Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are getting far to emotive Trade bait. Well most players. Someone today suggested hickey. Some wants jokey to retire. As for billings yesterday well he may not have looked soft and I don't think he was or is. I don't any afl player is soft but some choose when to go. I had a perfect view of a couple yesterday when he went one handed and didn't put his body on the line. It was that obvious that about 5 people bagged the guy. I wasn't one because I don't say much at the footy apart from saying the obvious crap. I did laugh yesterday though with mavs kick ver funny and maybe was actually out of bounds but I think the boundary umpire was in shock.

Anyway in 2 years I hope you will bring up some of my threads on billings and say look how little he knew. Obviously those having a go at saints players are in a no one situation because only a complete fool would bring up an old post to prove they were right if the player did fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please turn off autocorrect. :p

I might get shouted down by both St Kilda supporters and CCarlton supporters for saying this but I believe that Blake Acres will in the next 5 years either equal or take over Patrick Cripps as a player heres why.

1.Ball dominance-At this stage Cripps is a superior inside midfielder who can rack up disposals and clearances at will. Blake has already demonstrated that he can be a dominant ball winner. On multiple occasion he has been able to gather double digit disposals in just a single a quarter. With more games under his belt and more time on the wing/inside he should be able to consistently get over 30 touches. Additoinally Blake is able to win more ball on the outside. I'm not sure on the numbers but i would be almost certain that Blake has had more handball recieves thnen Cripps. This highlights a few differences that point towards Blake. He is one to take the game on, from a running point of view where as I think even the most one eyed Carlton supporters would agree that Cripps very rarely gets any outside ball. Therefore I think Blke has a more rounded ball wining game. By being able to create run he is able to be more damaging with his disposal eg run down the middle of Etihad where he hit up Roey.

2. Hands in the contest- Both cripps and Acres are extremely strong in the contest and always able to get hands away. They are probably at an equal level on this aspect.

3. Marking hands- Whilst Cripps is no slouch in terms of his contested marking, Blake by the end of his career will be known as an elite Mark for his size. This aspect of Blake's game definitely became more prominent towards the end of the season. However a gets more confident and more accustomed to using his body which he already has he will only get better. Also he will be able to fly more as opposed to having the ball popped on his head.

4. Athleticism/Speed- Acres even though he has been described as 'treacle slow' at his top speed is surprisingly quick. Also if he is treacle slow, I don't know what Cripps is. The reason Acres seems slow is because he thinking his way through the contest, (Pedlebury) as oppose to just bursting his way through(Dangerfield, Sheuy). however it is not to say he can't use his speed. I think this is a area that started to develop towards the end of the year as well. I think Blake is starting to be better and deciding when to really run fast or work his way through. For isnatnce the 2 of the 3 centre clearances on Sunday especially the one on the week end to Rooey where he just broke away from the circle was him using his space. The reality is that because both Cripps and Acres cn shrug tackles so easily, the need for speed is not as important. However i think because Acres can use his when he needs to, he has an advantage over Cripps.

5.Ball Use-Even though Acre's kicking has started off shaky and been a little inconstant I thnk at his best he is more dmaging wth both his kicking and hands. Firstly often Cripps looks to handball, undertsnaibyly becuase he is in the contest. Altetnlively, Acres, especially when kicking always looks for the best option. For instance against North the play was moving to wards the wing and when he got the ball, he stopped assesed and found Reiwoldt 60 out directly in front. This is a key reason I think he will better his kicking is just more damaging.

6. Versatility-Cripps has shown that he will be able to be a strong inside mid/damaging half forward Acres can litrelly play anywhere ont he ground. Due to his running we have seen him on occasion move across half back on move the ball from there up the ground. Against Syndey he almost kicked 4 goals in 10 minutes and once he starts to ocnvert these chances on the run wow whatch out.

Ulitmately give him a few years bu I think whilst Cripps seems to be more dominant Acres is more dmaging and more rounded.

Agree with a lot of that, especially the versatility, outside game, marking and speed parts, but Cripps's contested and clearance winning abilities are off the charts, so he definitely has Blake (and possibly everyone else in the game bar maybe Kennedy) covered in that area and unfortunately both are poor by foot.

Blake did a bunch more terrible kicks on the weekend and in particular seems to have trouble kicking the ball anywhere but straight in front of him (ie in the direction he is running). I've noticed a few times recently when he's inside 50 that if he's running out to the right of the goals and isn't able to turn his body to face the goals in time, his kicks just go in the direction he is running, way off to the right. He doesn't seem to have the ability to kick a drop punt across his body at all, which means if he doesn't learn to do that he'll only be able to kick the way he's facing, which is not ideal.

