Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to seeing Kenny Hinkley break the all time VFL/AFL record for most games coached without making a Grand Final Saturday night against the Sydney Swans.
The same game Boak breaks the Ports player AFL games record. What a coincidence.

My problem is this club has broken me completely this year, that instead of hoping I'm wrong about Hinkley I've 100% embraced it and I'm actively hoping we'll lose every week. As such I've been disappointed in the last couple wins (Dogs & Blues) as the sugar hits mean zero, even if the Carlton game was exactly what us fans have been asking for. So if we made and won a GF from here, I'm not sure if I'd be too numb to enjoy it in any way, or I'd be so incredibly emotional as the relief of 20 years of waiting hits. Either way I'm 100% confident we aren't winning a flag anyway, so not something we'll need to worry about.

The concern of course is just Hinkley doing enough to stave off sacking again. That's the part we can't afford. So however shit we need to be to finally get a change happening is what I'm all in on.
This is how bad it is with good, traditional Port supporters who have loved the club since mini-league.

We could win a premiership this year and it would feel hollow.

I just can't believe I am writing that.

The soul has been ripped out of the club by the Four Frauds.

Ken and Koch took everything that is right and majestic and magnanimous about football and the PAFC and ruined it.

Can you imagine how horrible and smug these blokes would be if they jagged a premiership or even to get to one. Kenny would reach 20 years and Koch would be transitioning the chair to the West Coast 'disruptor'.

I just want enjoy the game, played the right way and have an Iced Coffee, have a meat pie with sauce and yell out a bit to the umpires and opposition. Is that too much to ask?

My problem is this club has broken me completely this year, that instead of hoping I'm wrong about Hinkley I've 100% embraced it and I'm actively hoping we'll lose every week. As such I've been disappointed in the last couple wins (Dogs & Blues) as the sugar hits mean zero, even if the Carlton game was exactly what us fans have been asking for. So if we made and won a GF from here, I'm not sure if I'd be too numb to enjoy it in any way, or I'd be so incredibly emotional as the relief of 20 years of waiting hits. Either way I'm 100% confident we aren't winning a flag anyway, so not something we'll need to worry about.

The concern of course is just Hinkley doing enough to stave off sacking again. That's the part we can't afford. So however shit we need to be to finally get a change happening is what I'm all in on.
Yeah, it's a bit like that for me too.
The club has sucked the defiant, rabid marrow from my bones, with the underachievement, the false dawns, plus the condescending, the downright contemptible and the patronising treatment of supporters.
Hope we can jag a flag, but as a supporter, I'm not sure I'll be over the moon.
So bloody sad.
:sadv1::madv1::cryv1:

400 games, no premierships and hasn't participated in a grand final in 30 years. Lol.
Are we celebrating his gloriou achievements with these statistics (amongst others) on this week's banner?
:roflv1::drunk:

Maybe we need someone with all the facts to place a Tweet on social media with all his "records" - for all the happy c's to ruminate over.

Win this weekend and we are 1 game off top spot with 6 other teams.

It's incredible how he manages these situations.

Lose this weekend and we could go tumbling down the ladder, what a world.

This. Although I've wanted the fraud gone for the last 5 years

Yeah they're unbelievably still around. Old fella at work is pro Ken, always just thinks no matter what the scenario is that Ken's doing a "pretty good job".

If we lose it's on the players every time.

I've tried to delve deeper with him but he just changes the subject and always keeps it surface level.

I just can't fathom how a loser bumpkin coach like Ken has such a devoted fan base, he's like Trump in that he could shoot someone on fifth avenue and they'd still support him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You've gotta play the happy clapper Uno reverse card.

Tell him he's not a real supporter if he can't support the players. If he doesn't like Travis Boak he should go support the Crows. That it's not the players fault that they haven't had the game plan.

If Port win the flag this year (ridiculously unlikely) every single one of you would be up and about. You're absolutely kidding yourself if you say that you wouldn't be frothing, regardless who's running the joint.
Quite possibly but I think the most important element is how bizarre it is to have your fanbase lose hope in your team.

How do you think Kenny and Kochie and Charlie are going to treat the supporters after a Grand Final win? They will be complete cutns about it all.

