Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

If Koch really loved port Adelaide, Josh Carr would be coach in 2024 and Ken would be on his way back to Victoria.

Compare the pair:

Coach 1:
  • 11 years at the one Club as senior coach
  • 141-93 record in the home and away season
  • 5-5 record in finals
  • 3 top 4 finishes at the end of the home and away season
  • 1 minor premiership
  • 47% win rate in Showdowns
  • 5 finals appearances (soon to be 6)
  • 3 preliminary final appearances
  • 0 grand final appearances
  • 0 premierships

Coach 2:
  • 12 years at the one Club as senior coach
  • 142-112 record in the home and away season
  • 8-9 record in finals
  • 5 top 4 finishes at the end of the home and away season
  • 3 minor premierships
  • 56% win rate in Showdowns
  • 7 finals appearances
  • 4 preliminary final appearances
  • 2 grand final appearances
  • 1 premiership

Coach 1 is Hinkley. Coach 2 is Choco.

Koch has ZERO right to say that Hinkley is the most successful coach in Port's AFL history. It is an embarrassment and shows exactly how blind and oblivious Koch is.

There are no ifs and or buts about it. He's got to go.

Right now getting rid of him is near impossible. But he has made his bed tying himself to Hinkley in spite of no urgency to do so prior to September. If Port s**t the bed as many of us expect in this finals series, I'll be shocked if there isn't at least someone of high profile in the Port Adelaide Network who will challenge Koch and the Board with a ticket of their own to replace all of the No-Hopers.

The ultimate disaster for Koch would be to see Port finish 2nd or 3rd, lose in week 1 of the finals and then get knocked out in the 2nd week of the finals against 7th placed Adelaide. That scenario happens and the pitchforks will be out in earnest.
Hinkley’s win/loss rate in showdowns doesn’t get enough attention.
It’s poor.

To be fair you should include win/loss records in both home and away and finals. Otherwise it makes us no better than Kochie by selecting our stats.

Home and away
Choco just under 12 seasons, Ken into his 11th.

Home and away comparison
Ken - 60.26%
141 wins 93 losses from total of 234 matches

Choco - 55.86%
142 wins 2 draws 112 losses from total of 256 matches

Finals
Ken - 50.00%
5 wins 5 losses from 10 appearances

Choco - 47.06%
8 wins 9 losses from 17 appearances.

Stats are just numbers though, on numbers, I'd have the count 8-3 in Chocos favour.

Choco's 8 years from 1999-2007 over Ken's record. I always rated the finish as 2000 as being the springboard to 2001-2004.

Ken gets 3 for not bottoming out like 2008-2010.

That's just looking at pure stats, go into efficiency use of resources, not taking any prisons etc, hard calls like Nick Stevens non trade etc. Choco by the length of a grey hound straight.

Being a darling of the media, Kenny miles ahead of Choco
To be fair, Choco never had the benefit of Adelaide oval, 60,000 members, upgraded facilities and a board and Chairman licking his arse, also because Ken is Victorian the media love him, so there's that.
Ken has also had Robbie Gray, now Rozee, JHF and Butters saving his job.

Dont know why I am getting port emails. Probbably have my email still from 2003 when I was a member so my wife wasnt going on her own. Then we flicked to Cat 1 AAMi

Dear Members & Supporters,  

I hope you and your families are well.

It’s been a big week at Alberton, so I wanted to write to you to give some more detail on some key announcements we’ve made in recent days.

Ken Hinkley Signs Two Year Deal

This week we confirmed that Ken Hinkley will continue as our AFL Senior Coach for at least a further two seasons.  

At the start of the year, we provided Ken and the program the space and time to coach and perform without speculation or distraction.  

Across the season we have seen strong progression and development of our playing group, and the football program has continued to evolve and improve. 

Ken has reshaped our playing list several times across the last decade, coaching for now and for the future. His support of our list management strategy has been instrumental in shaping our current group.

He has built a connection with the playing group that is very real and powerful, and it is clear our players have bought into Ken’s vision.
  
Confirming Ken’s extension at this stage of the season provides the players and coaches with certainty and confidence leading into September. 

Certainty for what we are aiming to achieve now is important, and certainty for the future is of equal importance as we chase continual improvement of our playing list and program.