He's actually almost looked more comfortable/reliable passing on his left foot in recent weeks than he often does his right foot, so at least he has that going for him. Not sure Cripps has a left foot at all.

Agree with a lot of that, especially the versatility, outside game, marking and speed parts, but Cripps's contested and clearance winning abilities are off the charts, so he definitely has Blake (and possibly everyone else in the game bar maybe Kennedy) covered in that area and unfortunately both are poor by foot.

Blake did a bunch more terrible kicks on the weekend and in particular seems to have trouble kicking the ball anywhere but straight in front of him (ie in the direction he is running). I've noticed a few times recently when he's inside 50 that if he's running out to the right of the goals and isn't able to turn his body to face the goals in time, his kicks just go in the direction he is running, way off to the right. He doesn't seem to have the ability to kick a drop punt across his body at all, which means if he doesn't learn to do that he'll only be able to kick the way he's facing, which is not ideal.

He's actually almost looked more comfortable/reliable passing on his left foot in recent weeks than he often does his right foot, so at least he has that going for him. Not sure Cripps has a left foot at all.
I have to dsiagree with some your points. I think with his kicking generally his worst kicks are when he doesn't have time to think about it. He just throws it on the boot any time he has a second to think and asesses he is mostly an effective kicker. One thing we can agree on is that the damag of his kicking is definetly imporving and so is the consistancy.

just watched the game highlights (didnt see the game) you would think that there was a point in it by the highlights they showed

I have to dsiagree with some your points. I think with his kicking generally his worst kicks are when he doesn't have time to think about it. He just throws it on the boot any time he has a second to think and asesses he is mostly an effective kicker. One thing we can agree on is that the damag of his kicking is definetly imporving and so is the consistancy.

I agree that his kicking is improving and being able to kick on both sides is a real bonus for him. He really looks like he'll be an A grader sooner rather than later. No wonder he was signed up on a long contract.

I might get shouted down by both St Kilda supporters and CCarlton supporters for saying this but I believe that Blake Acres will in the next 5 years either equal or take over Patrick Cripps as a player heres why.

1.Ball dominance-At this stage Cripps is a superior inside midfielder who can rack up disposals and clearances at will. Blake has already demonstrated that he can be a dominant ball winner. On multiple occasion he has been able to gather double digit disposals in just a single a quarter. With more games under his belt and more time on the wing/inside he should be able to consistently get over 30 touches. Additoinally Blake is able to win more ball on the outside. I'm not sure on the numbers but i would be almost certain that Blake has had more handball recieves thnen Cripps. This highlights a few differences that point towards Blake. He is one to take the game on, from a running point of view where as I think even the most one eyed Carlton supporters would agree that Cripps very rarely gets any outside ball. Therefore I think Blke has a more rounded ball wining game. By being able to create run he is able to be more damaging with his disposal eg run down the middle of Etihad where he hit up Roey.

2. Hands in the contest- Both cripps and Acres are extremely strong in the contest and always able to get hands away. They are probably at an equal level on this aspect.

3. Marking hands- Whilst Cripps is no slouch in terms of his contested marking, Blake by the end of his career will be known as an elite Mark for his size. This aspect of Blake's game definitely became more prominent towards the end of the season. However a gets more confident and more accustomed to using his body which he already has he will only get better. Also he will be able to fly more as opposed to having the ball popped on his head.

4. Athleticism/Speed- Acres even though he has been described as 'treacle slow' at his top speed is surprisingly quick. Also if he is treacle slow, I don't know what Cripps is. The reason Acres seems slow is because he thinking his way through the contest, (Pedlebury) as oppose to just bursting his way through(Dangerfield, Sheuy). however it is not to say he can't use his speed. I think this is a area that started to develop towards the end of the year as well. I think Blake is starting to be better and deciding when to really run fast or work his way through. For isnatnce the 2 of the 3 centre clearances on Sunday especially the one on the week end to Rooey where he just broke away from the circle was him using his space. The reality is that because both Cripps and Acres cn shrug tackles so easily, the need for speed is not as important. However i think because Acres can use his when he needs to, he has an advantage over Cripps.

