Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boak probably stayed out of loyalty to his mates not 'the club'. But he still made the decision to stay knowing deep down he was passing up on field success, the extra financial incentives that come with playing for a successful Victorian club and the obvious of living close to his family. He deserves some credit for that.
He would've taken a hair cut to play for Geelong compared to what he earned here they are known for taking less to keep the band together & they had stars galore to balance on their books, a part time media gig perhaps would have negated the cost of living difference to Adelaide not much else lets not get dramatic.

Weird, I think most Wingard haters think the exact opposite. That he lost the passion for the game and focused too much on off field crap like video games.

There were zero concerns with Wingard and his output until Shirtless McHimbo returned from GWS at the end of 2015, convinced a guy who had collected a Showdown Medal, B&F, MOTY & 2 All-Australian guernseys in the past three seasons needed to train, live and breathe footy like him.

Should have traded him out years ago.

He’s also a role model. We want our players to be more like Boak. His presence is important for that alone. This needs to be taken into account as well.

We want our players to be more like Boak.
That depends. If it's in regard to training standards and getting the absolute most out of themselves, I agree. If it's in regard to shanking regulation set shots at crucial moments, I want them to be nothing like Boak.

Anyway, gone too far off topic. Sack Hinkley.

Again , I reiterate, the loyal Port man comment was in relation to Boak, not Hinkley.
I'm well aware Hinkley isn't and won't ever be considered part of the inner sanctum and I know first hand the huge sacrifice Travis made to stay with Port, knowing the close family bond and the pull to go home to a close knit club and community at Torquay.

To address your other post re: Wingard, yes, he was talented, but from the POV of an outsider, and many others outside the PA inner sanctum, he was seen as a ' showboater ' and someone who had developed an opinion that he was bigger than the club, and this detrimentally affected his onfield performances and those of the players around him, and the club suffered as a result. So IMHO to trade him out was a good move and in keeping with the PA ethos. Interesting to note that neither Clarkson, nor Mitchell, has been able to do anything with him, and I'm sure you'd agree their coaching pedigrees far surpass Hinkley's.

Imagine being a Hinkley defender after 12 years and openly stating that Mitchell has a better coaching pedigree.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You wanna tell me the bloke who headed the club during the career of possibly the most naturally talented footballer to put on a Port Adelaide jumper, maybe ever, gets the most out of the players? When this same player got carted off the second shit started going sour?
I wouldnt say things ever went sour with Butcher, he is still on good terms with Port.

Please give examples of choco being a narcissist?
There's not enough bandwidth on the site, mate.
Look up the 9 diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder in the DSM 5 clinical manual. ( edited for accuracy )

Tell you what, I'll give you a starting point:
* Excessive histrionics - grabbing one's tie and performing a mock throttling action, and yelling "Allan Scott, you were wrong" .
See how many others you can identify.

Last edited:
This single point forms perhaps my biggest critique of Williams' coaching.
Williams was very single minded in his ' Tredrea or bust ' game plan, despite having some pretty handy key forwards on the list during his tenure who could have been that reliable second pillar, and it was proven time and time again that it would not stand up when it counted.

I recall a game at the MCG in his first season against North when Port went in with Tredrea and Lockwood in tandem, they completely bamboozled the North defence and kicked ( I think ) 10 between them and Port lost by a goal, arguably attributed to a very dodgy free in the last minute to Peter Bell which was the difference.
For some weird reason the very next week Lockwood was dropped and never played again, and suffered a career ending back injury playing at Centrals, if my memory is correct.

This seemed to be a constant pattern, try it out for a week when one of the other forwards blitzed it in the SANFL, then when they proved to be a handy second pillar and outshone or complemented Tredrea, they were dropped straight back.

Zzzzzzzz…… like who frecking cares what happens in Nineteen ticky two and Bowen bloody Lockwood.

What counts and only matters is premierships.

Mark Williams is a Premiership player and coach with Port Adelaide.

Mark Williams is the ONLY coach to win a premiership for Port Adelaide in our history on the national stage.

The end and now bugger off

There were zero concerns with Wingard and his output until Shirtless McHimbo returned from GWS at the end of 2015, convinced a guy who had collected a Showdown Medal, B&F, MOTY & 2 All-Australian guernseys in the past three seasons needed to train, live and breathe footy like him.

I don’t see a problem with taking footy & your fitness seriously, it’s only 5-10 year commitment if you’re lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zzzzzzzz…… like who frecking cares what happens in Nineteen ticky two and Bowen bloody Lockwood.

What counts and only matters is premierships.

Mark Williams is a Premiership player and coach with Port Adelaide.

Mark Williams is the ONLY coach to win a premiership for Port Adelaide in our history on the national stage.

The end and now bugger off
Okay.
So long as you're prepared to acknowledge that if you win it this year, that makes Hinkley his equal in terms of premierships won per years served as coach on the national stage.
That seems to be the crux of the argument.

Okay.
So long as you're prepared to acknowledge that if you win it this year, that makes Hinkley his equal in terms of premierships won per years served as coach on the national stage.
Hinkley is in his 12th year. The argument became irrelevant 6 years ago. Give it up. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:
Hinkley is in his 12th hear. The argument became irrelevant 6 years ago. Give it up. You're just embarrassing yourself.
If you say so. It's people like you perpetuating the dispute. I've said several times I'm not defending Hinkley, merely making a comparison. If you don't know the difference, that isn't my issue.

Explaining Come On GIF

Are you quoting me as saying Hinkley isn't a narcissist? If so can you please post a quote?
I didn't say that. I'm sure both you and I can read that you did not say that.

You assert that Williams is a narcissist based on his past behaviours and yet laud Hinkley, despite the latter demonstrating similar behaviours.

Last edited:
Okay.
Hinkley is in his 12th hear. The argument became irrelevant 6 years ago. Give it up. You're just embarrassing yourself.
Mark Williams = 1 premiership in 6 years
Ken Hinkley = (hypothetically) 1 premiership in 12 (twice as many) years

How on earth does that make Hinkley Williams' equal (even hypothetically)?

I didn't say that. I'm sure both you and I can't read that you did not say that.

You assert that Williams is a narcissist based on his past behaviours and yet laud Hinkley, despite the latter demonstrating similar behaviours.
Sorry , but I'm not aware of any post where I have lauded Hinkley either, merely mentioned a premiership at a Tier 1 AFL Barwon club which I have been advised is irrelevant in this discussion and I have accepted that.
I have simply made a comparison between his coaching performance over the journey as being - in my opinion - no worse than a previous coach who served for the same number of seasons for minimal success but who - again in my opinion - had many more weapons in his arsenal but failed to use them correctly to bring the success you should have had.
Not sure how your logic works, but in my logic that doesn't equate to lauding Hinkley. Nor does it equate to hating Williams, it is merely a football opinion. Which I am happy to debate when things are kept in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back