Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't act like I wasn't hoping Dawson would kick the goal against us, because I was fully certain we'd see the back of Ken over it. Now I know that if that didn't do it, nothing will. *er is gonna get to leave on his own accord so we might as well beat the scum while we're stuck with him.

It was round 3 man, he survived completely shit seasons in 2015, 2016, 18, 19 and flogging as red hot favourite in the 2021 prelim, he wasn’t get sacked in round 3.

If you actually wanted that goal to go through, I don’t understand that at all. I personally think it’s a lie, I reckon most of the shit on here about not caring and wanting to lose the showdown is absolute nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i wonder if we'd actually be happy if we won by 180 points

I would be. Flogging the bejesus out of a crosstown rival we always play twice a year would give us a psychological advantage that might actually mean something when we get a real coach.

We should still Sack Hinkley immediately after the game though. Individual wins and losses are meaningless in this era. Nothing matters. We're not competing for a premiership.

If you actually wanted that goal to go through, I don’t understand that at all. I personally think it’s a lie, I reckon most of the s**t on here about not caring and wanting to lose the showdown is absolute nonsense.

It’s weird. In a given week I don’t particularly get excited for or care about matches anymore.

I no longer fear losing certain matches and the social consequences of that. I’ve seen too many embarrassing and upset losses in Showdowns, finals and top-4 clashes to get too emotional about it.

Part of that is the predictable monotony of the Hinkley experience. Part of that is probably ageing out of the fanatic part of fandom (half the league are old enough to be my children).

We’re 10-11 in Showdowns since Koch and Hinkley landed, and in that 12-season span the Crows have been better than us for maybe 18 months?

What’s to get revved up about, considering?

If history’s any guide we should pummel them but they’ll probably have another FaMoUs WiN.

The club keeps renewing this guy and gaslighting us into believing he’s the best thing for us.

It all coalesces into a big bowl of meh.

Ken ain’t got much time left, but there is absolutely zero chance it happens before this season is finished, because I see us sneaking into the 8 at worst.

So we may as well win as many games as possible, winning games helps build the foundations and culture for the next coach.

I’ve got no idea how anyone thinks losing this game will help. Bizarre.

Ken ain’t got much time left, but there is absolutely zero chance it happens before this season is finished, because I see us sneaking into the 8 at worst.

So we may as well win as many games as possible, winning games helps build the foundations and culture for the next coach.

The key is I don't think anyone really cares beyond a lukewarm preference for a win. Lose and people are like "meh", win and people are like "cool" then forget about it.

It's simply not a big deal. We are in this infinite doom loop of winning enough games that wins feel like they mean **** all, and losses feel like they also mean **** all.

It's pretty nightmarish all things considered. Absolutely dying for a clean out and a fresh start. I truly wish we would all get the opportunity to reconnect with the club but right now it feels like someone else's club with someone else's interests at heart. It's not about the members.

It won't help or hurt. Individual wins and losses are meaningless under Koch.

I'm not even really sure how you can be confident that he doesn't have much time left. We'd have all said the same in 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023, yet here we are. He's come out this week and rebuffed talk of a succession plan.

We've got nothing to hope for.

Hoping for something very funny happening (like us going out in straight sets last year) that makes the administration look bad is one method of dealing with it.

Correct. It won’t help. We transcended results long ago. From a personal perspective, it just won’t bother me.

Which blows, because after the Phil Walsh Showdown I was seething like Peter Dean after being dragged for letting 13 year old Warren Tredrea run riot at Princes Park.

EB94CA53-FA0A-447C-A73B-E67314F7AFBD.jpeg

Correct. It won’t help. We transcended results long ago. From a personal perspective, it just won’t bother me.

Which blows, because after the Phil Walsh Showdown I was seething like Peter Dean after being dragged for letting 13 year old Warren Tredrea run riot at Princes Park.

View attachment 1974883

God it feels like only yesterday I was at Wines' debut in Melbourne where we crushed Melbourne and Schulz took that mark on the line. Making that trip over, no sleep and straight back to Adelaide.

Yesterday that I was in the outer at AAMI in driving rain, somehow still enjoying another belting at the concrete jungle with the crows HQ looming over the wing, and somehow still wanting to head to after match stuff. Where I met Dean Laidley and he spoke about that culture and peeling the onion back and finding different layers.