With our third top four finish from the past four seasons secure, we now have a strong platform to attack September.

Finals and a top four finish aren’t the pass mark at Port Adelaide. We are all on the same page with this and know the ultimate measure of success are Premierships.

There is a saying on the walls at Alberton, “players win the ball, teams win games, and clubs win Premierships”. To win, you need an outstanding program with great people, with everyone playing their role.

Our football program is far more than just the senior coach. Yes, Ken is the figure head, but we have a football program underpinned by outstanding assistant and development coaches, an elite high-performance program and an expert list management team supporting Ken and the playing group to give us the best chance of success.

All-Time Membership Record

This week we announced an all-time club membership record of 64,817 and counting.  

This record number simply would not be possible without you, our highly valued and appreciated members, and is a true testament to your passionate support of our club – thank you. 

To achieve our ambitious growth targets of reaching 100,000 members and build the next generation of Port Adelaide we need to do two important things. 

The first is to ensure we retain and grow our existing membership, building lifetime value and connections.  

And then we must attract new fans and supporters to Port Adelaide who ultimately become our members of the future.  

I am pleased to say we’ve experienced significant momentum on both fronts this year. Our membership number is pushing towards 70,000 before the end of this season and we’ve welcomed thousands of new Port Adelaide people to our home games this year.  

Our average home match attendance is at a five-year high of 37,083, with almost 100,000 tickets sold so far this season with one game remaining.  

A large percentage of those ticket sales are new people, representing an exciting future member opportunity for the club.  

Thank you to all of you.

AFLW

The upcoming season of the AFLW competition starts in just a couple weeks .  

Last Saturday at Alberton we played Greater Western Sydney in our first pre-season match, and there were some extremely encouraging signs in our five-goal win.
  
This Friday night we play St Kilda in our second pre-season hit out at Alberton Oval under lights, starting at 7pm.  

It’s a non-ticketed free event and is a great opportunity for members and fans to come and enjoy the magnificent new social club and experience night footy at Alberton Oval.

AFLW membership provides access to all ten home and away games this season, including Showdown II in Round 1 at Norwood Oval on Saturday, 2 September.  

We’d love your support to help us push past 70,000 members in 2023.  

We’re In a Strong Position.

With our AFL finals campaign approaching and the upcoming AFLW season about to kick off, we have a lot to look forward to in the back end of 2023.

Announcing our all-time membership record with strong indications we’re building the next generation of our Port Adelaide community, in addition to strong growth of 22% in our average home game attendance shows promising signs for our ambitious growth goals.

Our commitment to building long-term generational partnerships is on track, and the Alberton Oval precinct is being transformed with completion slated for the end of this year.

There’s a lot to be positive about at Port Adelaide . We are stronger together and I thank you for your support.

Cheers,
Richo

Dont know why I am getting port emails. Probbably have my email still from 2003 when I was a member so my wife wasnt going on her own. Then we flicked to Cat 1 AAMi

It’s been a big week at Alberton, so I wanted to write to you to give some more detail on some key announcements we’ve made in recent days.

This week we confirmed that Ken Hinkley will continue as our AFL Senior Coach for at least a further two seasons.  

At the start of the year, we provided Ken and the program the space and time to coach and perform without speculation or distraction.  

Across the season we have seen strong progression and development of our playing group, and the football program has continued to evolve and improve. 

Ken has reshaped our playing list several times across the last decade, coaching for now and for the future. His support of our list management strategy has been instrumental in shaping our current group.

He has built a connection with the playing group that is very real and powerful, and it is clear our players have bought into Ken’s vision.
  
Confirming Ken’s extension at this stage of the season provides the players and coaches with certainty and confidence leading into September. 

Certainty for what we are aiming to achieve now is important, and certainty for the future is of equal importance as we chase continual improvement of our playing list and program.

With our third top four finish from the past four seasons secure, we now have a strong platform to attack September.

Finals and a top four finish aren’t the pass mark at Port Adelaide. We are all on the same page with this and know the ultimate measure of success are Premierships.

There is a saying on the walls at Alberton, “players win the ball, teams win games, and clubs win Premierships”. To win, you need an outstanding program with great people, with everyone playing their role.

