Saints Are Finished in 2011 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mis-read what you said, my apologies.

Losing pick 30 might not have made a difference, but losing Pick 16 for nothing probably did.

There was a hell of a lot of talent traded that year aside from Luke Ball.

If if if if if

If StKilda had agreed to a trade rather than giving him away for nothing

If Gilbert hadnt met that girl

If Fisher hadnt saved those photos

If Gram hadnt invited Lovett back to his apartment

If Riewoldt hadnt got injured

If Gardiner didnt break down

If they had more kids on their list

If they had fewer recycled hacks on their list

Im sick off this ****ing shit, this isn't Bay 13 so why don't you and your collingwood supporting brethren do everyone a favor and go jump off a cliff.

Fisher would be one of the last players I would trade, he's still a quality player. Trading a gun like him for a speculative draft pick or two would be crazy.

We did value him properly based on his output. Collingwood were prepared to pay more than he was worth and got him.

Maybe you should've valued him based on his output when he was actually getting played and used correctly. His output has increased tenfold since he moved to Collingwood, that tells me you didn't value you properly at all.

And how much is a top 5 BnF and a premiership worth exactly? Whatever it is, I'd gladly pay it again if you have any other players of Ball's calibre that you want to giveaway :)

Maybe you should've valued him based on his output when he was actually getting played and used correctly. His output has increased tenfold since he moved to Collingwood, that tells me you didn't value you properly at all.

And how much is a top 5 BnF and a premiership worth exactly? Whatever it is, I'd gladly pay it again if you have any other players of Ball's calibre that you want to giveaway :)

The difference is that we had Lenny Hayes to play the main inside mid and clearance player role that Ball plays, we also have Armitage who can play that role too.

At Collingwood he is the no.1 inside mid/clearance player so his output there was going to be more than at St Kilda where he was just a back up player to Hayes and competing with Armitage for a spot.

It wasn't so much losing Ball that hurt us, it was more the fact he helped to improve one of our main rivals by filling a hole in their team.

Re: Saints Are Finished in 2010 & Beyond

It's stupid to count it as the years from grand final to grand final. You gotta count it from year of being a serious contender to the next year.

Port first had a premiership contending squad in 2002 and 2003 (any team that wins the minor premiership has one) but choked and didn't make the grand final in either year. Crows haven't made a grand final since 97 but they had a serious squad in 05/06.

As a Port supporter you've most likely deliberately forgotten this - but Crows went back-to-back in 1998. Something Port Adelaide (and probably my club) will never do it would seem.

Prove me wrong boys.

I have spoken with a Saints person this morning about the current state of affairs at Morrabbin/Frankston and was given some interesting 'gossip'.

Appears that there is a little bit more going on behind the scenes than most would be aware of.

Apparently the playing list is a little divided with one group who follow & endorse Nick Riewoldt and the group don't particularly like the pedestal he has been placed on etc.

It's not a massive division but it could be enough to explain why the playing group aren't gelling onfield ??

I have spoken with a Saints person this morning about the current state of affairs at Morrabbin/Frankston and was given some interesting 'gossip'.

Appears that there is a little bit more going on behind the scenes than most would be aware of.

Apparently the playing list is a little divided with one group who follow & endorse Nick Riewoldt and the group don't particularly like the pedestal he has been placed on etc.

It's not a massive division but it could be enough to explain why the playing group aren't gelling onfield ??
Im guessing if true it is between Grant Thomas' true-believers/favourites and the rest

You a clown of the highest order. It was reported in the paper that the above issue happened at Collingwood and Port Adelaide after there successful runs in the early 2000. Shane Wakelin said it defanately happened at Collingwood not sure who the Port source was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But for St Kilda valuing Luke Ball properly, St Kilda might not have needed to rely on the bounce of the ball last year.

Too true, put Ball's efforts into the middle at the expense of Hayes and we lose by 5 goals

Which simply highlights even further what a huge mistake it was to fire Thomas.. He would have got the Saints to 2 flags by now, I reckon..
No it shows the exact opostie, Thomas was creating a cult like atmosphere around himself. Something that was poisoness. We probably should have reaccessed the captaincy when he was turfed out instead of just leaveing it with the incumbent.

But for the bounce of a ball in GF1 last year he might be regretting his exit.

How stupid are saint supporters. Honestly. I have heard this phrase over 100 times on big footy and i just dont get what they are on about. You can take any event in the game and say "if" this happened then they would have won... Did you ever think if the ball didn't bounce through for a score you wouldn't have even drawn.

If you want a straight predictable bouncing ball maybe afl is the wrong sport for you

But for the bounce of a ball in GF1 last year he might be regretting his exit.

And if the umpire didn't pay the free against Mooney in the dying stages of the qualifying final, you wouldn't have even made the grand final.

See, I can play the "ifs, buts and maybes" game too. :p

I would suggest that a rumoured video featuring two saints players involved in a 'bet' might have a far greater negative impact on the playing list....and might just be the reason for the split in the Saints ranks...given that one of the said players is the captain.

Which simply highlights even further what a huge mistake it was to fire Thomas.. He would have got the Saints to 2 flags by now, I reckon..

You sir, are an idiot.

Thomas couldn't run training, much less run the football club. That's actually what Ross noticed when he showed up, that the players were running the Training session.

Grant was an imbecile who should've been an accountant at the club, not head coach. If we'd had someone of Ross Lyon's caliber during 2004 and 2005, we would've gone back to back or at least won 1 of those Grand Finals.
Thomas ruined a perfectly good list by not having a Ruckman, Thomas ruined Luke Ball's leg speed and kicking by making him play with OP, Thomas did so much soft tissue damage by not having a proper injury management team.

Grant Thomas was one of the worst things to happen to the football club.

No it didnt. StKildas best 10-12 players put them in a position to win 2 flags. Same as Collingwood in 02-03.

They got close. Big deal. List management was what cost them in the end.

Just love how StKilda fans continue to brag about getting close and specualting about the bounce of the ball.

There's no bragging in getting close, it's a cold hard fact that St Kilda's list managers put the Saints within 5 minutes of at least 2 flags whilst winning 115 games in 8 years. All without any father son freebies.

If the fall is a little harder because they pushed harder to win a flag so be it.

So u can say luke ball would have made no difference but if the ball bounced your way you would have won?:confused:

The issue is chances were missed in conversion and general forward line pressure, not the winning of the ball at the base of the packs or the general clearances.
Ball may have won more clearances in the game, but wouldn't have affected the goals that were kickable and that were missed.

How stupid are saint supporters. Honestly. I have heard this phrase over 100 times on big footy and i just dont get what they are on about. You can take any event in the game and say "if" this happened then they would have won... Did you ever think if the ball didn't bounce through for a score you wouldn't have even drawn.

If you want a straight predictable bouncing ball maybe afl is the wrong sport for you

Exactly...what they fail to consider is that if Cloke kicked straight, they wouldn't of even remembered this 'bounce of the ball' that apparently cost them so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back