Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gossage is a pretty prominent media figure who has been in the game for a very long time and would have good contacts. I suspect he's found out that Hinkley's name has been raised by West Coast power brokers and has put a stack of mayo on it to make a story out of it. Probably ends up nowhere but who knows.

Yep. And he was adamant that his information was accurate in that radio segment.

Quite frankly he's probably has bigger all to do with Blucher before. And any journo isn't going to put out such a report without verifying it through multiple sources unless they have a history with a single individual who couldn't be closer to the information.

Even Sam McClure last night on classified said he wasn't convinced West Coast are looking for a first time head coach, and Duffield today says Hinkley appeals because of his history in a two footy team city, combined with his experience and likely willingness to handle the pressure that comes with the West Coast job. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if the Eagles job is more pressure than his current job at Port. The supporter base have wanted him gone for years, whereas West Coast supporters and even the media to a degree were largely apathetic on Simpson because they knew what a terrible list he had the last few years.

If Duffield is correct in saying West Coast wants to start reaching out to potential candidates this week, we could see some Hinkley traction pretty soon if there are a few consecutive losses in the making.

It's quite amazing how many posts, pages and threads we've had about sacking Hinkley. I don't think other team supporter bases are just aware of how much our fans have been suffering until they take a closer look than what the media have been portraying us as.

I'm just glad that this is almost all over.
For your sakes I hope so
For my sakes I’ll be devastated.
This storyline of the people vs the establishment has hooked me more than Stone Cold vs Mr McMahon
I’m hoping there’s a swerve in the story weagles hire Hinkley port fans rejoice and I can continue reading the story with the sack Hinkley threads on eagles board!

Can you give us a quick synopsis? Behind a paywall.

Here you go, I’ll write it.

Mark Duffield: The latest on West Coast’s search for a new coach as short list takes shape

West Coast is set to begin talks with its list of coaching candidates this week. MARK DUFFIELD takes you inside the process – and what might be putting a few off.

West Coast is set to step up its search for a senior coach later this week when it reaches out to the managers of coaching prospects and asks them for expressions of interest in the job.

Speculation might be swirling that Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley is in prime position for the job – or, for that matter, speculation had already swirled and died on the assumption that former club great Dean Cox was the favourite before he ruled himself out last week.

But the reality is that the Eagles – and the managers they are expected to be contacting – both insist there has been no action or interaction as yet.

The Eagles are understood to have formed a list of people they are interested in talking to. Now they want to start talking to them.

“We are getting ready to really get cracking on that. We have done our prelim work and now we are looking to start that up,” CEO Don Pyke said on Monday.

“I don’t really want to go into the detail. I don’t want to provide ongoing commentary on it or on who we are looking at.”

“The speculation has already started clearly. I am mindful of being respectful to those who we may contact or we may engage in conversations with.”

“There are a number of potential candidates out there.”

He said there were “possibly” candidates who may still be involved in the AFL season come finals time.

The club had also wanted to give people who might be interested in the job a couple of weeks to consider how serious they were after the departure of Adam Simpson.

“Those who might be thinking about it will hopefully have thought about it and now it is time to start to reach out to come people who we think it would be interesting to talk to,” Pyke said..”

“And I don’t know that number yet (how many candidates). We are still working through that.”

“It will be what it will be. We are mindful of timing. There are finals and there will be possible involvement in those.

“We have got a little bit of time but we don’t want to use all of that time. We want to be proactive and find the right person through the right process.”

The withdrawal of Cox from the race is significant because it is a reminder of the situation that West Coast find themselves in.

Normally a candidate serious about being a senior coach would chase a job when and where it is available. More so when the club is as well resourced as West Coast, more so again when the club is the one you played 290 games for and won a flag with.

But first-time coaches only get one shot at making it work. There is a feeling that with the Eagles list as it is, the one shot there might be a long shot – even for a club legend.

Former Eagle and current Carlton assistant Ash Hansen. It will be interesting to see how other former Eagles view it. Ash Hansen is well regarded, has coached successfully in his own right in the VFL at Footscray and is coaching as an assistant at a well-performed team in Carlton.

Jaymie Graham is at Fremantle, is equally well regarded in the industry and has also coached successfully, taking East Perth into WAFL finals before joining the Eagles coaching panel.

