Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah Jonas, Clurey & McKenzie was a stats mirage destined to go **** up in finals.

They didn't though? We conceded 46 points in that prelim against Lynch and Riewoldt despite getting an absolute bath at the stoppages, particularly the centre clearances where we couldn't get a +1.

What more could they have done?

I think I figured out how the bible was written.

The book of Gbear
The book of TazD
The book of Dr feel
The book of Tribey
The book of So Brave
The book of Teekray
The book of shulzenfest

Etc...

It was based on a thread just like this

All chapter and verse
The book of dirty is a good read... 🤔 Well when I say read it's mainly a picture book...

They didn't though? We conceded 46 points in that prelim against Lynch and Riewoldt despite getting an absolute bath at the stoppages, particularly the centre clearances where we couldn't get a +1.

What more could they have done?
You are narrowing it down to one final, look I still rate McKenzie the other two were potatoes.

Had we ever made a GF during Tigger Time Riewoldt & Lynch would've dined out.

It's quite amazing how many posts, pages and threads we've had about sacking Hinkley. I don't think other team supporter bases are just aware of how much our fans have been suffering until they take a closer look than what the media have been portraying us as.

I'm just glad that this is almost all over.
I'm praying & I'm not religious

I would not be so sure. Hinkley is a Victorian and outside of losing finals and a shit game plan his win/loss record is not too bad. Hinkley has a win record of 59.6% which is better than Clarkson, Hardwick, Lyon, Goodwin or Kingsley. You can never tell as Ross Lyon despite his shortcomings and lack of success seems to keep getting gigs.
Ross Lyon has 2 grand final appearances & very unlucky he's not a premiership coach. What he did with the Saints & Freo was impressive imo. However, I don't think he's at the top of his coaching game anymore.

Last edited:
I think we were good enough to win it in 2014 and 2020 and good enough to make the grand final in 2021 (we would've been well beaten by Melbourne but they were a clear standout that year).

2013 and 2017 we were solid but ultimately making up the numbers. 2023 we were not good enough to play finals by the time we got there and were always going out in straight sets.
Our midfield was not tough enough to win 2014. Hawthorn put the cue in the rack too early. Hawthorn were the superior team talent & toughness wise & continued to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only Ken Hinkley job offer I believe is the 2017 gold coast one. Nobody else is that dumb.
I would argue that the board wasn't dumb, it was just controlled by other parties that had interests outside the club as their priority. I'm sure they believe they met their (AFL) KPI's.

The 3 premierships in 5 years, yeh nah I won't try to defend the intelligence of that one :)
If you want a laugh/cry/rage/sigh/eyeroll, have another look at this:

1721727761866.png

To be fair, there is still one year to go, and if we sacked Hinkley we would hit 100,000 members easily.
The three premierships will be tricky though.

Last edited:
I would argue that the board wasn't dumb, it was just controlled by other parties that had interests outside the club as their priority. I'm sure they believe they met their (AFL) KPI's.

The CEO's 3 premierships in 5 years, yeh nah I won't try to defend the intelligence of that one :)
The 2017 end-season Gold Coast episode belonged solely to Koch. His personal enmity with Tony Cochrane took priority in his mind.

The 2017 end-season Gold Coast episode belonged solely to Koch. His personal enmity with Tony Cochrane took priority in his mind.
The beginning of the end.

Any head coach considering a 5 year rebuild project rather than chance to coach a side pressing for a flag was grounds for instant dismissal.

Jonas would be a 3 - 4 time all Australian back had he played for geelong. Think you are letting his last 2 seasons cloud your judgement.
We've certainly missed his & McKenzies leadership big time. Jonas got the max out of his ability for several years. Once he lost his pace he was done but always put his body on the line. Very courageous & selfless player as is McKenzie.

People forget how good we were that year. You are absolutely correct that it was our most balanced side. We had good players in all positions and it was a nice sweet spot where the old guys could still do it and the young guys were good enough to give us some spark.

Our defence was ranked #1 in the league. Byrne-Jones (1st), Jonas (3rd) and McKenzie (5th) all placed top 5 in the B&F.

Our attack was ranked #2 in the league. Dixon was an All Australian. Robbie Gray was still a match winner on his day. Powell-Pepper and Butters were playing hybrid midfield/forward roles. Rozee and Motlop could bob up and kick a couple on their day too.

Engine room wasn't as skillful as it is now but it was much tougher. Boak placed 2nd in the Brownlow, Rockliff had his only really top quality season for us and Wines got better and better as the year went on after actually being left out of the Showdown team in round 2 and laying the groundwork for his Brownlow season that was to follow. Lycett was average but we had Ladhams as back up who could go forward and kick a goal and then hold his own in ruck.

Top of the table all season, percentage of 135, lost 3 games all season (one relatively competitively against Brisbane at the GABBA and one against a St Kilda team that kicked 12.1). Won our first final against Geelong and then blew it against Richmond who actually only managed 6 goals but somehow still beat us. A terrible missed opportunity.

2020 should be deleted from memory the short quarters were feckin awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back