Our football program is far more than just the senior coach. Yes, Ken is the figure head, but we have a football program underpinned by outstanding assistant and development coaches, an elite high-performance program and an expert list management team supporting Ken and the playing group to give us the best chance of success.

This week we announced an all-time club membership record of 64,817 and counting.  

This record number simply would not be possible without you, our highly valued and appreciated members, and is a true testament to your passionate support of our club – thank you. 

To achieve our ambitious growth targets of reaching 100,000 members and build the next generation of Port Adelaide we need to do two important things. 

The first is to ensure we retain and grow our existing membership, building lifetime value and connections.  

And then we must attract new fans and supporters to Port Adelaide who ultimately become our members of the future.  

I am pleased to say we’ve experienced significant momentum on both fronts this year. Our membership number is pushing towards 70,000 before the end of this season and we’ve welcomed thousands of new Port Adelaide people to our home games this year.  

Our average home match attendance is at a five-year high of 37,083, with almost 100,000 tickets sold so far this season with one game remaining.  

A large percentage of those ticket sales are new people, representing an exciting future member opportunity for the club.  

Thank you to all of you.

AFLW

Last Saturday at Alberton we played Greater Western Sydney in our first pre-season match, and there were some extremely encouraging signs in our five-goal win.
  
This Friday night we play St Kilda in our second pre-season hit out at Alberton Oval under lights, starting at 7pm.  

It’s a non-ticketed free event and is a great opportunity for members and fans to come and enjoy the magnificent new social club and experience night footy at Alberton Oval.

AFLW membership provides access to all ten home and away games this season, including Showdown II in Round 1 at Norwood Oval on Saturday, 2 September.  

With our AFL finals campaign approaching and the upcoming AFLW season about to kick off, we have a lot to look forward to in the back end of 2023.

Announcing our all-time membership record with strong indications we’re building the next generation of our Port Adelaide community, in addition to strong growth of 22% in our average home game attendance shows promising signs for our ambitious growth goals.

Our commitment to building long-term generational partnerships is on track, and the Alberton Oval precinct is being transformed with completion slated for the end of this year.

There’s a lot to be positive about at Port Adelaide . We are stronger together and I thank you for your support.

Cheers,
Richo

The weakest and worst CEO in Port history.

Just walked into the lounge room and my partner was wondering why I started yelling at the tv. It was channel 7news sports report she had it on and they replayed that vial Koch speech. She is still learning about footy and doesn't understand why I hate him and the coach so much. On a lighter note they interviewed Keane from the crows and I didn't understand a word he said although I understood him more than Tex

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, Choco never had the benefit of Adelaide oval, 60,000 members, upgraded facilities and a board and Chairman licking his arse, also because Ken is Victorian the media love him, so there's that.
Ken has also had Robbie Gray, now Rozee, JHF and Butters saving his job.
100%. I don't even get why Koch brought in the comparison. However he did, so worth calling it out as spin and a twisted view.

Then you consider the timing, Choco just got inducted into the hall of fame and Koch wants to downplay his coaching record at the club by having a veiled swipe as part of a snake oil sales pitch.
The stat should have come out with the standard financial clause "Past performance is no guarantee of future results".
Personally it was just another jab in a long list at the club's history.

I wasn't shocked Ken was extended. It was obvious it was going to happen, they were never going to walk away from a 3rd top 4 finish.

What I don't appreciate is the constant attack on what a significant percentage of us hold dear which is our past and our heritage. For me personally it's the only reason I follow the AFL.

Did they really need to announce the signing before the finals? Couldn't they have just kept it in house and respect our traditions or were they too worried we might bomb in the finals that badly that questions would have to be asked?

Did they even explore other options? Any due diligence on exploring options or ways to improve? Another cornerstone of our club.
Last year Clarkson, this year Dimma, does the club think we're doing that well that we don't need to talk to anyone, ever?
Not saying they should or could have signed someone else. However what harm is there in reaching out and having a conversation. They could have easily spun it as "we both explored our options and agreed to continue".

From what I can gather the thought process on the renewal over the last two seasons was as deep as picking out a deli meat "Is Dom, is good".

Then you add the constant attack of those who used to be known as loyal, rusted on, die hards.
Well it's drink the bathwater and be a true believer or you're one of them lunatics, trolls, haters and uneducated.
Shit even Tredders doesn't know anything about this "modern" Port Adelaide.