5.Ball Use-Even though Acre's kicking has started off shaky and been a little inconstant I thnk at his best he is more dmaging wth both his kicking and hands. Firstly often Cripps looks to handball, undertsnaibyly becuase he is in the contest. Altetnlively, Acres, especially when kicking always looks for the best option. For instance against North the play was moving to wards the wing and when he got the ball, he stopped assesed and found Reiwoldt 60 out directly in front. This is a key reason I think he will better his kicking is just more damaging.

6. Versatility-Cripps has shown that he will be able to be a strong inside mid/damaging half forward Acres can litrelly play anywhere ont he ground. Due to his running we have seen him on occasion move across half back on move the ball from there up the ground. Against Syndey he almost kicked 4 goals in 10 minutes and once he starts to ocnvert these chances on the run wow whatch out.

Ulitmately give him a few years bu I think whilst Cripps seems to be more dominant Acres is more dmaging and more rounded.

I called him first and am claiming him;) I said 5 years he would be our best player but I actually reckon you are right too, he has much more of a unique game and more complete player. He has brilliant vision and just knows what's happening before anyone else does. He reminds me of a better Lenny hayes at the same age..

I called him first and am claiming him;) I said 5 years he would be our best player but I actually reckon you are right too, he has much more of a unique game and more complete player. He has brilliant vision and just knows what's happening before anyone else does. He reminds me of a better Lenny hayes at the same age..

Stats are very similar at the same age. In the end means nothing. Just want to see more improvement again next year.

Well I'll see your disagreement and raise you my disagreement, he also does some very poor kicks when he has to just throw it onto the boot very quickly. :p They often end up being up-and-under jobs that go high, but not far and usually off to the right of where he was aiming, as they've come off the side of his boot. He just has plenty to work on on all aspects of his kicking AFIC.

We've seen big improvements in the kicking of the likes of Hickey, Mav and Ross in their time at the club though, so hoping it's a similar story with Blake, as if he improves his kicking his ceiling is immense.

Stats are very similar at the same age. In the end means nothing. Just want to see more improvement again next year.

I didn't look at stats, he just showed little signs early on Lenny that made you think this kids going to be good. Blake does some things that make you shake your head. He's got something other kids don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some similar stats?
20YO Cripps was getting double figures for contested possessions.
20YO Acres was simply not.

We were talking Acres and Lenny. Cripps shot out of the blocks like Bont. Acres taking longer but has all the potential in the world and could still be as good or better.

Roo was brilliant don't get me wrong by why the f Lepper didn't put a player behind the ball in the hole where Roo was leading into is beyond me. Seriously poor coaching.
Did you see him coach at all at any time the camera panned to him? He was just sitting there waiting to be sacked with a glum look on his face. If I was his boss if have refused to pay him for the day!

Did you see him coach at all at any time the camera panned to him? He was just sitting there waiting to be sacked with a glum look on his face. If I was his boss if have refused to pay him for the day!

Most of the coaching is done before game day.
How do you "see" someone coaching.
Do you see the little wheels in their head spinning round deciding to spray or cry, before they go down at 1/4 time?

Most of the coaching is done before game day.
How do you "see" someone coaching.
Do you see the little wheels in their head spinning round deciding to spray or cry, before they go down at 1/4 time?
I see Richo coaching every time the camera pans to him. He's adjusting, communicating, doing. I saw malthouse do that, I see Lyon do that. I see clarkson do that. They never sit there and just wait and react.

I don't see Hardwick do it much, I don't see Brad Scott do it much (except react to the umpires decisions) and I didn't see hird do that much when he was towards the end and unhooked and sat there arms crossed.

So insofar as I see coaches coach, I definatley did not see Lepper communicate when the camera panned to him. He was sitting there like he was being forced through a two hour episode of the emotional side of The Block, or something as equally devoid anything engaging.

I see Richo coaching every time the camera pans to him. He's adjusting, communicating, doing. I saw malthouse do that, I see Lyon do that. I see clarkson do that. They never sit there and just wait and react.

I don't see Hardwick do it much, I don't see Brad Scott do it much (except react to the umpires decisions) and I didn't see hird do that much when he was towards the end and unhooked and sat there arms crossed.

So insofar as I see coaches coach, I definatley did not see Lepper communicate when the camera panned to him. He was sitting there like he was being forced through a two hour episode of the emotional side of The Block, or something as equally devoid anything engaging.

Fair enough, but i don't see the game day stuff as the main aspect of coaching, and if a coach said they wanted a specific game day strategist to call the shots , i wouldn't criticize that sort of move. The whole coach in the coaching box coverage is media bullshit. ( and they show what they want to show to paint the picture they want to paint ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back