Collingwood assistant Scott Selwood, a past West Coast best-and-fairest winner, has been at Collingwood since 2019 in a variety of roles and has impressed the Magpies with his work in the coaches box – although some question whether his five-year coaching resume stacks up with those with longer coaching experience.

And there are others. Former Western Bulldog Daniel Giansiracusa has been a leading contender in other coaching selection processes.

But on Monday, Carr made it clear he was “here to stay in Adelaide”.

The reason why some view Hinkley as a good candidate is that he is 12 years into a coaching career, has seen preliminary final action more than once and may be prepared to “jump on the grenade” and do some of the hard yards in a rebuild without being concerned that he might be blowing up his one chance of being a senior coach.

Having lived and worked in a two team town fishbowl, Hinkley will also be familiar with the fierce focus that comes on West Coast.

But, at this point, he is still employed at another club and, at this point, that club is in the top eight and a chance to play finals.

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley. Normally young coaches would jump at the chance to coach at a club with West Coast’s resources.

But the quality of the list is a factor.

When Simpson took the role over from John Worsfold, the Eagles had just completed a nine-win season with a percentage of 95 and had Nic Naitanui, Jeremy McGovern, Luke Shuey, Andrew Gaff, Jack Darling, Josh Kennedy, Shannon Hurn, Jamie Cripps and Mark Lecras all at the club with Elliot Yeo arriving from Brisbane.

The current Eagles list has won eight games in almost three seasons.

They have a percentage of 68 this year and that is an improvement on last year.

The stars Simpson inherited are either finished or close to finishing.

Harley Reid aside, the next generation is not yet clear, just like the field of potential candidates for Pyke to talk to.

I think I figured out how the bible was written.

The book of Gbear
The book of TazD
The book of Dr feel
The book of Tribey
The book of So Brave
The book of Teekray
The book of shulzenfest

Etc...

It was based on a thread just like this

All chapter and verse
Edited by GremioPower

I don't think he's even a good rebuild coach. He inherited a lot of good players that were wilting away in a rotten system, with a coach who was out his depth, with hardly any support or fitness regime to speak of. The player who he inherited benefitted from a fully funded on field programme, and a fitness expert who got them outrunning teams. Hinkley did play a role in that he instituted the run and gun, never give up style of play in the first two years. But realising this wasn't enough, he'd simply been patching up the squad with missing puzzles. He always got the players required from list managers and was kissed by fortune by landing Rozee, Butters and Dursma, who seemed to be ready made players from day one. I maintain that if you give him a list like North Melbourne's or the current crop of WCE young players without senior support they'd be stuck down the bottom for more years than you can shake a stick at. Because remember, if he plays the younger, more inexperienced players, "I guarantee that the score would have been much worse."

In conclusion, he would be a perfect fit for West Coast Eagles. Please take him... NOW, don't wait, PLEASE.
Couldn't said it better myself.

I would not be so sure. Hinkley is a Victorian and outside of losing finals and a shit game plan his win/loss record is not too bad. Hinkley has a win record of 59.6% which is better than Clarkson, Hardwick, Lyon, Goodwin or Kingsley. You can never tell as Ross Lyon despite his shortcomings and lack of success seems to keep getting gigs.

Put up his win loss % against the top 8 teams , my guess is around10-20 %

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very good post. Genuine question for Port fans, has there been any time we have played finals in the last decade or so that you have felt confident Port could win the Premiership?

I know it is simple to say you need to make finals to win a Premiership, but you also need to win a minimum of three finals, and at least two of these are likely to be against teams that finish top four.

So over the course of a full season if you have a poor record against top eight teams (like we do) and an even more deplorable record against top four sides (which we do) it is highly unlikely you will get your act together and suddenly win three finals in a month.

It probably also explains why Port have only won two finals in nine years and lost their last three finals by an average of eight goals.

Our gameplan does not hold up in finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very good post. Genuine question for Port fans, has there been any time we have played finals in the last decade or so that you have felt confident Port could win the Premiership?

I know it is simple to say you need to make finals to win a Premiership, but you also need to win a minimum of three finals, and at least two of these are likely to be against teams that finish top four.

So over the course of a full season if you have a poor record against top eight teams (like we do) and an even more deplorable record against top four sides (which we do) it is highly unlikely you will get your act together and suddenly win three finals in a month.

It probably also explains why Port have only won two finals in nine years and lost their last three finals by an average of eight goals.

