrongly sent back on.

Yeah he was concussed playing a brutal game he freely chose to play for big financial reward. People carrying as though the damage is done only if they are wrongly sent back onto the field.

The damage is done during the normal play we love to watch. It's a brutal violent gladiatorial game that no player should be under any illusions of the damage it will do to their body and possibly their mind.

That said I was aghast when Alir was sent back on but the damage is done before they're wrongly sent back on.
What was once acceptable is no more. Those of us that seen the game at its most brutal, will find it hard to accept the change in attitude towards head trauma in a collision sport.

What was once acceptable is no more. Those of us that seen the game at its most brutal, will find it hard to accept the change in attitude towards head trauma in a collision sport.

I sometimes wonder whether the game is more dangerous now than it was 30 years ago. Sure there's no longer the hip n shoulders and king hits but being so much faster now the inadvertent collisions like we saw the other night are so much more brutal.

Slow the game down by reducing interchange rotations even further would help make it safer.

Bickley wants us to lose the ANZAC fixture.. no agenda there lol
What an absolute f**ker. That game is to honour our Magpie players who sacrificed so much. Imo it is our most important home game. The Crows don't have that history so he can f**k off. Still haven't forgiven him for his elbow destruction of Wakelin. Asbolute a**shole. So angry.

Given a human has a metal plate in his face due to his gutless thuggery, i’d say Bickley should * off
I think this well & truly needs to be pointed out by our club. Call the f**cker out. I hate these Crow f**kers. Roo & Dunstall started this hysteria for reasons beyond player welfare.

Last edited:
Looking to the port adelaide club getting a solid spanking and ridicule re concussed players. No sympathy for what ever penatly. Yu can have ysr sack hinkley rubbish but this is a serious issue of football integrity, goverance and propriety.

Looking to the port adelaide club getting a solid spanking and ridicule re concussed players. No sympathy for what ever penatly. Yu can have ysr sack hinkley rubbish but this is a serious issue of football integrity, goverance and propriety.
I'm not really sure what point you think you are making here

It's ironic all these ex footy commentators commenting on this concussion issue when they've caused their fair share of concussion.

Kane has gave me several concussions… from me banging my own head on the table in exasperation ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are all happy to take the half million to million dollar annual salary. The grievances only start when when the cash flow tap is turned off after they've retired.

Anyone that's concerned about their health probably shouldn't play a brutal sport like AFL. Concussions only a small part of the overall damage they do to their bodies.

Sorry mate that’s just a ridiculous take on so many fronts.

Cassie Burton, the partner of former Port utility Sam Mayes, said the current spotlight on Port's concussion situation "doesn't surprise me" and it made her "sick". "Sam's played concussed after they strapped his head and sent him back on the field," Burton wrote on Twitter, accompanied with a picture of Mayes' head bandaged during his AFL career.
"He's also pulled himself out of the AFL side as he wasn't feeling right from a separate head knock. It's scary to witness."
It is understood Mayes was sent back out on the ground in a SANFL semi-final playing for Port in 2019 after a head knock. He later took himself to the bench because he was feeling unwell. Mayes later had no recollection of Port's thrilling four-point victory after the match, which put the club into a grand final. In 2021, the former Brisbane Lions player was named in Port's AFL team despite having a head knock playing in the reserves a week earlier.

This is an interesting one because if the 2019 incident happened in 2023 it'd be a clear breach of the rules, but back then I don't think it was. This then makes me wonder how prevalent this was at that time, because we're only finding out about this now that the Aliir situation happened and that's something that isn't supposed to happen in the first place now.
Don't get me wrong I think what's happened to Mayes is obviously not a good thing, but the partner of a Port player probably isn't going to come out with their partner's experience if this happened in a game between Gold Coast and North Melbourne (not that we'd know it happened, no one would be watching the game).

I put up the following post on 24 Feb 2021 in Part 17 of the AFL Talk Thread.

in a reply to Nemisis linking a Washington Post article and asking is CTE real. I have quoted part of the very long article below.

It's real, but you don't have to be a footballer or someone who has played professional contact sports to get CTE. Fall off your bike when you are 8 or 10 or 12 or 14 and get a good bang to the head and you will get CTE. The more knocks you get, the worse it gets.

Prof Gavin Davis was on Gerard Healy's show a couple of weeks ago, and explained CTE and his thoughts are in line with the Washington Post article. This interview is 2 weeks after the Post article.

The prof is a Melbourne neurosurgeon, an authority on concussion, brain injuries and its management. Gerard spends about 30 seconds introducing what he has done, including co-authoring the AFL concussion guidelines and working with the NFL. Audio of some of the interview and then discussion between Gerard Healy and Sam McClure, then back to the interview is embedded in the link. Apparently there is a long podcast coming out that has the discussion between Gerard and the prof.

A Melbourne neurosurgeon who has advised the AFL on concussion policy says there is an unhealthy “climate of fear” surrounding chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Professor Gavin Davis spent several hours speaking with Gerard Healy discussing the issue, some of which was cut into an interview for 3AW.

Professor Davis said evidence showed “30 to 75 per cent” of ALL people, regardless of how they lived their life, would present with some form of CTE if they had their brain dissected at autopsy.

“For example, every time you drive your car and put your brakes on, you have a transmitted force to your brain,” he explained.

Professor Davis said, to his knowledge, the findings of the case involving football great Graham ‘Polly’ Farmer – which sent shockwaves through the sport – had not been peer-reviewed.

“Unfortunately, the media hype around this topic has created a climate of fear,” he said.

