Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am so torn with this part of the Battle discussion. I want him to stay and we are a much better team with him, but it's hard to justify the money being talked for him when he's our 4th best player in the defensive 6.
Exactly, it is tough, but people need to understand that we face a very different decision to Hawthorn:

Hawthorn's choice is $900k or Battle?

Our choice is 900k AND PICK 6 or Battle?

Now, I really like Battle, but I feel a lot of his value is in what Enright's system (and

Dont under sell that win people. We were the best version of ourselves we have been all year, I think we even played better than we did in that win against the Swans. Bombers are struggling but we absolutely put them to the sword which is the sign of a team playing with huge confidence. Its just a shame its taken so long into the season to really find our best footy - but if thats the bench mark the future is looking bright.

As an add on I believe Byrnes deserves not just a 1 year contract but something more substantial. Jones and Membrey have done enough to deserve to go around again. Jones is probably playing the best team footy he has played for a long long time.
A shame Byrnes was dropped, it was possibly justified but his first few games were good too.

NWM
Wilson
Philippou
Great to have some promising youngsters from the draft, hopefully find another ( or 2) this year. Get Henry and King back and hopefully next season is better.
Another year for Ross to mould the group as well- hopefully, despite the frustration and disappointment this season is going to be valuable nonetheless.

Exactly, it is tough, but people need to understand that we face a very different decision to Hawthorn:

Now, I really like Battle, but I feel a lot of his value is in what (and Wilkie) enable him to be. I reckon he can be replaced or at least semi-replaced. He is playing one of the easiest roles in AFL (look at Lobb recently FFS).

We need to re-balance our investment in the defence towards the midfield. Therefore, if we can take that pick 6 along with circa $1mill p.a. and use it to convince a young mid to get homesick or want the Saints (ie Finn Callaghan, Hayden Young, LDU, Noah Anderson, etc, types) then I think we become a better team.

Now, I really like Battle, but I feel a lot of his value is in what Enright's system (and
Enright's system is what gives me confidence that we will be able to somewhat cover him if he does leave.

King suffers from the same thing that happens to many young, talented and media hyped key forwards. They were absolutely dominant in juniors and didn't have a need to work hard to win aerial contests or beat their opponent because they were simply so much more talented. The hype about the King twins in their draft year was reaching mythical status at one point.

I think he almost needs to be retrained in how he approaches his leading. He is unstoppable when able to jump and take the ball at the highest point and this can still be part of his arsenal, but there is1st 9an opportunity for him to improve his work ethic and leading patterns.

Max is important because he takes the best defender everytime. Dixon had an absolute stinker on paper for Port last night and looks like he can barely run, but structurally he was crucial to their comeback.
I am convinced that Max can and will succeed, it would be a mistake to trade him because we've had a few nice wins without him for which there are many reasons for beyond anything to do with him.
This is bang on 100%.

Also want to see the bloke show some intensity at ground level. Chasing and tackling. The whole forward line has been doing that well recently.

If King isn't kicking goals, that's okay if he is competing in the air and pressuring at ground level.

The big problem is that he was doing neither for most of this season.

Controversial but agree.....

Being a selfish bastard I want Battle to stay and a gun mid we need both.
I'm on your bus there Verdun.

If it benefits the Saints.....I don't giving a flying toss(semi quoting an ex coach here)how selfish we all get.

Cooper Sharman listed at 194cm or 6’4. Is that right? Taller than Carey.
If so give him the #18 and strap in.
Sorry, yesterdays win has bought out the campaigner in me.
Taller than Carey......that's a very surprising stat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone else find it satisfying seeing the Hammer kick some goals on money bags McKay?
Absolutely yes...!!!!!

It's like eating a Snickers bar.....it's extremely satisfying.

That was a free plug there btw.

:) :) :)

Who wants that cat Sheil after what we saw today.
Absolutely went missing when the heat was on.
Surely we can find someone better than that past it receiver?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He needs to stay at the dons and eat into their cap

Adding on to a few others that Ronnie has been quietly chipping away at some good form since coming back into the side. I've been watching him closely the last few games at Docklands and I think what he's doing atm is having an underrated impact on our change in fortunes, providing that cool outlet from clearance wins which we've been lacking throughout this year. He's not necessarily doing anything flashy but he gets that second or third handball once we get possession and more often than not can move it to the right player. Hope he keeps this up.

Remember earlier in the year when "Lloydo" said we're further from a flag than any club...

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Been a while since the Saint could crush sh*t teams like WCE and the Bombers- going right back to GT days. I think we will get couple of reality checks in the next few weeks though.
Brisbane, in Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back