How hard is it to listen, address the concerns and defuse the situation. Nope too arrogant to consider any "outsiders" views, we're now just white noise.

Good luck to them, I wish no harm and suspect those wanting to see them go out in straight sets are in the anger stage of their grief.

However I've tapped out end of 2021 after many years of you need to stick by the club. These days I won't attend even with free tickets, minor rounds or finals. I don't begrudge my lad still going though, he can never understand what we had regardless of how hard I try and explain it.

Last edited:

  

Thank you to all of you.

AFLW

  

Cheers,
Richo

You're just white noise.

100%. I don't even get why Koch brought in the comparison. However he did, so worth calling it out as spin and a twisted view.
Then you consider the timing, Choco just got inducted into the hall of fame and Koch wants to downplay his coaching record at the club by having a veiled swipe as part of a snake oil sales pitch.
I wasn't shocked Ken was extended. It was obvious it was going to happen, they were never going to walk away from a 3rd top 4 finish.
Did they even explore other options? Any due diligence on exploring options or ways to improve? Another cornerstone of our club.
Last year Clarkson, this year Dimma, does the club think we're doing that well that we don't need to talk to anyone, ever?
Not saying they should or could have signed someone else. However what harm is there in reaching out and having a conversation. They could have easily spun it as "we both explored our options and agreed to continue".
This is great post. The whole "due diligence" aspect is something nobody in the media has even questioned. We weren't considering sacking, this isn't an extension as much as it's a new contract. They do a complete disservice to the idea of continual improvement and "chasing greatness" by not exploring every available option out there. It turns out "Chasing Greatness" just means changing nothing and hoping you happen to snag a dynasty.

Kochies statement "based on the facts" that Ken Hinkley is the most successful coach of Port Adelaide in the AFL era isn't just a massive slap in the face to our actual most successful coach in Mark Williams, but tells you everything you need to know about his perspective of the club. If your whole perspective of the club is based around success in the home and away round, why wouldn't you re-sign Ken? In that context, it's difficult to argue with. But if thats the case, you have a clear divide between Port Adelaide's historical mission statement and the mission statement of the President. It seems as though we're happy to trot out the prison bars and refer to our history when it suits the suits and marketing team, but when it comes to the ethos, the foundations that were laid to make the club one of the most successful sports clubs in Australia (which we earned where it counts) then we are happy to make it up as we go along. Disappointing. Regardless of Ken's re-appointment or not, it's disappointing. They could have re-signed him and still kept high standards and maintained intellectual honesty, but instead they've chosen to bend everything around justifying the reappointment.
Someone @ Jenny Williams to get her view on this most successful coach line.

  

Thank you to all of you.

AFLW

  

Cheers,
Richo

"Ken has reshaped our list several times..." Ha, cheerio to the list management team.
Any despite that, he's still managed to achieve nothing of any consequence. He really is a special kind of mediocre.

Basically boils down to Koch and Richardson being completely risk averse. They are the perfect storm of a small business meets public service mindset. They are comfortable in making a secure middle class living are not prepared to take the risks needed to turn their mom and pop operation into a global juggernaut.

Last edited:
Basically boils down to Koch and Richardson being completely risk averse. They are the perfect storm of a small business and public service mindset. They are comfortable in making a secure middle class living are not prepared to take the risks needed to turn their mom and pop operation into a global juggernaut.

Totally this!

Hey Sticker Man. any chance of some sack Koch stickers.
Agreed, I've long suspected Koch lives in some dream world where he believes the vast majority of Port supporters love and revere him for `saving' the PAFC, but from speaking to supporters I know who aren't members of this site and who are usually quite conservative with their comments, they (and other supporters they have contact with) have had enough of his `My Club' BS, so his popularity may not be anywhere near the level he thinks it is.

If someone like eg sticker man put some highly visible public pressure on Koch, his ginormous ego may not cope with it too well at all, and there has to be a strong chance it would have more effect than targeting just kern alone.

Basically boils down to Koch and Richardson being completely risk averse. They are the perfect storm of a small business meets public service mindset. They are comfortable in making a secure middle class living are not prepared to take the risks needed to turn their mom and pop operation into a global juggernaut.
Totally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back