All gone now. Fire well and truly gone out. I think the last game I attended was the Ebert tribute. Everything died then. I'm certain i'll never be engaged like I was regardless of change and regardless of results. Hard to say if that's just maturity or once bitten twice shy sort of thing.

There is no connection anymore.

View attachment 1974883

I still seeth after every loss, I hate losing pre season games even, I don’t give a **** who the coach is I just want to win. And I’m not behind the times because I was one of the only ones calling for Hinkley’s head back in 2015-16. I’ve just made peace that the coaching decision is completely out of my hands and I’m not going to let a coach kill my passion for the game. And I still have hopes we can win a flag one day soon.

God it feels like only yesterday I was at Wines' debut in Melbourne where we crushed Melbourne and Schulz took that mark on the line. Making that trip over, no sleep and straight back to Adelaide.

Yesterday that I was in the outer at AAMI in driving rain, somehow still enjoying another belting, and somehow still heading to after match stuff.

All gone now. Fire well and truly gone out. I think the last game I attended was the Ebert tribute. Everything died then. I'm certain i'll never be engaged like I was regardless of change and regardless of results. Hard to say if that's just maturity or once bitten twice shy sort of thing.

There is no connection anymore.

I was living in Melbourne at the time. Was looking forward to that Round 1 game for literally months. 15+ mates were coming over for it. Counting down the days like a 10 year old waiting for a birthday Nintendo.

Wines looking like a plug’n’play Terminator.

Wingard showing the sort of form that would make him the most electric medium forward in the game for the next 3 years.

Robbie on the back end of his rehab about to join the fun as the best player in the competition in 12 months’ time.

The Schulz mark happened RIFOMoiiii.

Hope. Joy. Fun.

Now it’s a dystopian bore — and Rucci, Kane, Paul Northeast Jr, Whateley, and a host of clueless dickheads in our ranks say we’re the problem. Haha.

I still seeth after every loss, I hate losing pre season games even, I don’t give a * who the coach is I just want to win. And I’m not behind the times because I was one of the only ones calling for Hinkley’s head back in 2015-16. I’ve just made peace that the coaching decision is completely out of my hands and I’m not going to let a coach kill my passion for the game. And I still have hopes we can win a flag one day soon.

I admire your ability to do that. Better than I in that regard. I can't really shut out the bigger picture. I'd love to live game by game but I'm one of those people that feel like unless you are building or working towards something (the building and improvement doesn't need to be linear, I accept it's a process.) disengagement and boredom ensues. The incredible treading of water with the same problems, the same losses via the same mechanisms, seeing the same dullards at the helm just makes it feel like you are watching the same poor episode on repeat each week.

A fresh start, overhaul and visible change can reignite that. We change a reasonable amount of personnel on the field but everything remains the same - nothing ever moves the needle and winning a final seems a pointless ask - god forbid a premiership.

There is also the other creeping factors which are making me generally jaded. The Vic centric competition (MCG GF, bias in coverage, shocking commentary, absolutely dog shit rules and dog shit umpiring among the few things) that adds multipliers to all of this. Then there is the pot shotting of fans by the club and it's players. Pretty ****ing grim, really.

The now looming spectre of Carr taking the reigns in an orderly handover from the intellectual cactus may end me. He'll get a begrudging shot but it feels like the chain won't be broken, it's certainly not inspiring.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was round 3 man, he survived completely s**t seasons in 2015, 2016, 18, 19 and flogging as red hot favourite in the 2021 prelim, he wasn’t get sacked in round 3.

If you actually wanted that goal to go through, I don’t understand that at all. I personally think it’s a lie, I reckon most of the s**t on here about not caring and wanting to lose the showdown is absolute nonsense.

There's a unique bit of nonsense that transcends everything else - Ken's game plan. Actually it's worse than nonsense: it's close to unwatchable, and it's also doomed to fail.

Everything this team does on the field is done the hard way. I yearn to be able to go to the footy one day and watch my team tear the opposition apart - I can't remember the last time that happened. So I don't blame others for becoming disengaged with Port Adelaide, because I feel the same way. Hopefully we see change sooner rather than later, because Taylor Walker will become a successful public speaker before this regime sees any success.

I still seeth after every loss, I hate losing pre season games even, I don’t give a * who the coach is I just want to win. And I’m not behind the times because I was one of the only ones calling for Hinkley’s head back in 2015-16. I’ve just made peace that the coaching decision is completely out of my hands and I’m not going to let a coach kill my passion for the game. And I still have hopes we can win a flag one day soon.

