Saints are outright second on the ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Woohoo.

The Liar's team drew with Melbourne leaving the Saints outright second for the midseason break.

How heroic is that?

We were written off by the "experts" who all decided we couldn't win without Riewoldt and had us dropping out of the eight or thereabouts.

should be a good game in a couple of weeks. Some returns for injury for both teams. Any chance of Riewoldt playing? It would be good to play your best, win or lose.

There have been rumours that he wants to get up for the Geelong game, but I would be doubtful that the club will let him unless they are supremely confident that he is at no greater risk of injury than usual. I think he is still several weeks away but who knows?

should be a good game in a couple of weeks. Some returns for injury for both teams. Any chance of Riewoldt playing? It would be good to play your best, win or lose.

Doubt Riewoldt will get up for the Geelong game.

I also think that geelong are just in too good form at the moment, however anything can happen and the Saints and Geelong were pretty evenly matched last season.

Geelong just look slicker at the moment and are cleaner with their disposal. I would love a win against the Cats but cant see it occurring.

Rather like us with Ottens. he is "two weeks away", every week for a few months ....

I'd love to see Taylor & Rooey at it again. But at the end of the day, it's 4 points. You can't risk the elite for the sake on one game.

This result is what I have been trying to see happen with the thread " if results fall our way". Outright second at the break, everyone one of us would have taken it. I,m coming down to Melbourne for the Filth game and hope to meet up with a couple of you guys and cheer on the boys with a bit of lubrication. Go Sainters.

Don't think they'll risk them just because its Geelong.
Not sure I like Roo returning on the hard Gabba surface either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there is anything to be gained by playing roo against the cats with the obvious exception of a possible 4 points. Even if we beat them it would not count for much come finals time - the same if we lost.

It would be nice to put some clear water (more) between us and third place so that we can get into some late season list management, but I fear any team from 2nd to 6th could put a run on to take 2nd spot this season. Have to give the cats their dues, they look certain top 2 but are definately bearable in the finals as we proved but failed to execute last year.

Don't play him yet. We can't make the mistakes of last year and have our team basically settled 10 weeks out from the finals. We have used the second least amount of players to date, we need to put some more guys in, no reflection on those in there now, but I would be far happier with the players playing say a maximum of 19 games out of the 22. This gives their bodies a chance to recover, it gives others oppertunity who are close, and gives you a chance to get a few games into the young bloods. The game is just too tough now adays. I want Roo back asap, but would be far happier with him coming back at round 16, 6 games before the finals, he will be at peak match conditioning come finals time. Lyon is meantime looking at more options knowing Roo is due back .

Don't play him yet. We can't make the mistakes of last year and have our team basically settled 10 weeks out from the finals. We have used the second least amount of players to date, we need to put some more guys in, no reflection on those in there now, but I would be far happier with the players playing say a maximum of 19 games out of the 22. This gives their bodies a chance to recover, it gives others oppertunity who are close, and gives you a chance to get a few games into the young bloods. The game is just too tough now adays. I want Roo back asap, but would be far happier with him coming back at round 16, 6 games before the finals, he will be at peak match conditioning come finals time. Lyon is meantime looking at more options knowing Roo is due back .

i would have thought that lyon has been experimenting and using more players.

outside of this weeks 22, he has played
steven
armitage
gram
dawson
reiwoldt
pattison
king

anyone else played this year? maybe not so many more

who could play?

dempster (has only played 2-3 games in the reserves)
lynch (also only came back)
walsh - not ready
hutchiings as above
winmar just started playing again
archer not ready
A smith - getting closer

There's also Simpkin, Johnson and a certain Jesse Smith we could play, but there aren't many more we could play, really, and none of the three I mentioned are ready YET (hopefully Smith will be by the end of the year).

Everybody loves a win! what frustrates me though is that in the scheme of things, 2nd is no different to 3rd in terms of finals for us (assuming melb opponent), home game at the G last year (1st), as opposed to an away game at the G (4th),

Haha yeah, was even stupider last year as you could say Collingwood had the greater advantage playing most of their games at the G.

Still, doesn't really matter.

Freo could be up there in September, and there is a massive difference between playing at the G or playing at Subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints are outright second on the ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back