Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never questioned his passion and drive, my question around him was twofold - lack of a back up plan ...But realistically the penny should have dropped way before then.
This is one of (many) exhibits in the Case Against Ken yet you seem afford him the luxury of twice the period of time that Williams had to get that elusive flag

I've never questioned his passion and drive, my question around him was twofold - lack of a back up plan once his imitation of Pagan's Paddock was exposed and Tredrea was nullified by opposition teams, as North and the Toilet Ducks did with nauseating regularity - and his reluctance to use good performing SANFL players in key forward roles they were suited to as it would upset the above apple cart, preferring to either allow them to languish in the lower competition or fester on the list.
IMHO there was some redemption for this in 2004 when the use of a second key tall up forward ( Thurstans ) proved a valuable foil. But realistically the penny should have dropped way before then.

You can't possibly post this in earnest and also be in here defending Hinkley's record.

In Choco's 6th season, he won a flag. In Hinkley's 6th and 7th seasons, he ran a key forward line featuring no natural key forwards on more than 1 occasion.

I think you can be critical of Choco and ask whether we should have got 2 or even 3 flags out of that list...

But at the end of the day there are lots of great sides that don't get any at all. Port of 18/19/20 went empty-handed (and only even made finals in one of those seasons). Saints of 10-11 came up empty. Pies of the early 2000s, etc. They aren't easy to win and generally you need to be a really special coach to get it done, no matter how good the list is.

In Choco's 6th season, he won a flag. In Hinkley's 6th and 7th seasons, he ran a key forward line featuring no natural key forwards on more than 1 occasion.

That was bizarre.

Went into the 2014 and 2015 seasons with Schulz/Butcher as a tandem — and seemingly all summer planning was geared to recognising the importance of a forward line featuring two legitimate key pillars — and yet seemingly couldn’t wait for the faintest justification to revert to Schulz or bust, rather than persist with a reliable structure otherwise deemed to be pivotal to winning.

Then goes out and gets Dixon for season 2016, and Schulz’s back turns to ash in Round 1.

Cue a cobbled together rotation of Howard, Trengove, Westhoff, Ryder, Marshall and Watts as No. 2 behind an increasingly battered Dixon for the next umpteen years.

Now we’re seeing it again with Ratugolea drafted in to support Georgiades, which has been shockingly effective for now.

A Geelong supporter with Port Adelaide as his team on BigFooty, going into bat for Ken Hinkley but has a beef with Choco for playing a laundry list of obscure second tier players that some legit Port supporters would be hard pressed to remember, who uses an antiquated, heavily racist term, with a mild rant about PC wokeness to top it all off.

Did I accidentally overdose on my meds?
I feel like that melting monkey wondering about Freddie's Rhapsody.

The continual defense of Hinkley and his coaching non-abilities is rather amusing and seemingly neverending.
neverending story work GIF

Just curious, do you apply this same description to the games record holder at Port, Travis Boak?
Seeing as he is a blow in Victorian country potato from Torquay on the Great Ocean Road.

Surely he'd qualify as a loyal Port man now?

A loyal port man? Ken is anti-Port Adelaide. Everything about the bloke is the antithesis of our club. A failure, a con artist, a narcissist. Something that Choco has never been. Choco did a lot for our club, especially in the early years. To have a problem with Choco compared to Ken. Is utterly insane.

Last edited:
It's the same situation if you ignore the one variable which is different which coincidently is the only variable in which we are judging the quality of Hinkley versus Scott.

If Hinkley had coached 2 premierships at this point I'm pretty confident we wouldn't be on Sack Hinkley 11 and we wouldn't all be having these arguments with people

Ken Hinkley currently inhabits the same realm — a losing Prelim as high watermark — as:

Neil Craig
Terry Wheeler
Neil Balme
Danny Frawley
Chris Connolly
Peter Schwab
Dani Laidley
Brad Scott
Terry Wallace
Graham Cornes

And if he makes it one step further and loses a Grand Final, he’ll be on par with:

Gary Ayres
Stan Alves
Neale Daniher
Nathan Buckley
Ross Lyon
Chris Fagan
John Northey
Rodney Eade

And we’re seen as toxic ingrates for not carrying this bloke around shoulder-high after a record 12 years of hitting his head on the Week 3-ceiling as his absolute best.