Edit 3AW podcast

‎Sportsday on Apple Podcasts

‎Sport · 2023
podcasts.apple.com

The Washington post article I referred to and said CTE is real is linked below.

In NFL, players have been wearing hard plastics / polymer helmets for 70 years and coaches have coached players to lead with their heads and smash in like missiles. That's why their law suits are going to be so more numerous and expensive - plus the fact the game has so much more money in it than AFL.

Australian Football authorities of yesteryear are more liable than administrators of current game who should be sued. They let players get hit in the head even though the rules didn't allow tackling above the shoulders and didn't allow some contact to the head.

No better example than that Michael Voss absolutely launching himself with a front on bump at Alan Richardson at the Gabba in 1996, hitting him in the head, knocking him out and the umpires are screaming play on, play on. That is a classic case where the administrators have a case to answer for, not players who kept playing because they loved it and got general knocks and had unavoidable collisions.

In 2017, Bennet Omalu traveled the globe to accept a series of honors and promote his autobiography, “Truth Doesn’t Have A Side.” In a visit to an Irish medical school, he told students he was a “nobody” who “discovered a disease in America’s most popular sport.”

In an appearance on a religious cable TV show, he said he named the disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, because “it sounded intellectually sophisticated, with a very good acronym.”

And since his discovery, Omalu told Sports Illustrated, researchers have uncovered evidence that shows adolescents who participate in football, hockey, wrestling and mixed martial arts are more likely to drop out of school, become addicted to drugs, struggle with mental illness, commit violent crimes and kill themselves.

A Nigerian American pathologist portrayed by Will Smith in the 2015 film, “Concussion,” Omalu is partly responsible for the most important sports story of the 21st century. Since 2005, when Omalu first reported finding widespread brain damage in a former NFL player, concerns about CTE have inspired a global revolution in concussion safety and fueled an ongoing existential crisis for America’s most popular sport. Omalu’s discovery — initially ignored and then attacked by NFL-allied doctors — inspired an avalanche of scientific research that forced the league to acknowledge a link between football and brain disease.
Nearly 15 years later, Omalu has withdrawn from the CTE research community and remade himself as an evangelist, traveling the world selling his frightening version of what scientists know about CTE and contact sports. In paid speaking engagements, expert witness testimony and in several books he has authored, Omalu portrays CTE as an epidemic and himself as a crusader, fighting against not just the NFL but also the medical science community, which he claims is too corrupted to acknowledge clear-cut evidence that contact sports destroy lives.

After more than a decade of intensive research by scientists from around the globe, the state of scientific knowledge of CTE remains one of uncertainty. Among CTE experts, many important aspects of the disease — from what symptoms it causes, to how prevalent or rare it is — remain the subject of research and debate.

But across the brain science community, there is wide consensus on one thing: Omalu, the man considered by many the public face of CTE research, routinely exaggerates his accomplishments and dramatically overstates the known risks of CTE and contact sports, fueling misconceptions about the disease, according to interviews with more than 50 experts in neurodegenerative disease and brain injuries, and a review of more than 100 papers from peer-reviewed medical journals.

Omalu did not discover CTE, nor did he name the disease. The alarming statistics he recites about contact sports are distorted, according to the author of the studies that produced those figures. And while Omalu cultivates a reputation as the global authority on CTE, it’s unclear whether he is diagnosing it correctly, according to several experts on the disease.

Omalu’s definition for CTE, as described in his published papers, is incredibly broad and all-encompassing, describing characteristics that can be found in normal, healthy brains, as well as in other diseases, according to experts including Ann McKee, lead neuropathologist for Boston University’s CTE Center.

“His criteria don’t make sense to me,” McKee said. “I don’t know what he’s doing.”

McKee’s assessment was supported by three neuropathologists who worked with her to develop guidelines for diagnosing CTE used by researchers around the world.

“My God, if people were actually following [Omalu’s] criteria, the prevalence of this disease would be enormous, and there’s absolutely no evidence to support that,” said Dan Perl, one of those experts and professor of pathology at the Uniformed Services University.

McKee and other experts confirmed, in interviews, something that long has been an open secret in the CTE research community: Omalu’s paper on Mike Webster — the former Pittsburgh Steelers great who was the first NFL player discovered to have CTE — does not depict or describe the disease as the medical science community defines it.

McKee and other experts believe Webster had CTE, based on his history of head trauma and his mental disorders. But the paper Omalu published shows images that are not CTE and could have come from the brain of a healthy 50-year-old man, they said.

“This is the problem,” McKee said. “People lump me with him, and they lump my work with him, and my work is nothing like this.”............

Last edited:
Sorry mate that’s just a ridiculous take on so many fronts.

It's a reasonable point poorly made.

Players are well compensated and provided broader life opportunities most people could only dream of. They go into the sport knowing that this is the case but also that it's a dangerous pursuit that could leave them with long term health issues. This has always been the case but it's only recently that brain injuries have become the biggest part of that discussion. Nat Fyfe recently said that he knows he's going to have all sorts of issues post football and that he's made a 'deal with the devil' but is at peace with it.

The real discussion is around what the AFL and clubs should be doing to mitigate the risks and minimise the inevitable long term damage from playing the sport.

I wonder if all these supporters of other clubs screaming for Port to lose draft picks and premiership points because a major sports experienced doctor made a bad independent decision are also traveling the world going to MMA contests and boxing nights screaming at the refs to stop the fight after one punch has landed?

Not that I am saying what happened on Saturday is not a serious situation, but clearly if you are that passionate about protecting people's heads, surely your concern must generalise to all of humankind?

I'm sure it's not as cynical as being about gaining an advantage for your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back