I was pretty confident we could in 2020…until we didnt

Agree with your post, but if you count the VFL as the precursor to the AFL, the 1984 VFL preliminary final stands alone. I can never forget it because it ended John Cahill's Victorian coaching experience.

Essendon 28.6 (174) d Collingwood 5.11 (41) a 133 point margin.

Jack reputedly took the players onto the ground later that night and asked them to show him the holes in the ground they fell into.

Maybe there's been a worse PF result, but I don't know about it.

I forgot the disclaimer of it being a home prelim. And there's also the factor of the doggies being confined to a hotel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forgot the disclaimer of it being a home prelim. And there's also the factor of the doggies being confined to a hotel

Absolutely, there's no doubt it was a shocking result which no one took responsibility for and the coaching group's response to it was Look over there, a spider!

The Sunday Footy Show dissected it with more clarity than

a) I thought possible
b) the club ever did

Apart from what looked like a really shoddy preparation, a number of players vapid efforts were clearly highlighted. Many of those players who are still here now and very well paid.

Here you go, I’ll write it.

Mark Duffield: The latest on West Coast’s search for a new coach as short list takes shape

West Coast is set to begin talks with its list of coaching candidates this week. MARK DUFFIELD takes you inside the process – and what might be putting a few off.

West Coast is set to step up its search for a senior coach later this week when it reaches out to the managers of coaching prospects and asks them for expressions of interest in the job.

Speculation might be swirling that Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley is in prime position for the job – or, for that matter, speculation had already swirled and died on the assumption that former club great Dean Cox was the favourite before he ruled himself out last week.

But the reality is that the Eagles – and the managers they are expected to be contacting – both insist there has been no action or interaction as yet.

The Eagles are understood to have formed a list of people they are interested in talking to. Now they want to start talking to them.

“We are getting ready to really get cracking on that. We have done our prelim work and now we are looking to start that up,” CEO Don Pyke said on Monday.

“I don’t really want to go into the detail. I don’t want to provide ongoing commentary on it or on who we are looking at.”

“The speculation has already started clearly. I am mindful of being respectful to those who we may contact or we may engage in conversations with.”

“There are a number of potential candidates out there.”

He said there were “possibly” candidates who may still be involved in the AFL season come finals time.

The club had also wanted to give people who might be interested in the job a couple of weeks to consider how serious they were after the departure of Adam Simpson.

“Those who might be thinking about it will hopefully have thought about it and now it is time to start to reach out to come people who we think it would be interesting to talk to,” Pyke said..”

“And I don’t know that number yet (how many candidates). We are still working through that.”

“It will be what it will be. We are mindful of timing. There are finals and there will be possible involvement in those.

“We have got a little bit of time but we don’t want to use all of that time. We want to be proactive and find the right person through the right process.”

The withdrawal of Cox from the race is significant because it is a reminder of the situation that West Coast find themselves in.

Normally a candidate serious about being a senior coach would chase a job when and where it is available. More so when the club is as well resourced as West Coast, more so again when the club is the one you played 290 games for and won a flag with.

But first-time coaches only get one shot at making it work. There is a feeling that with the Eagles list as it is, the one shot there might be a long shot – even for a club legend.

Former Eagle and current Carlton assistant Ash Hansen. It will be interesting to see how other former Eagles view it. Ash Hansen is well regarded, has coached successfully in his own right in the VFL at Footscray and is coaching as an assistant at a well-performed team in Carlton.

Jaymie Graham is at Fremantle, is equally well regarded in the industry and has also coached successfully, taking East Perth into WAFL finals before joining the Eagles coaching panel.

Collingwood assistant Scott Selwood, a past West Coast best-and-fairest winner, has been at Collingwood since 2019 in a variety of roles and has impressed the Magpies with his work in the coaches box – although some question whether his five-year coaching resume stacks up with those with longer coaching experience.

And there are others. Former Western Bulldog Daniel Giansiracusa has been a leading contender in other coaching selection processes.

But on Monday, Carr made it clear he was “here to stay in Adelaide”.

The reason why some view Hinkley as a good candidate is that he is 12 years into a coaching career, has seen preliminary final action more than once and may be prepared to “jump on the grenade” and do some of the hard yards in a rebuild without being concerned that he might be blowing up his one chance of being a senior coach.

Having lived and worked in a two team town fishbowl, Hinkley will also be familiar with the fierce focus that comes on West Coast.

But, at this point, he is still employed at another club and, at this point, that club is in the top eight and a chance to play finals.

