Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole Cornes sacking had to have more to it.

They were flag favourites in ‘94, started the season like a house on fire, including a Round 1 obliteration of fellow flag fancy Carlton the same night a young West Adelaide player by the name of Matthew Nicks was coward-punched in a neo-Nazi rampage (see image),

View attachment 2093905

And despite being 3rd (4-2) after six games, plummeted to miss the eight entirely, finishing a meagre 11th. And that was that.

The ‘great’ Graham Cornes sacked at the relatively tender age of 46.

46? As a kid I thought he was about 62

It seems like three scenarios are going to play out for Ken this finals.

We win the Grand Final and everyone is happy. Ken gets extended for years.
We lose in the Grand Final and Ken is extended for years.
We don't make the Grand Final and Ken is skating on thin ice.

The more the players are stepping up with sheer grit and will, the less I notice Hinkley.

Houston and Fazz are big outs so no idea if we beat Geelong, Hinks must be filthy at the cards he’s been dealt, after all it’s his job on the line right Chewy316

We aren’t really talked about by the VIC media, as much as they love to tell us Kenny is great, they also wouldn’t put $1.00 on us winning the flag.

The more the players are stepping up with sheer grit and will, the less I notice Hinkley.

Houston and Fazz are big outs so no idea if we beat Geelong, Hinks must be filthy at the cards he’s been dealt, after all it’s his job on the line right Chewy316

We aren’t really talked about by the VIC media, as much as they love to tell us Kenny is great, they also wouldn’t put $1.00 on us winning the flag.

Job is definitely still on the line.
His job security going forward always was predicated on how the team performed in finals. A few months ago, it seemed clear that they were making up the numbers at best. Now, they're a contender.
But the performance since the Brisbane game means nothing if they have a bad finals series.

Let's see how the next few weeks pan out.

It seems like three scenarios are going to play out for Ken this finals.

We win the Grand Final and everyone is happy. Ken gets extended for years.
We lose in the Grand Final and Ken is extended for years.
We don't make the Grand Final and Ken is skating on thin ice.

I honestly have the gut feeling that if Port win the premiership this season then Kenny will step down on good terms, possibly taking another role in Port (if it's true that Kochie might be looking at a job in the AFL?)

Also that Boaky would retire too.

Otherwise if they just make preliminary or GF then they will see out the last year of ken's contract and hand over.

Job is definitely still on the line.
His job security going forward always was predicated on how the team performed in finals. A few months ago, it seemed clear that they were making up the numbers at best. Now, they're a contender.
But the performance since the Brisbane game means nothing if they have a bad finals series.

Let's see how the next few weeks pan out.
I like when you talk dirty!

I honestly have the gut feeling that if Port win the premiership this season then Kenny will step down on good terms, possibly taking another role in Port (if it's true that Kochie might be looking at a job in the AFL?)

Also that Boaky would retire too.

Otherwise if they just make preliminary or GF then they will see out the last year of ken's contract and hand over.
Has a headcoach ever stepped down and had another role at that same club ever? Why do people believe this will happen. I don't think he will.

Let's face it, he's in a strong position right now. Win the first final and I reckon he'd only need a competitive performance in the prelim to keep his job. Barring straight sets or a prelim meltdown (both of which are possible, mind you), he's going to be coach next year.

Let's face it, he's in a strong position right now. Win the first final and I reckon he'd only need a competitive performance in the prelim to keep his job. Barring straight sets or a prelim meltdown (both of which are possible, mind you), he's going to be coach next year.
Sack Hinkley

I think even if we straight set it he’ll be coach next year now

Reckon we're going to get the Swans in the Grandfinal and it'll be a re-run of our finish in 2021. Smashed them in season only to cop a smashing in the final. Worst result for the club but the best result for Kens job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I won't come back to this thread until the end of finals whenever that may be, so I'll just say this:

Ken Hinkley has all the winning momentum and we have timed our form run extremely well this time, but we are now missing our two greatest kicks on the team in Houston and Farrell, and while I don't think SPP or Finlayson will prevent us from winning a premiership, it does challenge our depth at least somewhat.
So basically if we were winning the premiership this year we would ACTUALLY be winning it with an inferior list to what we had in both 2014 and 2021 imo.
And if a 1st or 2nd year Josh Carr was coaching the team then I'd happily excuse us for falling short of a flag with the absentees, but this is a 12 year Ken Hinkley so any excuse is futile considering the occasions where he DID have a healthy list to win it all.

I will say with 100% certainty that if Ken wins a premiership this year that I will happily switch up and throw my support around him in celebration, but we KNOW how this ends, we've seen it too many times to be optimistic, and while I am not going to actively discourage him, I simply cannot entrust that he will get it done. And while he might not be the only one to blame for falling short, he will inevitably be at the center of it.

Im Back Wake Up GIF

The real test for Ken starts now, we've seen this storyline before, will it be straight sets again or the GF.
Even if we beat Geelong next week, it'll be nothing we haven't seen before. The game on September 5 is merely a stepping stone towards the real test.

The last 4-5 weeks of footy has been some of the most "port adelaide" footy I've seen us play under Ken, mature, hard at it, smart and very finals worthy.

Also noted the change in Ken's demeanor, much more subdued, job not done, speaking matter of factly.

For the first time in a long long time I'm actually very proud of what this team has been putting out....consistently.

Is it too long a bow to draw to say that either the booing, Tredrea, or both, have had an effect on Ken, the accountability and the team?

Media absolutely poo poo it when it's been brought up, and I suppose we'll never really know either way, but I don't think it's fanciful to say.

The media (really mainly Cornes and Whateley) are insane. Cornes went asked how the people who booed Hinkley could rock up the game next Friday and cheer. He's willfully ignorant at this point. There's no way he doesn't know that people's issues stem way wider and further than the current season. He knows the real test starts now. Even bloody Ken acknowledged that.

We have the list clearly. Flag or sack. Simple.
I was informed by a Fremantle fan (of all people) earlier today that this is the weakest squad assembled under Hinkley, which apparently makes our second placed finish to the minor round even more remarkable. 🥴

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back