This is absolutely fair. I just find it hard to get genuinely interested when I know we can't win the flag. The whole season sort of feels like a string of preseason games where i'm going for the day out with my mates and hoping to see the young guys do something good.

When i'm at games I still want to win, but again, it's like wanting to win a preseason game. I don't really look at it in the context of a season or a ladder or whatever anymore.

Last edited:
It was round 3 man, he survived completely s**t seasons in 2015, 2016, 18, 19 and flogging as red hot favourite in the 2021 prelim, he wasn’t get sacked in round 3.

Rather than getting offended about rusted-on fans who’ve become indifferent after years of mediocrity and gutless leadership, maybe channel that energy into the players, coaches and off-field leaders at Port who habitually embarrass the club on the big stage and force us to eat shit time-after-time?

We’re 10-11 in Showdowns since Koch and Hinkley landed, and in that 12-season span the Crows have been better than us for maybe 18 months?

The only seasons they have finished above us in the Hinkley era are 2015, 2016 and 2017. I think they were better than us in all of these years but only significantly better in 2016 and 2017.

We have been better in all other years and I think significantly better in 2014, 2020, 2021 and 2022 (for a total of 5 Showdown wins in those 4 years).

I think we might be marginally better than them now but only marginally and certainly not enough to overcome the significant psychological hold they have over us. Just another legacy of the master coach and his era of sustained success.

Yeah, I want Hinkley gone. I also want to win the showdown. Not going to pretend I don't just for emotional hedging. Every true Port supporter should want to beat our biggest rival. Those that say otherwise are just scared we will lose.
I have no fear of the cows.

I am absolutely terrified of another extension. Another 2 years of this club down the toilet.

I think the biggest issue here is the fact that Ken himself seems to have lost the passion for the job - he's just happy to receive the pay cheque. Whenever he speaks, he comes across as lacking emotion. When your leader does that, it has an effect on those who follow. We're crying out for a new leader, but the club isn't listening.

When it’s compounded by our last 3 matches at that time being the prelim capitulation, a loss to Brisbane in Brisbane and the Russell Ebert game then it’s certainly not as unbelievable. In fact I have my message I sent on the Crows board at the time, hoping I could rub it in their faces as there was a chance them beating us would actually end up being a net-positive for us if Hinkley was sacked.
BYE BYE HINKLEY!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!
That’s the only time I’ve ever actively barracked for something bad to happen to our club. I just rewatched a video I took as it was happening and my first words after it went through were “I’m so ****ing conflicted, what the ****”. Bear in mind I live in Vic so I didn’t have insufferable Crows fans to deal with if he kicked it but from that day forward I at least know there’s no point barracking for bad to happen to us, it makes no difference.

Regardless of who the oppo is, when the game starts my love of the club and what it used to stand for kicks in big time and I absolutely f****** hate losing, but 2 hours later I'm over it and I can't remember the last time I lost any sleep over a game in the koch/hinkley era.

The above aside, even though I have been retired for quite some the memory of the so called fruit tingle barrackers in my last workplace, those of the mouth breathing dickhead variety with their K-Mart beanies and scarves which were kept hidden in their desks and hadn't ever been worn in action because they had never been to a f****** game of football in their lives let alone stand on the mound on a freezing cold and wet day to support their team, carrying on after a tingle victory over Port like they had just woken up alongside Jennifer Hawkins or Brad Pitt.

Losing again to those muppets would mean absolutely zip to that campaigner kokhead, as to a clown like him it's just another game, but I'm of the opinion the aim should always be to f*** them backwards and sideways, bury them in their own sh*t, and then p*ss on their gravy!

I think the biggest issue here is the fact that Ken himself seems to have lost the passion for the job - he's just happy to receive the pay cheque. Whenever he speaks, he comes across as lacking emotion. When your leader does that, it has an effect on those who follow. We're crying out for a new leader, but the club isn't listening.
Koch doesn't care for the club, only his image.
Hinkley lost the fire a long time ago.
The players have pretty much lost the fire.
And they wonder why the fans don't care.

There's just a whole lot of ambivalence going around down at Alberton.

No gif sums me up post another Hinkley inspired loss more than this one

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back