Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the merits in the ordinary course of playing and injuring themselves but not when a bloke’s been knocked unconscious.

Also we shouldn’t pretend a bung knee is comparable to brain damage.

Concussions are in the ordinary course of playing, which was my point.

I accept our doctor made a significant blue.

I do not accept that the PAFC is considerably more careless than the 17 other clubs.

At the end of the day it's one person in charge of these decisions. Is it possible that one person is more careless than others? Yes

They are but aren’t you advocating to send them back out after a concussion because it’s just sport or are we speaking at cross purposes?

No absolutely not, definitely should come off when concussed.

More just pointing out in the Sam Mayes situation highlighted by his girlfriend that his concussion effects were a result of normal play in a game he voluntarily chose to participate in for money.

I wouldn't recommend anyone play AFL if their health is a no. 1 priority.

At the end of the day it's one person in charge of these decisions. Is it possible that one person is more careless than others? Yes

That's certainly possible but the more likely explanation is he made a mistake. AFL is big money and consequences when teams lose so perhaps doctors feel pressured not to sub a player off if they're confident he's OK whereas an independent doctor wouldn't feel that pressure.

Hopefully moving forward a result of this mistake is to have an independent doctor at each game to make the decisions.

It is brutal but that doesn’t mean we should have blatant disregard for players and their longevity. Especially given all the new research on head knocks and long term effects.

Particularly in Aliir’s case were they sent him back out without a test even when you can clearly see he goes limp. I’m not too phased with Jones if he was cleared after the protocol test.

On a side note, I have no idea how McCartin was allowed back in the AFL system. He is going to suffer a terrible life
The fact that Jones was subbed out was good. The optics of "migraine" are bad. When you look closely at the protocol he exhibited 4 of the numbered points under section a) "Clear diagnosis of concussion" with no return to play. Any one of these points is grounds for "clear diagnosis". Any subsequent scat5 is for ongoing monitoring of the players condition. In the protocol, it talks about monitoring for other symptoms of concussion... ie migraine

It is also important to note that the protocol is written for training and play. It is written in clear plain language so that diagnosis can be made by line coaches and assitants during training.

With Aliir, there were 2 points from "clear diagnosis" that I could see in replays. Everyone saw it. In this case, IF the Dr was busy looking after Jones and hadn't seen the replay ANY of the match day staff can look at the replay and say hang on Aliir has a clear diagnosis of concussion too.

This is where the Dr is getting thrown under the bus. The head coach and any line coach can just say, "I've seen enough." Likewise, the "I stand by the Dr" or "Are you questioning the Dr" is a whole lot of 1984 "The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command" type stuff.
The club needs to be honest with fans. Nothing worse than spin when things are bad. Crows fans know this pain all too well. When a snafu occurs, be truthful to fans, take the hit and don't make that mistake again. Get on the front foot.

The players are both a case of a clear diagnosis, therefore the whole "passing tests" is a distraction. We are all glad that it seems recovey is going well. But a whole lot of people don't know the protocol well enough or forgot details or ignored it.

I suspect a lot of clubs are gaming the system with b) possible diagnosis where a scat5 can rule out a player. And you guys are probably not Robinson Crusoe with staff getting rusty with the protocol and sending players out under scenario a).

Hopefully, we will see an overall improvement in this area across the board.

I don't think people should be talking premiership points or draft sanctions. This punishes fans. Individuals need to be accountable for negligence or obliviousness in following the concussion protocol. And this needs to be the situation for all clubs.

Download the PDF and have a read.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I’m gonna say is give the test, You don’t lose anything by just giving the test, I thought Port did give Allir the test when Allir came back on, So dumb that they didn’t. This club is just inept

Lots of what-about-ism going on in this thread

Couldn't give a fat rats clacker what other clubs have and haven't done. This is about Port and our standards.

We ****ed up in a major way and need to own it.

We talk about accountability all the time in other threads, this person, that player, this coach should all be sacked et al. Then when there is a clear cut definitive pattern of poor performance and decision making we're pointing fingers at everyone else.

Mark Fisher should be fired. Its pretty simple.

I sometimes wonder whether the game is more dangerous now than it was 30 years ago. Sure there's no longer the hip n shoulders and king hits but being so much faster now the inadvertent collisions like we saw the other night are so much more brutal.

Slow the game down by reducing interchange rotations even further would help make it safer.
I would say the congestion of the game has made head clashes more common, more instances of multiple players attacking the same target.

I would say the congestion of the game has made head clashes more common, more instances of multiple players attacking the same target.

Yes that's definitely true, good point. Bigger, stronger and faster players all going flat out within a congested piece of the ground.

Lots of what-about-ism going on in this thread

Couldn't give a fat rats clacker what other clubs have and haven't done. This is about Port and our standards.

We ****ed up in a major way and need to own it.

We talk about accountability all the time in other threads, this person, that player, this coach should all be sacked et al. Then when there is a clear cut definitive pattern of poor performance and decision making we're pointing fingers at everyone else.

Mark Fisher should be fired. Its pretty simple.
It matters when considering the punishments.

Hinkley could have also shown some leadership and duty of care for his players by challenging the doc's decision not to test Aliir given he had a front row seat to the whole episode from the bench. As a leader, what you are prepared to walk past are the standards you are prepared to accept. Hiding behind "it's was the doc's call" is the antithesis of leadership given the circumstances. When he first got to Alberton he showed more concern for discarded toilet rolls than he demonstrated for his players last Saturday.

Last edited:
It matters when considering the punishments.

Which makes it so stupid that the club is so reluctant to test for any concussion symptoms in its players.

Port players routinely get lined up and play on, noticed it a lot this year, but no sanctions from the match review unless its clearly obvious.

Its like the club accepts head knocks are ok on port players, but the moment a port player touches an opposition player in the head its an automatic 2 weeks.

It is beyond stupid why the club choose to go down this path when its only hurting itself. 17 clubs are benefitting from a change of rules and more duty of care in head knocks but not Port.

Do not make it ok for opposition players to knock our players around with no consequence for them.

Hinkley could have also shown some leadership and duty of care for his players by challenging the doc's decision not to test Aliir given he had a front row seat to the whole episode from the bench. As a leader, what you are prepared to walk past are the standards you are prepared to accept. Hiding behind "it's was the doc's call" is the antithesis of leadership given the circumstances. When he first got to Alberton he showed more concern for discarded toilet roles than he demonstrated for his players last Saturday.
You cannot expect overpaid cheerleaders to make these kinds of decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back