Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

You recently flogged Freo, who just beat Sydney - I'd say you're doing OK.

And struggled to get over North. But don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to help you guys out.
Anyway, I'll leave you all to it, I don't want to end up on GremioPower's list of top contributors!

Best of luck with the Hinkley situation.

Jimmy Fallon No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I could go in to detail on injuries and gameplan etc.

But in short, when someone has been there 3-5 years and come off a low base, they deserve time to get there. They're still working with an inherited list and there are still fluctuations.

Its once youve been there 8+ years that a grand final appearance is the absolute minimum expectation. 10+ years its flag or **** off. In your 12th year the only acceptable result is back to back flags.

No coach should ever survive more than 8 years with no success.

That’s their big mistake. The Johnny-come-latelys and a generation of kids with 10 second attention spans will not hang around when the inevitable slide comes. Banking on them is stupid and short sighted and it will bite them on the arse.

They are burning their core supporter base, for being right mind you, and they don’t care. Yet.

Koch will 1000% dip out just as we're about to have another slide, and the media are too ****ing stupid to blame him for salting the earth to make it much more difficult for us to ride out a rebuild.

I could go in to detail on injuries and gameplan etc.

But in short, when someone has been there 3-5 years and come off a low base, they deserve time to get there. They're still working with an inherited list and there are still fluctuations.

Its once youve been there 8+ years that a grand final appearance is the absolute minimum expectation. 10+ years its flag or **** off. In your 12th year the only acceptable result is back to back flags.

No coach should ever survive more than 8 years with no success.

Reading the posts from back then (and, yes, I did), it’s interesting how people pointed out list mistakes, game-plan problems, and specially the “vanillarization” of the club. It all ended up getting confirmed later on.

I'd have...

2013: A
2014: A
2015: B
2016: B
2017: B
2018: D
2019: F-
2020: F
2021: F
2022: F
2023: F
2024: F

I really don't know how you can give 2015 a B. We entered the season as premiership favourites and missed the 8. Hinkley got found out hard and didn't (and we now know couldn't) adapt. The lack of bounceback in 2016 is just as bad. The laughable inability to beat anyone in the top 8 in 2017 arguably just as bad again.

I'd also give 2020 a C+, but that's mostly because of how low the bar was set coming into the season.

With all due respect, I think you're the one with zero awareness here. Kane knows. He doesn't care.

His job is not to make factual and logically sound and consistent arguments, his job is to drive engagement. Positive or negative, doesn't matter. Every time you read or comment on a Kane Cornes article or video, even if that comment is 'you have no idea Cornes you dickhead', he wins and you lose.
It's the difference between lies and bullshit.

A liar knows what the truth is, and cares enough to hide it.
A bullshitter just doesn't care what is true. Truth or falsity is irrelevant to the goal they are trying to achieve (reach, entertainment, influence, power, whatever). They say whatever will help them achieve that goal.

Reading the posts from back then (and, yes, I did), it’s interesting how people pointed out list mistakes, game-plan problems, and specially the “vanillarization” of the club. It all ended up getting confirmed later on.

We were doing it in early 2014, particularly about the forward structure. We were just getting shouted down because we were winning.

Too high.

The Showdown and the EF loss don’t allow a C.
I'd do C- maybe.

We finished 5th, one Dixon play on call away from 2nd. It was a reasonable year from where we had been, we just choked. Ultimately that's a dissapointment, but it was an improvement and as such a C is about the range.

Last edited:
I really don't know how you can give 2015 a B. We entered the season as premiership favourites and missed the 8. Hinkley got found out hard and didn't (and we now know couldn't) adapt. The lack of bounceback in 2016 is just as bad. The laughable inability to beat anyone in the top 8 in 2017 arguably just as bad again.

I'd also give 2020 a C+, but that's mostly because of how low the bar was set coming into the season.
I think you give a bloke the benefit of the doubt in his third season when his first two seasons have him winning finals.

We built a paper cannon in 2013, great at its peak but no depth. Once injuries came in 2015 it made sense to take a step backwards. 2016 we didnt have a ruckman as the AFL screwed us.

Im lenient and trusting until someone proves they cant be trusted. There was more evidence of good than bad for me in those years.

I think you give a bloke the benefit of the doubt in his third season when his first two seasons have him winning finals.

We built a paper cannon in 2013, great at its peak but no depth. Once injuries came in 2015 it made sense to take a step backwards. 2016 we didnt have a ruckman as the AFL screwed us.

Im lenient and trusting until someone proves they cant be trusted. There was more evidence of good than bad for me in those years.

I was definitely much more positive in those years despite the frustrations, you figured we would probably do something as opposed to sitting on our hands for the next 9 years. Your graph basically reads as a rating of my feelings about Hinkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were doing it in early 2014, particularly about the forward structure. We were just getting shouted down because we were winning.

Dropping John Butcher and replacing him with Sam Gray for the visit of Brisbane in early 2014 was a portent of nothing good.

I did not have sexual relations with that thread.
What does Bill Clinton hate hearing most during sex? "Hi honey - I'm home."

Sorry - getting off track here......

Dropping John Butcher and replacing him with Sam Gray for the visit of Brisbane in early 2014 was a portent of nothing good.

Canary in the coal mine, that particular selection. I complained, boy oh boy did I complain, and people laughed at me. Well who is laughing now? Ken Hinkley after a big game loss, that's who.

On another note I'm reading is Brett Montgomery looks likely to join the crows from GWS!
If true another good mind that left a hinkly driven mess has been lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back