It's just yuck!!!

He's got his player's back publicly and is willing to stand up for him no matter who it pisses off.

Ken is the exact opposite. He will throw player's under the bus publicly to make himself look better and keep media friends.
Thanks for the answer, it was a legitimate question and I see your point. I saw it as two very different situations.

Most likely scenario now: we jag the 1 or 2 more wins needed to scrape into the finals, bomb out in the first week, high fives all round because it's such a herculean task just to make the 8. I thought the tough run home might do us a favour but eff me, the self-absorbed loser is going to do it again isn't he? :weary:

In regards to working with Port Adelaide Happy Clappers, you just need to take the good and the bad.

You can enjoy wins and have a bit of a cry when we lose and have a laugh when the Cows lose but you can't go super deep into anything.

Just take it for what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Port win the flag this year (ridiculously unlikely) every single one of you would be up and about. You're absolutely kidding yourself if you say that you wouldn't be frothing, regardless who's running the joint.
I've thought about this too and agree with you. However unlikely it may seem, it's a useful thought experiment to check your own arguments. I think most here would be over the moon but lament the (perhaps) inflated sense of achievement it might give the club's admin. To ram that point home... would the club be ok with another 12 years before we won another premiership, making it 2 in 24 years? I'd hate to hear them say "yes".

First day back at work after being overseas for a fortnight.

A new guy has started in the office - other colleagues have been telling me I'll like him because he's a Port fan (I was the only Port fan in my office). After one conversation I'm pretty confident I'm dealing with a pro-Ken happy clapper type.

Not sure this is going to be good for my work environment, another Crows supporter would've almost been preferable.

The answer to this is just to ask him what aspect of coaching Ken Hinkley is good at. Name one aspect.

I think there might be a couple of pro-Hinkley people at my workplace but myself and the other true believers have fostered an environment where expressing any positivity about Hinkley will start an argument they don't want to have.

As long as they sack Hinkley straight after.

I was convinced of that, until this year, when I sat through the Geelong, Hawthorn and Carlton games, etc without any excitement. I'm not saying I definitely wont get into it if we make a GF, but I am saying it feels different now, and investing myself into our fortunes has proven such a waste of time that I'm not even sure if I could do it if we made the GF anymore, as I don't believe in a million years we'd actually win it. So why believe in something when in your mind, there is no chance.

We need a new coach to change things up and open up the desire to want to believe in hope again.

I was just about to write "Ken, Kosch and Chris Davies would be insufferable if we won the flag this year." But you know what? Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know Ken personally. There's a small chance he understands everyone's frustration. We all want Port to win the flag. Unfortunately, in the absence of any real evidence that we will win a flag under Ken, we're all expected to "have faith" and we're called names and questioned for our lack of it.

Most likely scenario now: we jag the 1 or 2 more wins needed to scrape into the finals, bomb out in the first week, high fives all round because it's such a herculean task just to make the 8. I thought the tough run home might do us a favour but eff me, the self-absorbed loser is going to do it again isn't he? :weary:

No. Sides are getting banged up at the wrong end of the season and the wheels are falling off. Carlton, Swans, Melbourne. This is the tough draw and they're crippled with injury.

We get over Swans, Melbourne and beat the Crows we'd probably be playing Freo for a top 4 spot.

We are cursed to finish top 4 and play 2 finals and who sacks a coach who finished the minor round in 4th spot?

This is never going to end.

No. Sides are getting banged up at the wrong end of the season and the wheels are falling off. Carlton, Swans, Melbourne. This is the tough draw and they're crippled with injury.

We get over Swans, Melbourne and beat the Crows we'd probably be playing Freo for a top 4 spot.

We are cursed to finish top 4 and play 2 finals and who sacks a coach who finished the minor round in 4th spot?

This is never going to end.

If we beat Swans, Dees & Crows the Freo match would be inconsequential, we would already have top 4 locked. It would just be a matter of position in the 4.

Any likelihood of David Teague for forwards coach next season?
Has been successful in that role with Crows, Tigers and Blues, even if those sides weren't successful.
We would be a higher scoring side at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back