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley. Normally young coaches would jump at the chance to coach at a club with West Coast’s resources.

But the quality of the list is a factor.

When Simpson took the role over from John Worsfold, the Eagles had just completed a nine-win season with a percentage of 95 and had Nic Naitanui, Jeremy McGovern, Luke Shuey, Andrew Gaff, Jack Darling, Josh Kennedy, Shannon Hurn, Jamie Cripps and Mark Lecras all at the club with Elliot Yeo arriving from Brisbane.

The current Eagles list has won eight games in almost three seasons.

They have a percentage of 68 this year and that is an improvement on last year.

The stars Simpson inherited are either finished or close to finishing.

Harley Reid aside, the next generation is not yet clear, just like the field of potential candidates for Pyke to talk to.

Hot For Ken.

Nope.
I think we were good enough to win it in 2014 and 2020 and good enough to make the grand final in 2021 (we would've been well beaten by Melbourne but they were a clear standout that year).

2014 didn't really think we would beat Hawthorn in the Prelim, but if we had managed to snag that then I would've rated us a good chance against the Swans.

2020, I thought we should make the Grand Final playing against a Richmond side we'd already beaten in Adelaide.
But I thought Geelong were going to punted out of the Finals by Brisbane and I didn't rate us beating Brisbane at the Gabba.

Would've rated us a good chance of win against Geelong. The win in the Finals being a better indicator than the earlier game against Geelong at Gold Coast.

2021, thought we should beat the Bulldogs in the Prelim. But thought we wouldn't get up against the Dees the next week.

Absolutely, there's no doubt it was a shocking result which no one took responsibility for and the coaching group's response to it was Look over there, a spider!

The Sunday Footy Show dissected it with more clarity than

a) I thought possible
b) the club ever did

Apart from what looked like a really shoddy preparation, a number of players vapid efforts were clearly highlighted. Many of those players who are still here now and very well paid.

Did they happen to question the role of the senior coach in this debacle? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they didn't.

Did they happen to question the role of the senior coach in this debacle? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they didn't.

For as much as I could bear to watch, it was focused on really soft player efforts.

2020 was our most balanced side IMO. A tad small in defence, though not the reason we ended up losing to Richmond in the PF.

Was also one of the few years under Hinkley where they kept the same personnel structure week in, week out. If a tall dropped out they were replaced by another tall. Same for a small. Most other years it has been a mismatch of Hinkley trying to fit all of his favourite players into the team at the expense of the balance and makeup of the squad.

2020 was our most balanced side IMO. A tad small in defence, though not the reason we ended up losing to Richmond in the PF.

People forget how good we were that year. You are absolutely correct that it was our most balanced side. We had good players in all positions and it was a nice sweet spot where the old guys could still do it and the young guys were good enough to give us some spark.

Our defence was ranked #1 in the league. Byrne-Jones (1st), Jonas (3rd) and McKenzie (5th) all placed top 5 in the B&F.

Our attack was ranked #2 in the league. Dixon was an All Australian. Robbie Gray was still a match winner on his day. Powell-Pepper and Butters were playing hybrid midfield/forward roles. Rozee and Motlop could bob up and kick a couple on their day too.

Engine room wasn't as skillful as it is now but it was much tougher. Boak placed 2nd in the Brownlow, Rockliff had his only really top quality season for us and Wines got better and better as the year went on after actually being left out of the Showdown team in round 2 and laying the groundwork for his Brownlow season that was to follow. Lycett was average but we had Ladhams as back up who could go forward and kick a goal and then hold his own in ruck.

Top of the table all season, percentage of 135, lost 3 games all season (one relatively competitively against Brisbane at the GABBA and one against a St Kilda team that kicked 12.1). Won our first final against Geelong and then blew it against Richmond who actually only managed 6 goals but somehow still beat us. A terrible missed opportunity.

Yep. We didn't know what we had with the key defensive setup of Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie. They were rock solid and did a great job for us and we didn't appreciate them because they were undersized.

Ultimately we lost that final because Scott Lycett wanted to come home and we obliged on a hefty pay packet for no real reason. If we ignore him and stick with Ryder as our first option we win that prelim in a canter.

Confident we could win a flag, not since 2014. You can't be confident that this coach can win in the finals.

Good enough to win a flag with the right coach who will adequately tactically and mentally prepare us for finals, 2014, 2020, 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back