High farce.

A Geelong supporter with Port Adelaide as his team on BigFooty, going into bat for Ken Hinkley but has a beef with Choco for playing a laundry list of obscure second tier players that some legit Port supporters would be hard pressed to remember, who uses an antiquated, heavily racist term, with a mild rant about PC wokeness to top it all off.

Is Taper running a burner account?

Ken Hinkley currently inhabits the same realm — a losing Prelim as high watermark — as:

Neil Craig
Terry Wheeler
Neil Balme
Danny Frawley
Chris Connolly
Peter Schwab
Dani Laidley
Brad Scott
Terry Wallace
Graham Cornes

And if he makes it one step further and loses a Grand Final, he’ll be on par with:

Gary Ayres
Stan Alves
Neale Daniher
Nathan Buckley
Ross Lyon
Chris Fagan
John Northey
Rodney Eade

And we’re seen as toxic ingrates for not carrying this bloke around shoulder-high after a record 12 years of hitting his head on the Week 3-ceiling as his absolute best.

High farce.

Now see, if you want to stay ahead of gbear you need to break that up into multiple posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replace Lighthouse with Bell and it will all start to make sense.

I think you can be critical of Choco and ask whether we should have got 2 or even 3 flags out of that list...

But at the end of the day there are lots of great sides that don't get any at all. Port of 18/19/20 went empty-handed (and only even made finals in one of those seasons). Saints of 10-11 came up empty. Pies of the early 2000s, etc. They aren't easy to win and generally you need to be a really special coach to get it done, no matter how good the list is.
But for a Barry Breen point, St. Kilda might still be waiting for their first flag.

You can't possibly post this in earnest and also be in here defending Hinkley's record.

That's cos he hasn't got the cattle M8!

Gee it sure would be horrible if Port lost on Thursday....would put Kenny under so much more pressure and have him one step closer to being out the door.......

View attachment 2097116

If you could have just beaten us on your dung heap after we'd coughed up a 50 point lead, he might have been gone already instead of doing little jigs like it was the bEsT WiN eVa

A loyal port man? Ken is anti-Port Adelaide. Everything about the bloke is the antithesis of our club. A failure, a con artist, a narcissist. Something that Choco has never been. Choco did a lot for our club, especially in the early years. To have a problem with Choco compared to Ken. Is utterly insane.
The loyal Port man question was posed regarding Travis Boak, not Hinkley.
Get your point but have to pick you up on one thing: Williams not a narcissist? Err, you sure about that?

I can appreciate my sentiments on this subject might not be well received here but I really don't think descending into personal comment is necessary.
So let's just knock this on the head. I wasn't intending to cause a bunfight, just contribute to the discussion.

a. I have referred to the issue with the team on profile in a few early posts, it is some some sort of systems glitch I don't know how to correct.
So, I am a Geelong supporter, with a lot of respect for PA, many PA friends and a keen interest in PA and also having known the Boak family since teen years. I view Port as a sort as ' sister club ' now I reside in SA. If anyone knows how to fix the club issue, let me know.

b. I am not going into bat for Hinkley at all. Merely playing devil's advocate and using a historical example of abject failure as a comparison.
While I understand that you guys view things in very strict terms - success equates to premierships - and this means you have a legitimate reason to be pissed at Hinkley and I get that, I kind of feel there is a general inability to have an objective view towards another long serving coach who can also be reasonably viewed as a failure given his record which should have been far better given the tools he had to work with, simply because he is part of a club dynasty.
I get that, to a degree, many Geelong people have the same attitude to Bob Davis and Bill Goggin, to name two.
I'd be very interested to read your opinions on Jack Cahill, who I think was unfairly removed after just two short years and some tremendous progress in your formative years.

c. The fact I can quote names of players most supporters wouldn't remember should prove that I have a pretty fair idea of what I'm talking about in relation to PA's history at this level, not just some blow in shooting their mouth off.

d. Regarding antiquated terms and PC rants - you have your views on that, obviously they differ from mine. Such is life. I believe such subjects belong on society and politics board, if that still exists.

Point taken, Hinkley is universally unpopular with PA supporters and they want him out. I do get the sentiment behind this but I think the greater problem lies with the club's admin, particularly Koch, whose lack of spine in dealing with the Houston issue was really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back