Saints Are Finished in 2011 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd happily trade Joey or NDS for the right offer BTW.

they've been great servants of the club but Riewoldt will go down as our greatest ever player IMO.

trading him would destroy his legacy.

The problem for the Saints is that none of them have that much currency.

Riewoldt is coming off a bad hamstring last year and I remember Lloyd never, ever being the same player once he returned from that same issue. He would put in a cameo effort now and then but generally he lost his zip. Saints would want a top 3 pick and I doubt they would get rid of their heart and soul anyway. Not going anywhere.

Can't see Goddard going anywhere but to a contender and Saints would want a top 5 pick for him. The problem is that none of those contending clubs are likely to have their hands on a top 5 pick to trade. Not going anywhere.

Dalsanto are Montagna are worth picks in the 10 to 20 range. Both will be 28 next season. Small chance of going to a contender for either a draft pick or a promising player with 2 or 3 seasons under his belt. Off the top of my head, Cwood-Beams/Dick, Ess-Reimers/Jetta, Carl-Lucas, Swans-Jetta, Hawks-Savage, Freo-Palmer/Ibbotson.

Kosi is finished.

S Fisher will be 30 halfway through next season. Could go for a second rounder at best as club who receives him will only get 2 seasons max out of him. Unlikely to go anywhere.

Lenny Hayes is untradeable.

Milne is 32 next year. Not going anywhere.

Player with most currency is probably McEvoy as marking ruckman are worth their weight in gold these days. But knowing that, St Kilda are hardly going to release him either.

In a tight spot, the Saints. Recruiting team are really going to have to earn their money next draft.

St Kilda only problem at them moment is that they are mentally shot, confidence is down and they can't get the ball through the goals, they get the ball in there and just keep missing, Geelong, Richmond, Adelaide all boil down to ****ing up easy shots on goal or brain fades.

How do we correct that confidence problem is the biggest issue facing the club.

You're at your furthest away IMHO when you've just started to drop off after a crest: Essendon 2002, Bris 2005, WCE 2007, Blues 2000 (etc).

Maybe not Roo, as you say he's a leader as well. But say Fisher or NDS. In your top 10 or 12 players, in the 2nd half of their career, big name, big coin, still a very good player.

The one thing that Lyon didn't take from Roos is the ability to make worthwhile, 2-way, trades happen. (Jolly, Mattner, Buchanan etc). What the Swans did in the 2009 off-season (4 players for 4 players & similar/better picks) shows what can be possible if you make a couple of big calls, free up space & opportunities and give your recruiting network a bit to work with.

They actually dont have much to trade.

They have to keep Riewoldt McEvoy and everybody under 23 years of age. Theres no point getting rid of senior players in their late 20's early 30's like Fisher Hayes and Milne. Goddard is a keeper. So is Gram.

The one that they should trade who actually has some trade value being in the right age bracket, is Gilbert. He is a cancer and needs to be cut free.

Sorry to be another Cats supporter comparing the respective fortunes of the two clubs, but perhaps it is worth remembering that virtually the same team that had failed in 2006 saluted in 2007 due to a change in the style of play the team was asked to play.

I think it's actually similar to Geelong in 1993. Blight had been at the club for four years, same as Lyon's been at St.Kilda. Both teams had missed the finals one year, but made one prelim and the grand final twice in the other three years. Blight decided to completely revamp the game plan to become more defensive in 1993. Lyon wants to be more attacking in 2011.

In 1993, the idea of being defensive was foreign to a lot of players, and it showed. We lost to Melbourne, got smashed by the Saints and were run close by Fitzroy, Brisbane and Sydney. It was only after the Saints game when the players got together, decided to revert to their original game plan, and then won 5 in a row, including 4 games against eventual finalists by an average of 57 points.

Now you look at the Saints. They're deciding to be more attacking, but in doing so, the likes of Dawson and Gilbert are being exposed as they don't have midfielders filling the holes in the backline, which in the past forced opposition teams to bomb the ball in on top of the forward's head, rather than out in front like they can now.

How exactly is he inept? He got us to 2 Grand Finals I don't see that as inept. He was a bullshit goal umpiring call and unlucky bounce away from being a back to back Premiership Coach, he's not inept, you're just being a feral for being a ferals sake.

Leaving a fully fit Ball on the bench collecting splinters in the last term of the 2009 grand final while Goddard was still running around wrapped in more bandages than Tutankhamen springs to mind.

But for the bounce of a ball in GF1 last year he might be regretting his exit.

If if if if if

If StKilda had agreed to a trade rather than giving him away for nothing

If Gilbert hadnt met that girl

If Fisher hadnt saved those photos

If Gram hadnt invited Lovett back to his apartment

If Riewoldt hadnt got injured

If Gardiner didnt break down

If they had more kids on their list

If they had fewer recycled hacks on their list

If StKilda had the nads to do somthing similar with Kozi a few years back then maybe they would have a premiership.

List management put St kilda in the perfect position to win 2 flags.

Wrong tree.

They have to keep Riewoldt McEvoy and everybody under 23 years of age. Theres no point getting rid of senior players in their late 20's early 30's like Fisher Hayes and Milne. Goddard is a keeper. So is Gram.
I think Fisher would be a perfect guy to shift.
28 (same as Jolly when traded IIRC?) still gives him 3 years if he went somewhere like Hawthorn/Blues who will be aiming high but have a perfectly Fisher-shaped hole in the backline.

28 (same as Jolly when traded IIRC?) still gives him 3 years if he went somewhere like Hawthorn/Blues who will be aiming high but have a perfectly Fisher-shaped hole in the backline.

Too old and one of the few StKilda players with some degree of moral fibre. His trade value wouldnt be high enough at his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List management put St kilda in the perfect position to win 2 flags.

Wrong tree.

No it didnt. StKildas best 10-12 players put them in a position to win 2 flags. Same as Collingwood in 02-03.

They got close. Big deal. List management was what cost them in the end.

Just love how StKilda fans continue to brag about getting close and specualting about the bounce of the ball.

Fisher would be one of the last players I would trade, he's still a quality player. Trading a gun like him for a speculative draft pick or two would be crazy.

But for St Kilda valuing Luke Ball properly, St Kilda might not have needed to rely on the bounce of the ball last year.

We did value him properly based on his output. Collingwood were prepared to pay more than he was worth and got him.

^^^^this attitude is why StKilda are where they are at.

Beams and Sidbottom made instant impacts in their first years.

Cripps looks the goods after just one league game.

Somthing is always better than nothing, especially when Wellingham/Goldsack are thrown into the bargain.

Trading for a win/win situation is always the prudent bet.

It always surprises me though just how little the people that are in the best bargaining powers don't really exploit trading out some of their players for better value.
The Premiership team always carries through the best currency for their players but rarely take up that advantage

^^^^this attitude is why StKilda are where they are at.

Beams and Sidbottom made instant impacts in their first years.

Cripps looks the goods after just one league game.

Somthing is always better than nothing, especially when Wellingham/Goldsack are thrown into the bargain.

Nice try to slip Wellingham in there but we all know he wasn't offered to St Kilda, it was only Goldsack offered and he's playing in the VFL where he would probably be if he was at St Kilda.

Maybe draft pick 30 may have amounted to something maybe it wouldn't but either way it wouldn't have made a difference last year.

Luke Ball finsihed 5th in the best and fairest for Collingwood in their premiership year.

How did he not make a difference?

I was talking about the draft pick that we could have got for Luke Ball, Ball would have gone whether we accepted the trade or not.

It's unlikely that a kid picked up with pick 30 would have made a difference last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back